1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Sarah Weaknesses and Potential Work Arounds

Discussion in 'Sarah' started by BeastEG, Jan 27, 2013.

?

How do you find Sarah?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2014.
  1. High-Tier

5.6%
  2. Mid-Tier

55.6%
  3. Low-Tier

19.4%
  4. Good Tourney Choice

13.9%
  5. Tourney Viable

36.1%
  6. Not Tourney Viable

5.6%
  7. Complete Tool Box

16.7%
  8. Decent Tool Box

19.4%
  9. Incomplete Tool Box

13.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BeastEG

BeastEG Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BeastyEG
    Since many of us Sarah faithful find her a little underpowered in the FS system, I figured we could use this to list any weaknesses (or grievances) we have and see if maybe, with our combined knowledge we can find ways to work around it.

My main ones for me so far are:

1) Very bad risk-reward profile for a lot of moves: It seems to me that Sarah has to take bigger risks than most people to get good damage. For example [6][P][K] is an ex-mid that is -18 on block and -8 on crouching block. I don't understand why that is warranted.

2) Not many good built-in OS: Many of her moves are very specialized and are specifically designed to counter certain actions. In addition, nearly all of her moves that can cover two options ( e.g. [8][K]+[G] ) are all step-able to her back, which most mid to higher tier players do now so you don't have good ways of catching it.

3) Not enough mids: Self-explanatory, she is just comprised of so many highs that crouch guard really forces you to use her very limited mid-move set which is risky

4) Sort of Low(ish) damage: While she can get some good damage on CH scenarios, more often than not, I feel like her ability to get decent damage (especially on mid weights and up) is reduced immensely because you can't get her built-in combo ender ( [6][6][K]+[G] ) very easily or even because it's based on stance which isn't as easy to read mid-combo for her.

5) Certain moves kill her main options: All of the kick sabaki's that certain characters have ( i.e. Goh [4][6][K] , Aoi's kick sabaki whose command I've forgotten, Lion [2][1][4][P], Vany DS [4][6][K] and [1][P] for good measure) really take away her options

6) Inability to throw without step in FL: This one is huge for me because you are removing her best tool for both catching side step and opening up standing guard in FL. Maybe the developers felt it was a little OP but without it, FL to me, always feels like just making things higher risk and higher reward as opposed to giving me a distinctive advantage.

Thoughts? I'll post my thoughts on workarounds soon. As for now, please everyone share!

2. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    You can do a circular from FL to stop evade or try the low hit throw if faced with standing guard. Aoi K counter is 4K+G. I personally find the shuffle stance to be completely impractical, but slide feels legit from range or in combos. She deals around the same kind of dmg in general as Pai and Aoi, but obviously this isn't VF4E.

3. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    I'm gonna be sounding real conceited and blunt right now.

You are playing Sarah wrong. All of you. *points randomly* You, you, you, ESPECIALLY you, and probably you too.

Sarah has problems (I sure has heck believe she does), but I think most sarah player blow them out of proportion. Plain and simple, Sarah is a Yomi character. She is not an FS character -- most of your big damage will come from reading your opponents, unlike some other characters, where you can just throw stuff out and get dmg/plus frames/evade cover/mid all at once, etc.

1. If you are constantly taking big risks to get damage, you are probably taking too many risks. 6PK has been -18 on block for like EVER. since VF2 at least, i'm sure. If you are doing things like counterhit fishing alot with 6PK or trying to get into FL with 1K+GK alot and stuff like that, you are using the moves incorrectly. I know because I went through that same mental note. Unlike most FS characters, most of Sarah's moves have VERY SPECIFIC uses.

for example, let's look at 6PK:
    • 6PK is -18 on block, which is far more punishable than what most launchers are on block.
    • 6PK is an EX-High, meaning they will force your opponent to stand up if they are crouching, but unlike most EX-Highs, Sarah is MINUS EIGHT after this, thus well into disadvantage (translation: a really bad position to be in, if your opponent knows about this and is actually good at VF).
    • 6PK allows a TECHABLE combo on normal hit, thus not guaranteed damage.
    • 6PK only grants guaranteed damage on COUNTER HIT.
    Alright, now lets take a look at all of this and examine how 6PK should actually be used. You see that most overall situations (hit/block/CH/whiff, etc) end pretty badly for Sarah, therefore the move should NOT be used often. In fact the only time you get a proper reward for using 6PK is on COUNTER HIT.

