1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Option Select Down Attacks

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Lucky_GT, May 2, 2013.

1. Lucky_GT

Lucky_GT Well-Known Member

I believe most people know about this already, but there are a few ways to do this more efficiently using meaties.

Option select down attacks basically allow you to option select a down attack with the attack command that overlaps with what your characters down attack input. For example:

Jean - [3][P] (down attack) or [3][P][P] (string)

Pai - [3][P] (down attack) or [3][P] (string) - From here Pai can do [3][P][K](hold)~[2] cancel and various other mixups.

Jacky - [3][K] (down attack) or [3][K] (string)

Sarah - [3][K] (down attack) or [3][K] (string)

From here, you can setup situations where if the opponent tech rolls, they wakeup into a meaty attack and if they choose not to tech, they get hit by a down attack. Some examples:

Kage - [4][P][K] knockdown -> Whiff immediate [6_][P] -> immediate [3][K]. The [3][K] input will either be a down attack if they don't tech or a meaty sidekick if they do tech (sideturned depending on the character).

Jean - [4][6][P][K] knockdown -> [6][6] -> [6][6] -> [3][P][P].

Pai - [1][K][+][G] CH Knockdown -> [6][6] -> [3][P].

EDIT : Some of the arrows don't work, hopefully everyone still understands. : )

EDIT2 : I almost forgot, these don't work unless you input the command properly. For example if you hold [6_] and slide the input down to [3] for [3][K] you will always get the sidekick instead of the down attack. You must return to neutral I believe.

IcKY99, BlueLink, MDSPrime and 11 others like this.
  2. nou

nou Well-Known Member

And here I am working on my reactions to spotting and quickly identifying....

Thanks for this!

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Lucky_GT, not sure why you're having problems with the command/directional icons but I've edited your post and put them in. Refreshing your cache, and/or deleting any temporary internet files may fix your problem.

4. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

I guess if we're giving out info.

Goh- After every Floater you can [6][6] [K]

After [3] [P][P] If they never tech after anything you can [6][6] [K], [3] [P][P], [4] [K], down grab

The arrows keep messing up.

5. Rare_Entity

Rare_Entity Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Rare_Entity
    XBL:
    Rare Entity
    [1][2][3][4][6][7][8][9] BUTTONS!

FYI, You have to type in the brackets surrounding the number manually. The click able icons don't seem to work.

[ 1 ] (Like this but without the spaces.)

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    466 achieved with the clickable icons (smiley menu).

OK, I just repeated the problem. I'll look into it.

7. MDSPrime

MDSPrime Grappler & Part time Ninja

XBL:
    Pilchard LoveR
    Vanessa's DS [3][K] does it too, just delay the stomp timing a bit and hold [K], if they stay on the floor the down attack comes out and if they roll the [3][K] guard break comes out instead.

No guarentee though, because of the slight delay in timing an opponent mashing [P] can sometimes beat out the guard break.

In Vanessa's OS [3][K][P][K] string works too; I just started using Vanessa again a few weeks ago, such a fun character.

8. Shidosha

Shidosha Well-Known Member

PSN:
    I_Am_Shidosha
    XBL:
    Ur Not Shidosha
    Question: Doesn't all of this get blown up by a delayed tech roll?

I could be wrong but I remember a time when I got a knockdown with pai and went for 3[P]. They delay teched but the down attack still came out (whiffing of course) .

can someone verify for me? I hid my Xbox & PS3 from myself

9. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

Thanks

10. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    That does happen, but it depends on how fast the move is you're trying to OS. There's a bigger window for the OS to work properly with faster moves.

11. no_w_h_ere

no_w_h_ere Well-Known Member

XBL:
    nowhere0
    And the more ACT frames the better I guess.
    About Jean OS the second [P] can be useful but I think it doesn't come out if you charge (even slightly) the first one, right ?

12. Lucky_GT

Lucky_GT Well-Known Member

That all depends on what you mean by "blown up". : )

Yes, delay techs will make this not work but there are ways stop people from delay teching.

13. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Taka and Jeff kind of get fucked up by this because with them it means whiffing an high recovery move, 3P and 3K respectively, thus ruining your oki if they teched.

14. Drift

Drift Well-Known Member

Talking with Trykt today about this very thing. I believe he said Jeffry can option-select K+G (Aggression Wave?) and his heavy butt pounce after 3K knockdown (at least.) K+G is high, but if opponents start to tech and duck, they will get destroyed by all of the meaties Jeff has available after 3K (and there are a lot.)

15. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby

[​IMG]

i get it now

16. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    Ill keep this in mind when i get into the lab, great post

17. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    Since no one is reading the thread i made i just have to add it this one. The tech l created yesterday takes care of all the buffering issues of OSDA........

18. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    Im revising this. OMDOSDA (Offensive Move Dash Option Select Down Attack) and OMOSDA are techs similiar to OSDA but is way more accurate because of its perfect timing. For OMDOSDA it only works with certain knockdowns (circular, Half circular, elbow string etc). For example Jacky's [4][6][K]+[G] you can use OMDOSDA because it doesn't knock them far but [4][P][P] wont work because it sends the person flying back.

Another good aspect of this tech is that its easy to confirm a Just Ukemi( Tech roll). So if you you see your opponent TR you can just use OMD and use any other move that below 16f. OMOSDA works the same way but it works for everyone after certain combo enders/low spins. 4 example Jacky's [4][K]+[G]> [P]>[1][P][P][K] and [1][K]+[G] (CH). Experiment with your character 2 see when u can use these and all characters GT listed can do this.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014