1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

I can't figure out this game and I could use some pointers.

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by grap3fruitman, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    That's one reason I like the tournaments in Japan better ( don't know how they do it in China and Korea n all that). They always play across from (or not right next to) each other on seperate screens. From casual arcades to tournaments.

I'm actually kind of suprised after 2 decades or so, USA still doesn't do this... Maybe it's because they have easier access to those type of arcade machines, and the fact you can't system link fighting games.. Probably adds an element of lag or input delay or somethin. I dunno.

Oh well. Doesn't affect me since I don't travel to tournaments.. I still think it's dumb though :D I rmember back in my Street Fighter arcade days, you had to develop tactics for that kind of stuff. i.e. Doing fakes by making big body motions and hitting kick instead of punch to fake fireballs, lol.

2. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    There are little to no arcades left in America. Arcade machines like that are non-existent here and would be a huge investment to try and bring over here and setup just for tournament.

It'd be cool to have, but will most likely never happen here. :(

Tricky likes this.
  3. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

We did this kind of set up for a little while at Next Level NY. Maybe we could try to bring it back for NYG8.

4. R_Panda

R_Panda Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Just requires two monitors and an hdmi splitter, but monitors are generally the more limited hardware (of consoles and monitors), so usually there are as many setups as there are monitors.

5. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

Just pick Eileen and Hop kick when in doubt, Tekken style :p

SDS_Overfiend1 and Chanchai like this.
  6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

For the record, at Northwest Majors, our Top 4 Matches on stage were configured to be head to head :)

The rest of our matches were side by side though. And I'm not even against side by side, but these things are a factor in "reading your opponent." That said, players I've spotted using these "techniques" were also players capable of guessing well in those situations too. And more likely than not, such players are still using just in case inputs and pre-buffers anyway (ie dashing on okizeme and using the dash to buffer your oki options).

Tricky likes this.
  7. Tricky

We should start a thread about the dark arts of offline play and share the secrets. I am a noob in the dark arts. I've only started to scratch the surface. I need the vets to chime in to tell me what's up.

Chanchai likes this.
  8. Lézardo

Lézardo Active Member

PSN:
    LezardoLeopardo
    too much to read sorry but playing akira make you learn true vf game play like P,throw or P elbow mix up,that's for me the core of vf.
    have fun to use all frames :)

9. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

P throw and P elbow isn't a mixup since you can defend from both with a simple fuzzy :p

10. Tricky

only mixup if people don't fuzzy at -2, and lot of folks don't. I hear what you saying though.

11. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

[P] is +8 on counter hit, elbow/throw would be a mixup :p

12. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

Oh well, I tought on guard, my bad

13. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    If you can buffer akira's elbow perfectly and delay a throw with a dash, it's actually a perfect mixup from a jab on block as well :mad:

nou likes this.
  14. Mister

feck and krye should remember this is a tread for a new player :p

SDS_Overfiend1, Tricky and WiZzYx like this.
  15. Throwback

Throwback Member

Well I admit it was hyperbole but the principle is there: Strive to always watch your opponent. You might sometimes need to check something but it should be very rare, once your execution is down.

Really watching your opponent is for me the #1 skill in fighting games - it's the only way read and realise what's going on.

16. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    If you want to do this, it's better with Vanessa. Her 9K is jumping from the 9/10f. Eileens only something like the 16th. :)

ShinobiFist and Tricky like this.
  17. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SDS_Overfiend1, nou and MarlyJay like this.
  18. Richkwondo

Richkwondo Well-Known Member

Sanwa Joystick JLF-TP-8YT Order that part and have someone install it in your arcade stick. Its a Sanwa joystick module. I have it in my custom stick and it's actually more responsive than my Virtua Stick High Grade. (the micro-switches in the Sanwa Joystick JLF-TP-8YT are grouped tighter than they are i the High grade, so it responds quicker). There is such a difference I'm actually upgrading my High Grade's stick with that part. I recommend this because if you installed octo-gates and you are still having problems, the problem is the stick itself.

Take consideration that you are playing with Akira and he is considered an advanced character. Mastering Akira takes a monumental amount of time and dedication. Look at it this way you are better with Akira than I was after a year. Back then I couldn't do the knee outside of training mode.

I'm not going to inundate you with information, basically from what I've seen you improved from the earlier videos, ie i the Aoi fight you were actually comboing more. The Vanessa fight couldn't allow a fair assessment of your progress, because she basically smothered you so you didn't get any good combo starters off. Try doing a reversal in those situations to get some breathing room. If she does a string you can do a mid reversal to her last hit. The thing you need to remember about reversals is it is something to do when you are at disadvantage.
    That is a key point you need to remember because you tend to be at disadvantage (you're hit, you're blocked, they evaded you) a lot. Think of reversals as a get out of jail free card. If you do it too often expect a throw.

You can back crouch dash into double palm to create some space 1146P.
    From what I saw you aren't using Akira's guard break nearly enough. 6P+K+G, into 46P, into combo.

People have mentioned the ten frame buffer. one way to apply it is when you are tech rolling after being knocked down. While tech rolling, buffer in 3346P at the last second to double palm on wake up. It will discourage wake up pressure.

Another use of the ten frame buffer is you can use the last input of one move to be the first input of the next. For example you can hit 43P,33,46P and you will do double palm right after 43P. Basically the 3 direction in 43P makes it easier to buffer in the double palm during 43P.

The most important thing I can stress is for you to maximize your combos. I can see the difference between your first video and your last, and your are making an effort to get all the extra damage you can after nailing the knee. Good show. Have fun with the game. Remember you picked the hardest character in the game, so don't let a few losses frustrate you.

grap3fruitman likes this.