So just from seeing the example above, you should be able to conclude that 6PK is a move with a VERY SPECIFIC USE. In fact, since it is a CH-tool, that basically means its SPECIFICALLY FOR YOMI ONLY -- in this case, its for if you properly read an abare attack from disadavantage after they block a 6P. That is a VERY small amount of uses.

But go watch any random player abuse 6PK in matches and wonder why they get blown up. It's happened to me. And I guarantee that one of you guys are being hard-headed and doing it too. Focus alot more on using basic 6P alone.

In fact, the majority of Sarah's movelist is for SPECIFIC USES. So the first question you should ask yourself after getting hit is 'am I using this move correctly?'

1K+GK is a CH tool
    6P4K is a CH tool
    3KK is a CH tool
    3P+K is a CH High Crush tool
    4P is an EVADE-specific tool
    KP is a CH/EVADE-specific tool
    on and on.

you guys are using Sarah all wrong.

2. She is a yomi character also because her moves don't cover as many options as other characters moves. In other words, you will have to use your brain ALOT more playing with Sarah than playing with most other FS characters (666P derp. Jacky string derp. Aoi yin-yang derp. wolf corkscrew punch derp.).

This is just part of the package you signed up for when playing Sarah. Deal with it (and be proud of that fact) or pick Jacky (and turn your brain off). Her moves have specific weaknesses and strenghths.

4K has long range and gives advantage on block, but is blown up by evade
    4K+G is long range and gives knockdown, but allows your opponent to launch you for free if they evade
    3P is fast, half circular, can lead to +5 3PK to Flamingo, and is safe even on a correct evade; but your damage is minimal and leads to a 50-50 rather than a combo.

Again, ask yourself 'am I using her move correctly'? If my opponent is crouching the K of my 3PK and punishing me consistently, why am I using it? Why don't I just use more 3P instead? etc

3. If 6P is not enough to deal with most situations, then your sarah probably needs more focus on the fundamental basics.

4. Again, not using her tools right. Her reliable big damage stuff is all CH (with the exception of Serpent Smash Cannon). Unfortunately we Sarah players have to use more brains (conditioning, exposing abare, etc) for big damage stuff, unlike these other FS characters who play more like Tekken characters than VF.

5. This is a legitimate issue, and can only be addressed by examining certain matchups. But honestly, she is more than fit to be a threat in most matchups, even against characters like Akira, Brad and Lion (and especially against Taka :D I'd say that match is totally free in Sarah's favor)

6. Yes, this definitely sucks. But i don't think most Sarah players understand WHY it sucks (because their fundamental VF skills are subpar).

The ONLY legitimate issue that this causes is that Sarah does not have a mid-throw mixup in flamingo. This is a problem because it makes Evade option vs. Flamingo more powerful.

'well, blackstar, she has FL K+GK, derp'

FL K+G gives frame adv and small damage on a successful read, but it is not as threatening as an immediate 45+ damage from a throw. You can use FL K+G K, but it is a risk that is Launch Punishable if ducked, which is not the case for a throw. This makes things 'less risky' for players who evade against FL moves.

'well blackstar, she has FL sweep, herpderp'
    FL sweep is a great tool, but is also -16 on block. Oh, and did I mention it has TWENTY SIX FRAMES OF STARTUP???

your best bet against evade (IMO, which might be wrong) while in FL is FL K. FL K is like Punch, where you are SAFE if your opponent successful evades.

Another problem is that this makes sideturn game much harder (because you can't absolutely take away evade option, like you can in +8 Sideturn from normal stance rather than flamingo). the most basic VF mixup is mid-throw, and without that to threaten sideturn opponents with, its the same problems as in the front-turned situation, but now you have a more difficult time hitting nasty sideturn counterhit damage unlike most other characters.

4. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    And to all you Sarah's hitting your head on a wall trying to get her slide and step stances to work.

THEY ARE GIMMICKS.

FORWARD SLIDE IS A GIMMICK.
    BACKWARD SLIDE IS EVEN MORE OF A GIMMICK.
    STEP STANCE IS A GIMMICK.

Gimmicks are NOT RELIABLE. They will NOT save you when you are down, and most of the time they wont work when you want them to!

GIMMICKS ONLY WORK WHEN YOUR OPPONENT ALLOWS THEM TO WORK.

So instead of trying to make a basic fundamental VF game by going into B.Slide after transferring out of TWO different stances, you need to act like those moves don't exist. FOCUS ON YOUR VF FUNDAMENTALS. FOCUS MAINLY ON YOUR MOVES 16 FRAMES AND UNDER.

