1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

is sparring better than dojo? give me your opinion

Discussion in 'General' started by Sindanez, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Sindanez

Sindanez Member

PSN:
    baka_247
    thats what this forum is for tricky i want everyones opinion regardless of it being the same or not :oops:

2. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

For some stuff you can only get from Dojo go check out my training video on the recent media page and you'll see exactly what I mean.

More onsolo train, but it's only 8 min and I found some very strong techniques by accident.

3. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Along with the system, start learning your characters BnB combos... using the handy dandy combo lists that are on VFDC http://virtuafighter.com/combos/list?ver=5fsa&chara=wolf (im sure Unicorn and Mister and all the other wolf dudes, put a lot of work into these) Once you learn the basic combos, try to do the character specific ones. (this is the fun part of dojo)
    As for your original question, the dojo mode is best used to create situations and setups. For example, learning the timing of specific meaties that wolf has and ingraining them into your muscle memory. Then you can apply them to your games vs the more experienced players. You kind of need both to get better... if you dont play other people, you wont every have the ability to adapt... and if you never do dojo, you really wont learn the game to its full potential.

4. blossy1000

blossy1000 Well-Known Member

You can practice a lot of things in the dojo. Want to practice basic fuzzy guarding? Set the cpu to block and and respond with mid or throw. Want to practice ecd? Record a situation, like Jeff threat into all followups on three recordings and play them randomly. want to practice fuzzy into low throw escape, set up situations like that from wolf, Goh or other characters with low throws, you can do pretty much anything really.

5. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    Oh i forgot. U got got a thread called dojo drills in dojo section. It s a thread about some exercice to do in dojo to rise ur level

6. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Dojo mode is also super handy to see frame advantage/disadvantage on your moves, so you know what's safe/unsafe etc, even at various distances.

You can practice what things work on your opponent getting up, and what moves beat what attacks.

As someone mentioned before use the Combo section, it's really, really good and the BEST combo page on the internet. Not even joking, no other fighting game page has a list as detailed and easy to use.

7. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Since it didn't seem to be stated very clear: in FS you cannot low throw a stomach-crumpled character. It used to be possible in previous VF versions but in FS the possibility was removed.

Wolf can however ground throw them after counterhit [3][K][+][G]
    but he gets more damage from a real combo and ground throws can be escaped.

IcKY99 likes this.
  8. Sindanez

Sindanez Member

PSN:
    baka_247
    manjimaru with that explanation :) :ninja:

9. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    VF is a game mate, first its about having fun. Pick a character(s) that you like or fighting style(s) that you like go through the tutorial to learn the game mechanics, go to the dojo to learn the basic move set for your characters . Beat challenge mode at least on normal. Have fun why you're doing that. At that point you will have a basic feel for the game.
    Then when you start playing other ppl whether offline or online you will at least know what questions to ask, and how to feel about the answers you get.

IMO there is no right or wrong way to play VF. Do it what ever way is fun for you. Now if the approach that you prefer doesn't lead to winning (if winning is your goal) then you need to see what adjustments you can make that will allow you to win and still enjoy the game. Sometimes winning strategies aren't always the fun strategies;)

Different players around the world play the game differently. Winning & Losing techniques will change depending on where in the world you're playing VF and what VF era ppl are from. VF players from the West coast in the U.S who started playing the game in 90's have a different style than players from England, or Africa who started playing the game in in 2000's. I've seen certain cliques and groups and VF subcultures with tremendous differences in how they play the game and how they win. So much is determined by who you hang out with, who you play regularly and what their approaches to the game are. So much is dictated by what kind of VF clan you come up with. There is no right or wrong mate, there's just different ways to play the game, different ways to have fun playing the game, and a good opportunity to meet some really kewl ppl along the way.

Tricky, Cozby and MarlyJay like this.
  10. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    I agree with play however you want, as long as you can play up to your own standards. The worst thing one can do is make excuses.

I think playing online (or any type of social interaction on the Internet in general) can be risky, because of how easy it is for anyone to hide their tail. It's important for us as individuals to stay as honest as possible about who we are, and what were capable of.

So I think there's nothing wrong with expecting to win, but we shouldn't expect others to be "bad" for our own benefit.

jimi Claymore and MarlyJay like this.
  11. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I am probably missing something.Cozby I don't know why you sound like you're responding to someone's comment, but I haven't really seen anyone say something along the concern you mentioned.

Excuses can be the same as knowing why you lost a match. the problem comes when players think that "I only lost because < insert excuse here >. I would have beat him if I wanted to, but (excuse )."

That some idea is good for growing when it is changed to "I lost because I was caught by (insert tactic here) . I should use (insert counter here)."

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  12. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Lmao....

Zekiel and Kamais_Ookin like this.
  13. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

I would train in dojo seeing as 90% of these posters don't play online on a regular, but are willing to spend time telling you right from wrong, smh.

Zekiel, gastinell and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
  14. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

The one time I wholeheartedly agree with you...

15. gastinell

gastinell Well-Known Member

Y play vf when you can watch it on stream and talk in shoutbox??

Zekiel, Stl_Tim and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
  16. Sindanez

Sindanez Member

PSN:
    baka_247
    i go in dojo to test things at this point... i prefer to go online and learn that way