1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Inspirations for Virtua Fighter Characters

Discussion in 'General' started by yegenek, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Wasn't there already a new Universal Soldier with those two? I know I watched one. Unless there's yet another.

2. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    A few weeks ago I watched Dolph Lundgren in his "Killing Machine" movie that was released just last year. Amazingly, the dude still looks the same.

Anyway, I'll go out on a limb and say that Brad's character was mainly inspired by a mix of Tony Jaa and former kickboxing great Pete Cunningham. Probably can mix in the roundhouse kicks of the legendary Benny Urquidez too. It might be helpful for me to dig up some videos on these guys to further explain what I mean.

Kruza

3. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Brilliant, a new Universal Soldier movie. I love the series. [​IMG]

4. El_Twelve

El_Twelve Well-Known Member

I've been reading Kenji since finding it on this thread. Holy crap, all Akira's signature moves are featured in this comic.

And I also found this.
    VF Manga on amazon.co.jp

Virtua Fighter manga drawn by the same guy who drew Kenji! [​IMG]

5. nobody

nobody Well-Known Member

When Goh was introduced, I considered it likely that they had the judoka Masahiko Kimura in mind, at least initially.

[​IMG] + [​IMG] =
    [​IMG] + [​IMG]

6. Kobi

Kobi 'Noh' One Bronze Supporter

XBL:
    Waverusher Kobi
    ^ That's hilarious.

7. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

It's like, ex-squeeze me, but have you ever heard of styling gel?

8. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

I think part of the inspiration for Goh came from MMA fighter, Ryo "Piranha" Chonan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He is the last fighter to have defeated Anderson Silva back in 2004 (not counting Okami DQ in 2006)
    [​IMG]

9. Darthminion

Darthminion Well-Known Member

lol Tony nice one he does look like Goh. How about Kimbo Slice for Jeff [​IMG]

10. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Otherwise not bad, except Kimbo broke to the scene much much after virtua fighter 1 (where Jeff was the first time). Kimbos pro debut was at 2007. Also, he is kinda missing the dreads [​IMG]

11. Jigohro

Jigohro Well-Known Member

Sup guys

[​IMG]

You have to look deeper.

12. Darthminion

Does it matter when?? Dreads or no Dreads that is Jeff until its beaten! lol

13. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    The point Manji is making is that Jeffrey doesn't look like Kimbo. Kimbo looks like Jeffrey. Probably played VF1 back in the day and said, "I wanna be like that"..

Tony and Jigohro, great calls. I think we have winners for those 2 characters.

14. Darthminion

I doubt Kimbo slice played VF1 lol

Pai~Chun likes this.
  15. SPINMASTER X

SPINMASTER X Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SMX-001
    Pretty much every mean mustached kung fu guy in any media get's it's inspiration from Hwang Jang Lee, you can't even argue against that.

Well I'll be damned. There are some definite resemblences to Goh. Thanks for that!

16. Piccoro

Piccoro New Member

This!

I loved Dragon Ball when VF1 first came out (yes, I'm that old...), and as soon as I saw Lau, I immediately thought of Tao Pai Pai.

17. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

It was the same way for me, man ^_^

18. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    Oh yeah! i was thinking the same thing the first time i saw Lau, im pretty sure sega knew it too, it was so blatant also one of Lei-Feis alt is pretty much a Turtle Hermit uniform

19. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Michael Woods</div></div>
    Where's my Jeffry's spinning double air kick?! 8O

20. Sashaz

Sashaz Well-Known Member

Think dragonball also copied snake in eagles shadow. "who taught you Kung fu? I wouldn't hire your dad to wipe my ass"