1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Guard breaks

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Andramelech, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Andramelech

Andramelech Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Andramelech
    These seem to work great for pissing my opponent off. A nice little animation that makes my opponent look silly while pushing him safely away from any follow up attacks I had in mind.

Is there some key move to use after [2][P][+][K][+][G]?

When you look at the move's stats, you can see that it's only good against a blocking opponent. I may have tried to use this on non blockers, but I know I've hit blockers with it too.

To use this move against those you think are going to be blocking, well, isn't that what a throw is for?

How do you decide on a throw vs GB?

2. Drift

Drift Well-Known Member

Throws can be broken but not evaded.

Guard breaks cannot be broken but can be evaded.

If you're fairly certain the player will just stand & guard, then guard break. If they like to evade, throw.

Andramelech likes this.
  3. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Throws are also more susceptible to abare. Personally, I'd always use guard-break unless I was fighting an evade-heavy defender. I find getting repeatedly guard-broken when I'm playing against Akira forces me to change my defence a lot. When I get thrown, I tend to think 'gah, I didn't break the right direction', and I'll still use guard and just try to mix-up my throw-escapes. When I get get guard-broken, I tend to think 'bloody hell, I can't even guard against this son-of-a-bitch', and I'll start using more evades or crouches, which disrupts my natural flow a lot more.

Just my experience on the receiving end.

Andramelech likes this.
  4. Andramelech

Andramelech Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Andramelech
    I'm glad I asked. Sounds like I really need these.

Will definitely practice this today.

5. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

[2][P][+][K][+][G] only gives +12 so [P][K] is all you get guaranteed. I think it's +14 if it hits from the side so you should be able to get [4][6][P] combos off it. [2][P][+][K][+][G] is throw punishable on hit and CH, you don't want to use any of his guard breaks vs a non guarding opponent but that might be something to keep in mind.

Range on the move a little better than [6][P][+][K][+][G] but I don't use it much, also don't let the fact that it's mid class fool you into thinking there's anything special about it ...all his GB's remove high guard only.

Only use I can think for the move is that it's slower than [6][P][+][K][+][G] so it should beat out your opponents fuzzy attempts but that's nothing a delayed [6][P][+][K][+][G] can't do.

He has like six guard breaks in total but GBoD and [6][P][+][K][+][G] are the only ones worth using imo.

Andramelech likes this.
  6. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    This is o~ld news, but: [2][P]+[K]+[G] vs. ST.

Feck likes this.
  7. ZBEP

ZBEP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZBEP
    Though the framedata says [2][P]+[K]+[G] is only +14 on ST, it's actually +17, so you can do [3] [K][+][G][P][+][G] combos afterwards, or even [2_] [3] [P][+][K] which gives a way harder to escape stagger on ST. Nobody I played ever escaped 46[P] after it )

8. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    No it's +14. Your opponent can't block or evade [3][K][+][G], but they could still counter or sabaki it or even jump to try and mess up your combo. To be clear any combo from [3][K][+][G] at this point is NOT guaranteed.

9. ZBEP

ZBEP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZBEP
    Well, that's only when an opponent knows about it, and his character has parries or sabakis that can catch the move ) If he does, you can switch back to guaranteed combos, or try to catch him on attempt to mess the [3] [K] [+] [G] combo for even more damage.

10. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    So it's not guaranteed yeah? no more saying things like it's actually +17 when it isn't.

Feck likes this.
  11. ZBEP

ZBEP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZBEP
    It's guaranteed on the characters who don't have necessary sabaki or reversal moves, like Jeffry or Akira himself, and it's really worth mentioning since 46P combos don't give that much damage on them. Ok, it's not actually +17, but it's almost like it is )

12. Feck

Just recorded OM -> [2][P][+][K][G] -> [3][K][+][G][P][+][K] in dojo.

Holding [G] seems to work great so far from guaranteed, instead of relying on dojo dummy you should try recording and defending against these kind of setups yourself :)

13. ZBEP

ZBEP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZBEP
    When you HIT with that guardbreak, the recovery frames for akira extend, so you was just doing the move too late while recording. Try to record it buffering 3K+G right after the guardbreak hits, and it will work.

Btw, I just tested it myself, and it seems that jumping doesn't save the opponent from the combo, just like trying to sabaki (with Aoi at least) or parrying. So it's actually 100% guaranteed if the opponent doesn't have a sabaki which catches kicks on the first or the second frames.

Feck likes this.
  14. Feck

Yeah still playing with it and looks like I inputted the [3][K][+][G][P][+][K] too late, let me see if there's any other way around it.

15. Feck

Right, I got no idea. A reversal/sabaki won't even animate in time so that seems to be out of the window.

Tried [1][1][G], jumping etc, no luck.

Looks like thanks to the properties of [3][K][+][G][P][+][K] it may actually be guaranteed.

EDIT: It's not +17 doh :p

16. Junsuina Chikara

Junsuina Chikara Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM
    I still don't understand why [3][K][+][G][P][+][K] is guaranteed after 2PKG on side turn. Can anyone explain to me why it works? On normal guard (not side turned) it's +12 and on side turn, it'll be +15 but why can't the opponent not guard [3][K][+][G][P][+][K] since it's 16f (or might be 17f, can't remember).

17. mfwebdude

mfwebdude Well-Known Member

PSN:
    x_Reikan_x
    here's a few I've tested with recordings in the dojo and could not escape by guarding, jumping, evading, crouching, or reversal:

ST [2][P]+[K]+[G] (+14)
    > [2_][3][P]+[K] (16 frame execution)
    > KNEE (17 frame execution)

ST [6][P]+[K]+[G] (+17)
    > [3][3][P] (18 frame execution)
    > SPoD (20 frame execution)

I think it was ZBEP that answered this for me in the combo thread. From what I remember, it takes an additional 3 frames to block from the side. This would explain why moves that exceed the guard break advantage by up to 3 frames appear to be guaranteed.

I'm curious, does anyone have an example of escaping the initial hit after the guard break, or messing up the follow up combo for any of these (aside from the shoulder stagger recovery)?

Seems like attempting a reversal or sabaki will just give Akira a CH, unless there is something in the game that fast after side turned guard break.

EDIT: hmmm. I just noticed [2][P]+[K]+[G] is +13 from the front if done at the right distance. I'm able to sneak in a dashing elbow. Thinking double palm might work, but I suck at buffering the damn thing...

18. mfwebdude

mfwebdude Well-Known Member

PSN:
    x_Reikan_x
    sorry for the double post. i'm a bit obsessive when testing this kind of stuff. others have mentioned you can alter float height by crouching after a guard break, but i had to see for myself:

http://youtu.be/wHPOSfusrv8

Junsuina Chikara likes this.
  19. Feck

You can definitely crouch vs [3][3][P] in the second example, pretty sure you can vs KNEE in the first example too. The frames make them unblockable but their not ideal moves to be using since crouching will mess up the float.

Way I see it, [3][K]+[G][P]+[K] launcher is truly guaranteed from +14 sideturned because it's a mid-mid string and it's a natural combo on side hit. It can actually be crouched just like the other launchers but the first hit seems to prop you back up allowing the second hit to give a proper float.

Also, some of this has been discussed in the Ask a Question thread but SPoD seems like a waste in your second example. Gets you 67 damage when [3][K]+[G][P]+[K] can net over 90, dependent on character.

mfwebdude likes this.
  20. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

No you can't. Those ST extra frames you can crouch highs, block lows but you can't avoid mids and actually trying to crouch doesn't lower the float either. Can't sabaki or reversal against them either.