1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Guard Break of Doom/SPoD - Anyone know of a consistent method to do them?

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Junsuina Chikara, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Junsuina Chikara

Junsuina Chikara Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM
    Hi all. I've been maining Akira since day 1 from vanilla and while I feel I got a good strategy most times and can understand when I have advantage, when I'm at disadvantage, I'd like to incorporate Akira's trademark moves into my play :). The SPoD, I can do fairly consistently but not 100% consistently. It's very much linked to what side I'm playing on. On the 1P side, I don't really have much trouble executing it but on the 2P side is where it's hit and miss. I sometimes get it and sometimes I don't. It's not a case of slow timing or anything because I can do it in VF2 which requires speedy inputs.

I think it might have to do with the way I hold the joystick. I don't actually use the ball of the joystick when moving it, I basically put the palm of my hand on top of the joystick and clinch my fingers to hold the front of the ball. With this grip, I often have to let go of the joystick momentarily between inputs to adjust my hand. So what grip would VF players recommend going for? I know it's a case of personal preference but if there are set of known grips that are used with VF, I'd like to experiment and see which of them suits me.

With the GBoD, I'm still struggling to perform it consistently but like the SPoD, I'm much more consistent on the 1P side than on 2P side. I tried sort of tricking myself with the inputs by entering a [4] before [3][P][K][G] so that I can sort of get a flow for the first two parts so I would do it [4][3][P][K][G], [4][3][P][+][K]. I thought of this method because of the way supers are performed with charge characters in SF so as I'm originally an SF player (though I don't care for it as much as I do for VF now :)), I tried to incorporate that method since my mental timing for supers would be pretty solid but I still struggle with it.

So can anyone recommend how to perform these awesome moves? :)

2. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    lots and lots of practice? Im not trolling...im very very serious. Both moves require alot of practice and i dont thinkt here is some special method to doing them

Hui_Xiu likes this.
  3. Richkwondo

Richkwondo Well-Known Member

He's not lying. But really I made some Zen like observations after only two days of four hour GBoD sessions.

If you are having trouble on the 2 p side with SpoD, do the last input as "back +p" rather than forward +P. chAnge your order of mastery if you can master GBoD first , SpoD is easy shit.

As for the first part of GBoD, remember you have to return to neutral after it. So here's what you do; input 3 P+K+G at a shallow angle, 15 degrees rather than the usual 45 degrees. You will return to neutral faster and increase the ease of successfully executing the second part. Don't rush the second input on GBoD . First if all you need a full second pause between part 1 and 2 then, while you see Akira spinning doing part 2, input parts 3 and 4 in rapid succession, you don't need to hit confirm pt 3 and 4. Also about part 2 think of it like a throw, not a strike. So when you input part 2 , press and hold P+k until you see it execute like you would for a throw, don't just tap the buttons. That will increase your success rate.

I am Richkwondo! Bow to your Sensei.

4. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

This is the only advice you need :p

How do you input each move? Looking at your inputs then breaking them down and making sure you're executing them cleanly might help but you'll still have to practice.

With SPoD I input it as [P][+][K][+][G][4][3][P][+][G][4][P] both P1 and P2.

Back when I needed to pratcice the move i'd break it down into sections and made sure I hit each part cleanly.

So i'd start by inputting [P][+][K][+][G][4] repeatedly making sure it was clean then i'd add the [3][P][+][G] and keep repeating it doing the same and so on till I got to the [4][P]. It might seem odd but breaking down the inputs into chunks like that instead of thinking of the command as a whole really helped with my execution.

You can do the same for GBoD. I input as [3][+][P][+][K][+][G][4][3][P][+][K][2][3][6][P][4][6][P][+][K] so if I needed to practice it, i'd break each section down and make sure I could execute each part cleanly before moving on to the next.

Anyway that's about all I can advise, remember if you're struggling with an input like the [2][3][6][P] in GBoD you can always see if the alternate input is more comfortable.

Oh and don't forgot you can't hitcheck any part of these moves if you're going for it, it's all or nothing :)

MarlyJay likes this.
  5. Richkwondo

Richkwondo Well-Known Member

Another good thing about the third and fourth part is, you don't have to return to neutral to do them, so you can go directly from 3P+K to QCF +P . In fact, if you do B,DF P+K at a deep enough angle, like DF at 65~70 degrees, you can rotate the stick QCF +P without ever actually inputing 2(down) . Don't wait to see if you inputed QCF P right, assume you did , and input 4,6P+K immediately. You don't have time to visually confirm QCF P.

6. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Just to add.

The way I learned it was like how Feck said, by breaking it down into parts. I broke mine down into two parts. The first two hits, and the last two hits. You can actually do the move as fast as you want. You don't have to do the second part on hit of the first hit like the game says (least I think it says 'on hit' in the dojo).

