1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Knock-Off Sanwa OBSF-30 (button)

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by Catch22, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Catch22

Catch22 Well-Known Member

Warning, don't buy Sanwa parts from unreliable sources. Bought 6 OBSF-30 from an eBay seller and was sorely disappointed. I should have followed my gut feeling, but the lesson is learned.

Searched the web for any info on the knock-offs, but it seems nobody has posted how to identify the imposter. It's pretty simple just by looking at the differences in the pushbuttons, although the plunger parts are pretty similar visually upon inspection- they do not have the tighter size tolerances of the real deal.

It should be said that I tried using an authentic Sanwa switch on the fake plunger, and that seemed to have remedied the rattling- although it seems the knock-off plunger top is just the tiniest fraction too small for the knock-off sleeve compared to the real deal.

Chanchai and Tricky like this.
  2. Drift

Drift Well-Known Member

Just to provide a counterpoint, I have two Madcatz sticks (a round 1 SF4 and a SFxT VS) as well as a couple of Sanwa-modded Mayflashes from wayback when. The modded Mayflashes' buttons are like the "true" Sanwas posted here, while the stock buttons from the VS and the new buttons I just installed are exactly like Catch22's "knock-offs" ("off" clearances and micro-switches with ribs between the disconnect tabs.) So, if someone is selling knock-off parts, then they're even selling them to Madcatz. I would expect Madcatz gets theirs direct from Sanwa, so this is potentially a manufacturing issue rather than knock-offs.

3. Catch22

Shit,in my haste to get this info out, without doing more investigative work,I forgot to use the disclaimers like "could" or "potentially."

I'd really hate to open up my Hori VF5FS rap stick, so if someone can take a pic of the pushbutton momentary switch, we'd appreciate it.

I really hate to think that Sanwa could be lowering their quality... Or the plunger may have been modified to allow for less chance of binding. All I know is it feels looser, therefore shittier.

Chanchai likes this.
  4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I have a "rattling" button in one of my TE sticks...

5. Catch22

Got this yesterday, had to quench my curiosity and buy myself some HORI RAP V3 SAs.
    [​IMG]

...to see if those "knockoff" Sanwa pushbuttons just really are knockoffs. Cause these are supposed to use real-deal Sanwas- hence the name REAL ARCADE PRO Version 3 SAnwa.

Enough of the bs banter!!! OK... drumroll please!!!

WTF?
    [​IMG]

Ahem... I'll just ignore that, thank you.

Ugh!
    [​IMG]

Let this be a cautionary tale folks! Do your homework first, before making a Video lambasting a product...

But me being me, I'm gonna have to find out for SURE-SURE... 100% that this is just not some "consumer" version of the arcade stuff, I'll buy the stuff like I originally did back in 2002, going directly to SANWA.

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/sanwadenshi/

Funny, cause going to Sanwa's on-line store on Rakuten, there's this WARNING:
    [​IMG]

DomAug and Chanchai like this.
  6. d3v

d3v Active Member

Hi,
    This is d3v from SRK Tech Talk and there is something that needs to be cleared about those microswitches. The "different looking" micrswitches, like the ones on that Hori, are newer Sanwa switches that originally debuted last year with the OBSC-30 transparent buttons.
    [​IMG]
    For those interested, there are a bunch of pics of the first batch shipped to the US (straight from Sanwa) showing those switches on page 3 of the SRK thread.

Catch22 and Chanchai like this.
  7. Gahrling

Gahrling Member

Hi, this is gahrling from some next bastard place of teh internets.

These are not counterfeit buttons, just Sanwa being crap. I've found these new shells & microswitches in Fightstick PRO, SC5, VS, and VX:SA arcade sticks, and individually ordered from suppliers like AkiShop.

If the official Sanwa website carries a warning message against cheap imitations I can only assume they are referring to MadCatz's awful attempts at stock buttons.

Regards,

8. Catch22

Welp, I still like them, but they are not as good as the older stuff. Size tolerances for manufacture of the pushbutton plunger and body obviously isn't the same as before as the plunger has more play within the body causing the rattling, but at least it's consistent and may be just a redesign to prevent binding of the plunger within the body.

Also when comparing the current switches for the pushbuttons (SW-68), the resistance increases about two-thirds of the way down, compared to the even resistance for the old pushbutton switches.

I've purchased their heavy duty RS-SG pushbutton switch that's supposed to survive much more activation cycles just to find out the differences in feel.

I would not be surprised at all if manufacture was outsourced because of the increased demand, but something has changed either in design, manufacturer, or plastic molds; or even a all or a combination of the three. It all may be just for "the bottom line."

That being said, it's not like everything has gone to hell and are a shell of their former selves. They still retain most of the feel of the old gear. I guess using the "better" stuff amplifies these minor deficiencies- that's my take.

[​IMG]
    SW-68

[​IMG]
    RS-SG

9. Gahrling

Gahrling Member

Sanwa RG buttons are where it is at.

That....... is all.

10. Catch22

Dude, that is one seriously scary-ass avatar. Gives me the creeps. Reminds me when I used to listen to Thrash metal- Bay Area Thrash. Then I started listening to Death Metal and ran into this band from Europe. One listen to the cassette and I was shit-scared out of my pants. I had to leave the tape outside- and sold it the next day. There was a goat in a pentagram on the cover liner... and I"m not even trying to be funny.

Anyways, so what's so special about the RG besides being tougher and allowing much more actuations before failure?