Once you get that down THEN AND ONLY THEN can you worry about trying to get gimmick stances to work. And to get gimmicks to work, YOU HAVE TO TRICK YOUR OPPONENT. But in order to trick your opponent, first you have to truly understand what's going on in the screen in front of you yourself!!

5. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    these last two posts should address 90% of why people think 'Sarah is not good' in FS.

It's not that she's bad, but you're not good at VF (yet). She requires effort, but she has more than what she needs to excel in tournament.

The only thing Sarah players REALLY need to worry about is how to deal with certain matchups

Tricky and BlackGeneral like this.
  6. BeastEG

PSN:
    BeastyEG
    One counter I feel to some of Sarah's problems is [G] canceling mid-string to allow a new string to follow up. The classic is [P]x[G] ->[6][P], which is basically doing a jab to get to +2 on block and then following up with elbow to stuff out [2][P] or [P]x[G] ->[P]+[G] to go for a tick-throw. While fuzzy guard-able, it does allow for you to make a safe offensive poke without allowing yourself to be opened up too much. The key is hitting [G] during the [P] frames to clear the buffer so you can get your follow-up move to come out on the 1st possible frame, allowing for a tighter frame game. Some of the ones I've found most effective are:

a) [P]x[G] -> [8][K] for reflexive [2][P] people since you can get monstrous damage off of it
    b) [3][P] x[G] -> [8][K] since many people want to duck the high [K] follow-up and avoid being at -5 against FL. It's a great way to catch them if they do. I think Shinryu Returns found it so HT to him or her.
    c) [P]x[G]->[4][4][P] although this puts you at back-turn with -1 if blocked, most people can't register it fast enough to understand the situation since it is really fast. I usually follow-up with a [2][K] sweep since it is a 16 frame low with knockdown but a good chuck of Sarah's BT options are good. Hitting BT [4][K] always makes me warm and fuzzy on the inside :D
    d) [K]+[G]x[G]->[6][6][K] used mainly as a wall fishing tool but I find it has great applications on conditioning the opponent. If you use [K]+[G],[K] it actually puts you in a great spot with FL on block but since the follow-up [K] is high, most people duck on reaction/conditioning. Because of the push back of [K]+[G] there aren't too many good options but [6][6][K] can really blow up a lot of stuff since it is fast. Also, near walls this can lead into a heavy stagger to allow for more pressure.
    e) FL [K]x[G] -> [2][K] ~[P]+[G], I think most Sarahs use this already but it's so SO good. Just make sure to hit the [G] fast enough that you don't cancel FL. Especially powerful if you combine with FL [K]x[G] -> [3][K] to catch crouch guard. In my lab testing, I've had some success with evade tracking using these 2, but I'm not sure exactly why it occurs
    f) [4][P]x[G] -> [8][K]+[G] this one I've only started to use but man, it works! I don't like the [4][P],[K] follow ups (even with the just frames) because it can be a big gamble if the opponent mixes blocking high and low (true 50-50 that I feel is not in your favor). However, if you find yourself making a bad read and stuck with a blocked [4][P], canceling it into [8][K]+[G] can really mess with an opponent's head.

Is this BLACKSTAR approved I wonder?

7. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    ^^^^ YES. BLACKSTAR, THE LORD OF ALL THINGS SARAH, APPROVES. :D

8. VF2011

VF2011 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    M-F-B
    Of course the shuffle and the slide are gimmicks, that is the problem. She has some very good moves that only come out when you use those gimmicks.

pp2k was removed since vanilla and is now forward slide 2k. Her throws from FL now require a shuffle first. These were key moves in vanilla and they would be useful here if we had them without the gimmicks.

Her shuffle p,p is a great move to catch sidestepping since its fast, but you have to use the shuffle which means you're probably going to get hit.

Her problem is that she has her best moves hidden away in gimmicks. This means you have to play it safe with her other moves which leads you to becoming predictable.

I'll make a better post later with more examples why I think she sucks in the FS system, but you haven't really covered anything we don't already know. Yes, 6p,k leaves you wide open if you miss, as it should. She has 6p,p to make up for it though.

She also does very little damage for the work required of her and this is a big negative in FS where its all about damage. Since the priority system in the game is based on which move does the most damage, she always loses out. She has almost no priority because her moves are so weak. This also messes her up big time.

9. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    The saying goes: 'don't cry over spilled milk'. It is very annoying to deal with this, but dwelling on this fact doesn't fix anything. Just consider that Sarah 'doesn't even have these moves' and just move on, if you want to keep playing with her.

But even with many of her good moves from Vanilla 'removed'/nerfed, she's still a much better character in FS than she could ever even hope for the far off day to even dream about back in Vanilla.

again, spilled milk. nothing you can do. shrug shoulders. move on.

and it's not like PP2K gave you 80+ damage or anything.

And even if SEGA patched the game and you were given pp2k and FL throw back, how would that improve your game?

like I mentioned earlier, if you're getting hit out of shuffle stance, you are probably using it too much or using it when you're not supposed to. She doesn't NEED Step stance, so stop using it until you can MAKE it useful.

she is only predictable if you are being stubborn an super easy to read, just like any other VF character. And she has too many other good moves to sit around and mourn the loss of the likes of 'F.SLIDE 2K'... :/

by saying 'she has 6PP to make up for it though' proves to me that you missed the entire point of what I was saying in that post of mine. :( *sadface*

Absolutely and totally incorrect.

JacobEvo likes this.
  10. BeastEG

PSN:
    BeastyEG
    I think the biggest problem with calling someone a Yomi based character is that technically if I know what someone else is doing, I should win 100% of the time regardless of character.

I agree with BLACKSTAR that it feels like you need better Yomi to win with Sarah as opposed to the rest of the cast, but doesn't that by definition make her a worse character? Perhaps then the key is that other characters have better options for shutting down their opponent's options?

11. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    I'm going to go on the record and say that FS and BS are actually quite useful if you have frame knowledge of your opponent and a good read on their playstyle.

PPP does the same amount of damage as PK and is guaranteed. That leaves you free to either finish her P strings or move into FS. Depending on how abare happy your opponent is, you can then punish them or move into BS. The only weakness with FS and BS is that it is completely killed by 2P, but again, with a good read on your opponent you can finish her P strings to punish that...

There.....that's my 2 cents....carry on.....

BeastEG likes this.
  12. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Exactly. She is a worse character than probably the majority of the cast for this very reason.

For example, it's much easier to turn your brain off and hit off Jacky strings to rely on damage. They are beatable, they are exploitable, but they are also really good strings where Jacky's opponent has to put in alot more effort to punish Jacky for using random 1P+KPPP (some times with delay, sometimes not) string than it is for Jacky to just mash it when he has the frames.

But at the end of the day, all this means is that you have to work harder than your opponent. Being forced to work harder =/= being tournament unviable or a 'bad' character. Sarah is still a good character

Believe me, I play Marvel. I KNOW what 'having an unviable character' totally means

GustavoHeisenberg and BlueLink like this.
  13. VF2011

VF2011 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    M-F-B
    You're just proving my point. I agree that we shouldn't use this stuff since it leads to taking big damage and I don't use it. My point is that I'm now starting at a disadvantage because most of my character's moves are worthless or buried under gimmicky stuff.

This is what makes her crap, her already limited move list is made even more limited and to get the most out of her attacks you have to use the gimmicks. And if you get hit trying it, good luck making a come back since her damage is so low.

If Sega was going to make her so high risk with the slides and shuffle they could at least have given her high damage to make up for it.

BeastEG and Zekiel like this.
  14. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    I think you are still missing my point.

"Aaaah man, I can't use those spiffy stance moves :'( *sadface*" =/= Sarah has a terrible, unplayable movelist and starts off at a clear disadvantage than her opponent. All that tells me is that you are totally not understanding how good the rest of her moves are.

Does that mean that 3P is not good? A 12f half-circular high that is a safe way to blow up evade? That can be hit-confirmed into 3PK for +5 Flamingo shananigans?

Is 4K, +4 on block into FL stance not good?

Is KP not good? The same move that can net you 90+ CH damage for calling out a MERE EVADE?

Is 8K+G not good? A move that blows up low spammers like Lion for a 1/3rd life on CH?

If SEGA patched all those slide moves into her normal/FL stances, how would that make you a better player? (read: it probably wont)

My point is, you can't seriously think Sarah is a bad character because you can't use SLide/Step. So what? She has plenty of stuff without it

15. Electro_Jacky

Electro_Jacky Well-Known Member

PSN:
    electrolex
    XBL:
    electro lex
    *Rant mode enabled*

No special high attacks other than FL [2]-[8][P][+][K] (more on this move later).