I practiced doing just the first two hits for a lil bit till I got comfortable with it. Then just added the last two parts. If you do the first two moves somewhat fast, it kinda gives you a small breathing room/hit checking room cause you'll be/should be done doing the motion for the first two moves before the first move even hits. Then if you see the first hit guard broke him, you can bust out the last two moves.

Once you get on my level (lmao, I'm just kiddin there), if you was playin someone in person and used the GBoD to KO him. You could get up n walk away from the sticks before the third hit even came out! Just hope you inputted everything right, lol.

As far as the last two parts, I guess you kinda got to figure out what works for you.
    i.e. [2][1][4]+[P], [6][4]+[P]+[K]
    or [2][1][4]+[P] then back to neutral for a hot second [4][6]+[P]+[K]. And vice versa if you decide to do the fireball motion in the other direction. I kinda do em both ways. But mostly the first way just cause it flows better.

Here's a couple short vids I did to kinda get a visual of those methods.

Was kinda tired so it's not mega fast, but you can get the idea that you can go as fast as you want.

h3artb3at_LV and Feck like this.
  7. grap3fruitman

grap3fruitman Active Member

I love the advice on this site.

Guy: "I can't get this square peg through this circle shaped hole!"
    VFDC: "Just keep practicing! You'll get it eventually."

Junsuina Chikara likes this.
  8. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    If you're not willing to put in the time and effort to practice then no amount of advice will help you. Period.

Hui_Xiu, Tha_FeauchA and MarlyJay like this.
  9. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Except, I posted a fair bit more than that.

If you're so concerned about the lack of advice here then why not offer your own? Sure would beat that selective quoting malarkey.

10. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico

Heheh. So out of all the replies/advice, and the one you quoted, all you personally got from them was "Just keep practicing! You'll get it eventually."?? ^_^

Maybe your browser didn't load the whole page or something at the time. Should look over it again. Cause I personally think the advice went just a little deeper than "Keep trying". ;)

11. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Just to say (cause it's bothering me ^-^). The whole 'square peg through the circle' thing says Junsuina was aking how to do something that was impossible to begin with! :D

About holding the stick. I personally hold mine like this pic I googled, more or less http://i.imgur.com/4zQaS.jpg . But with my hand more vertical than horizontal like in that picture. I use my first two fingers to move right and add my thumb for the down directions And my third, pinky finger and thumb to move left and up. My hand position kinda changes around though depending on the move I'm doin and when I'm stepping around n stuff. Kinda hard to explain in words.

And sorry if the advice didn't help ya too much. I don't really know what to take from you liking grapfruits post.. But hey, no big deal ^-^ Good luck.

12. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Whenever you're faced with a problem, or challenge, it helps to break it up into smaller parts which are usually easier to manage and solve.

For the GBoD, like "The Future" mentioned, I mentally think about the command in two parts, and each part is like a 2-hit cancel combo in a SF game as far as timing goes:

[3][P][+][K][+][G] > [4][3][P][+][K]

Just practice this until you can keep doing it over and over, on both sides.

Once you're comfortable with the rhythm, you then add the second part:

... > [2][3][6][P] > [4][6][P][+][K]

I like to think of this as a Fireball cancelled with an Ex Sonic Boom.

When you're comfortable (for the time being) with the entire sequence, try to set up practice drills such as:
    • [4][4] > [8] > [6][6] > GBoD
    • Set CPU to Guard then counter with mid attack, attack them with something, guard the counter attack then GBoD
    • Set CPU to tech roll, perform a [6][4][P][+][G] combo or Guard Break combo, immediately dash in and GBoD as the CPU recovers.

Having some "event" precede the GBoD practice helps that practice become routine, rather than monotonously performing the same input over and over again. It also helps you "be ready" for different situations you might decide to suddenly use the GBoD. Repeating GBoD by itself over and over again doesn't really help with that.

The added pressure of completing a longer sequence will ultimately help you.

In a nut-shell:
    1. Break the problem down
    2. Solve each part (using association can help, e.g. Fireball > Ex Boom)
    3. Practice the first part until comfortable
    4. Incrementally add the remaining part until comfortable
    5. Practice the entire sequence in different contexts

Good luck!

13. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    This added a whole new dimension to my execution training.

Here's a setup to train SPoD inspired by Myke's contribution:

Set CPU to guard and respond with mid/throw.
    Perform OM
    Perform 6 P+K+G GB
    Execute SPoD
    If you hit... start again.
    If you're blocked... fuzzy and start again
    Train both sides

After you can do this, include GBoD after you fuzzy or after CPU TR's.

MarlyJay likes this.