1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Kage/Shun piss me off

Discussion in 'Jacky' started by Grusselgrosser, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Grusselgrosser

Grusselgrosser Well-Known Member

I don't know how the hell to punish Shun when he lays on the ground, and Kage has a shitload of sweeps and stances. Like that stance where he goes back and has his front leg forward and is kinda leaning backward. What move has enough range to hit him there?

I don't know how you can have a Tier of characters in this game, but deny that the characters aren't unbalanced. Sure, you can win against anybody, but I think its a pain in the ass that Jacky has no sweeps.

Also, the slide shuffle seems mostly worthless against someone who is good. They just low punch and it cancels.

2. HotD

HotD Well-Known Member

Shun is a cheap whore...can't help you there.

As for Kage, I think Jacky's DB, P, K move is able to Kage...otherwise, just pak sao his punch follow ups or sidestep his kick followup.

3. Grusselgrosser

Also, Shun is the only character that can punish people for NOT attacking him. If you leave him alone hes gonna drink and drink and drink. It's BS. You are forced to be the aggressor.

And I've also seen one of my kicks literally go through Kage. It was the K move when Jacky is turned around. When right through the middle of his body during one of his moves.

It also seems a LOT harder to evade Akira than anyone else.

Jacky needs a running attack.

4. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

I'd recommend posting some videos so players here can give you advice. Shun is a character like Lei Fei that you actually need to learn their options to beat them. Just doing what you like to do might work against most the other characters but without understanding how chars like Shun and Lei work, you cant really expect to win.

Jacky is actually a very tough fight for shun if you know what to do. My first bit of advice is use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif to fight him at long range. Most of shun's long range attacks are generally punches so it's worth trying to pak sau (neutral no guard) shun if you think hes gonna try to attack you without getting close first. If you see him run up, evade and throw escape /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif as quite a few shuns are greedy and always go for the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif throw.

Vs kage you need to pay attention when he going into that stance. If he's doing it after he hits you with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, youre better off trying to guess high or low but if he just goes into stance and is waiting around, just try /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

kage isn't a cheap whore but shun is? lol

5. Grusselgrosser

I can beat high level Lei Feis without a whole lot of trouble. I can't beat Shun Dis usually. Even like 4th dans give me some trouble

and sorry I meant the SIDE shuffle

I also tried -> ->K and it sailed right over his head. If i get any closer he fucks me up somehow with his ridiculously long combos.

6. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

Yup, nothing new here since VF2.

I would recommend staying at an uncomfortable range for shun. Close enough to punish him with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif if you see him drink and far enough to not get hit by his close range attacks.

7. Grusselgrosser

But to reiterate one of my points. Shun Di is the only character that forces you to be aggressor. bullshit.

I know its nice to THINK this game is completely balanced, but I really don't think it is, there isn't some empirical mathematical formula that proves that each character is completely balanced

8. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

Who do you consider a "high level" lei fei? I honestly dont think any of them play on XBL. No offense to Ack ":p

9. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

If you decide to get into the game more and improve, you'll see its not as easy as you think it is.

10. Grusselgrosser

Well, to get better I think I'd need to stop using the Xbox controller...

I consider high level (to me) to be Defender, and a Hunter i think? I know I've beaten Lei Fei Defenders on a fairly regular basis, and I've beaten others before. I just know that if I see a high level Lei Fei I don't shit my pants as much as when I see an 9th dan Shun Di.

11. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

Vf5 is WAY more balanced than any street fighter. Example. Fuudo, Chibita and Full Swing winning tournaments with lion who is tied with sarah for the lowest Tier in VF5. No one can win tournaments against top tier players with blanka or zangief in the first version of SF2 no matter how good they are. Fei long in ST aint winning shit either. lol

12. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

I'd recommend not worrying about ranks on XBL so much but instead, what the players can actually do. Another thing to mention is with a poor connection, most this stuff goes out the window.

13. Grusselgrosser

Well the fact remains that Shun Di gives a lot more trouble than Lei Fei across the board. And anyway, what am I supposed to say? They seemed good to me. I've only gotten to Master

14. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

Well, try the stuff I mentioned with jacky. Other than that I would recommend learning all the stuff shun can do and see what your options are for beating them. Can you post videos? I can give you a little bit more advice if I see some of the matches you are playing.

15. Grusselgrosser

Yeah I can but first I have to figure out how to record videos from my Xbox lol. Thanks

16. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

When you do, just post em here and i'll be happy to give my 2 cents.

17. Grusselgrosser

And I'm not saying other fighting games are more balanced, but I don't think theres any denying Kage, and Lei-Fei are better characters than i.e. Jacky. Not saying that is why I can't beat the good players, but all the moves they have is an undeniable advantage.

18. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    O RLY? o_O o_O /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

19. _Denkai_

_Denkai_ Well-Known Member

Jacky is a basic VF character meaning he is better played when someone who follows the basic advantage/disadvantage rule and isn't too abare (attacking out of disadvantage). Shun is an extremely hard fight for Jacky if the Jacky player doesn't know what shun can do for example shun 2k will go under Jacky mid punch attacks and shun is good at punishing so a whiff high K from jacky can spell doom. Attacking at mid range is the best option but even that can be tough if Shun nails you with his sabaki attacks. The trick is to stay at mid range and wait for shun to drink then that's when you attack with 6P+G throw 66K or 3k and when shun is up close use 4k and 6P+K instead of 6P. If your opponent mashes you out of the Side shuffle then don't bother using it when a move is blocked instead only use it if the initial move that you can enter side shuffle (ex. 6P+K 4P) hits this way if they mash they will get hit with Jacky P from shuffle before their move comes out

20. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Grussel,

Jack's low backfist is only half circular, but it's a good substitute for a sweep IMO. It's uncounterable when blocked since forever.

Character's with real sweeps get really punished when their sweeps are blocked... with disadvantage usually twice as bad as the low backfist.