Considering her sabaki [P][+][K] doesn't crumple or knock down, the advantage it gives is poor.

Lion and Kage both have 11 frame jabs and Sarah doesn't?

[3][P][+][K] hit boxes doesn't really avoid highs in the early frames of start up which would be OK if it gave a flop on mC hits which it doesn't.

Killer Bee Assault [6][6][K][+][G] doesn't work when you combo from behind? Yet her FL [2][K] [P][+][G] hit throw does a slightly different animation and extra damage.

FL [2]-[8][P][+][K] doesn't avoid moves when at an advantage.

*Rant mode disabled*

16. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    [P][+][K] gives poor advantage? The fuck are you talking about? You get to interrupt your opponents' attacks and go into Flamingo for free!?

Lion and Kage have 11f jabs? Ok, great, Sarah has an 11f jab, 11f kick, and a 10f jab...

Killer Bee Assault doesn't work from behind? Tough shit, alot of moves for a lot of characters don't work from behind...

I really don't want to sound like an ass, but Sarah is not a terrible character. She is lacking some tools, but the tools she has are very good if used in the proper way. Sarah is meant to be aggressive as all hell, that's why her damage output is so low. With the way she is now, if her damage were any higher, 2 correct guesses and the round ends in 9 seconds.

The only improvement Sarah needs is to have her throws put back into FL stance, and to have her BS sabaki also catch 2P. Aside from that, I'm fine with her. It'd be nice if she had all the other shenanigans as the other characters. But, I'm sure other characters wish they had Flamingo shenanigans.

Her P strings are rich with options.
    Her 3P is rich with options.
    Her 4P is rich with options.
    She has counters for 12f+, 14f, 15f+, and 17f+

She is definitely NOT top tier. But, she isn't garbage either. One of the hardest characters in this game to play against is a competent Sarah, as you'll be lucky to get a hit in.

17. BeastEG

PSN:
    BeastyEG
    If you could only see me drooling at the thought of those things, especially the 2P part.

It would be really nice if you could just do BS without having to do FS as well. I think that would be a fair buff that really open up her options.

18. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    Heres my thought on her step moves Like dingo said if you use ppp or other mover on ch the opponent will most likely freeze up for FS. Switch step is the same thing. Like FL KK2K Switch step for example. Thats how it is 4 most stances and steps 4 all characters. There used to keep attacking on (-)f.Now her BS is a gimmeck. Because she has to go into FS first you waste too many leaving her defensless for like 15f = free launcher. And thats a problem. Like FG Beast said i want is 4 her to have moves that go into he BS like it does with her FS. Like 4ex idk make moves like PPP~ BS. That way she has access to her BS easier.

Because he BS has REALLY good options. A NH mid stomach crumple, High NH Head crumple, A move similar to jacky's bijee that is +17 on ch allowing a free launcher, a low kick that (+) I think and lastly a Mid Circular!! She could reach high dmg like 100dmg with that bijjee punch and like 90 4 the other 2. Doing this + other stuff will make sarah high tier in VF6

19. Electro_Jacky

Electro_Jacky Well-Known Member

PSN:
    electrolex
    XBL:
    electro lex
    Wow if you're not trying i'd hate to see when you are. Anyway i'll give you respect in my post regardless.

Nothing is free in this game. First [P][+][K] gives only an advantage of 4 frames for a correct guess. A BLOCKED [4][K] gives 4 - 7 frames of advantage for example. [P][+][K] is too slow on top of all that and doesn't work that well (if at all) when at a disadvantage. So what's the point of having a slow ass sabaki that doesn't work at a disadvantage?

If it didn't matter all jabs would be the same speed no? There's a reason why some characters do and some don't it's not by accident.

I don't care about other characters, the facts are it doesn't work, and for no reason. When SEGA could of easily made it work. If they went to the trouble of programing it to work against Taka then why not during a combo on an opponents back? There's no logic to it considering how her low hit throw has been programed to work on a back turned opponent.

I Never said she was a poor character? The whole thread is here to talk about why she has it hard in VF5FS and how to overcome if possible. I could easily find tons of things that make her useful but my post wasn't aimed at her good points.

20. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Alot of you guys are on the thread creating 'move wishlists' that will never be heard nor acted upon.

Do yourselves a favor. Save yourselves the heartache from futile efforts and use this thread to come up with ways/strategies/tactics to WIN MATCHES with what she has now.