1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Spacing with Aoi (Is this Tekken?)

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by Chanchai, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

In previous VF games, I used to play Aoi moving forward. My game was built on a lot of pressure moving forward and a good amount of zoning mixed in. So it was like 80% moving forward and 20% backdash or b,b+P+K(G) zoning.

In VF5, I feel her pressure game is now very specific. You really have to know what you're doing and there isn't much room for error. I still apply the pressure game, but now it's like 20% of the time when I feel the momentum is on my side (talk about a scrubby way of feeling it out, but that's the best I can explain it).

For the most part, 80% of my VF5 Aoi is playing her like it's Tekken with lots and lots of footsy/spacing, safe poking, waiting for a good dodge or opening and using b+K or anticipating a low and going for ff+K. Also the occasional dash and throw or dash and elbow.

If the opponent puts the pressure on my Aoi, that's when I use more of her conventional attacks, but again, I'm only initiating these situations myself 20% of the time now. The opponent has to put pressure on me for me to use her standard P(G) Nitaku, b,df+P+K, low kick, sweep, elbow games, reversals, etc...

I really am actually enjoying Aoi in VF5, but clearly my game has become much more passive with her in this iteration. The rush and trap mentality is hardly there, I'm just waiting to use it when an opening really exists. I've become super defensive with her.

Again, nowadays when I play Aoi, it's like I'm playing a Tekken style game with her. This is not a rip on Tekken, just a sort of weird feeling in VF.

Has anyone else ended up playing Aoi this way in VF5?

-Chanchai

2. nin

nin Well-Known Member

Well, IMO i dont think she is this bad in VF5, she still have a lot of great moves. You just need to be good with your hit checking, also make some changes to your FT flow chart and it will be fine.

She can't elbow aimlessly anymore in VF5 for sure, but I kinda like it. It really makes her more technical to use. Aoi shows her real abilities when she is in disadv. EG, your elbow being blocked, you will have options like YY stance and 236P+K to bring the adv back to you. Once your opponent have "learn" the lesson not to hit back, now it's your chance to nitaku again!! She really can condition the opponent with her tools like: 44P+K , 4K & 23P ( this is why Sega made her P 12f now, I guess)

Therefore I think the "rushing" factor is still there but needs a higher understanding of her.

AS for the Tekken playing style comment, I can say you will lose if you play like that in VF5. Because you are letting the opponent to attack with whatever they want, you simply dont know what to expect and all her tools became pointless.

So IMO the keyword to play AOI is: condition your opponent (make them do what you want them to do).

3. Judah

Judah Well-Known Member

Just spam /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, Chanchai. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Really though, Nin hit it square in the jaw. Though Aoi evidently does have good spacing properties, I went over it very briefly earlier, i'm not entierly convinced it's a sound game plan.

I might make a video-faq with situational spacing scenarios for Aoi, but you guys are probably smart enough to figure it out.

4. AkiraBahn

AkiraBahn Member

Shes always reminded me of a tekken character, the way use her and moves etc. I've not really used her much on this one yet but I know I like her a lot more than I did in the previous ones.

5. Chanchai

Thanks a lot for your response, nin /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Your Aoi posts are some of my favorites!

It'll take time for me to develop my VF5 Aoi. And yeah, playing in this "Tekken style" is probably only temporary. It does show me how limited I was playing her before in VF4 Evo (sadly, I never played FT until I visited New York last year). I was too reliant on such a small subset of moves, particularly elbow rushing.

And I don't think Aoi is that bad in VF5 at all. I just think it's an upwards battle relearning her /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif But that's the type of challenge we've always looked for in VF anyways, right?

I do like the fact that Sega made her a much more "technical" character. She sort of was before, but they seemed to have upped the bar in VF5. And hit-checking is something I could really improve in my game, so it's good incentive.

Again, thanks for the great reply. I'll keep making adjustments to my Aoi game--make her more complete /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I would love to keep up the "Aoi Rush."

-Chanchai

6. MrSlants

MrSlants Well-Known Member

I think VF5 Aoi finally fits her fighting style.

7. Chanchai

Hey bro, can't wait to see how your VF5 Aoi is shaping up! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Keep me updated will you?

8. mangudai

mangudai Active Member

I thought it was just me.

9. Chanchai

I have to admit I'm starting to rushdown with Aoi again, starting to get more aggressive, but I do have a range game too with her. I just don't default to it as much as I was a week or two ago.

The balance is something like forward 65% of the time and spacing/zoning 35%.

Nin's advice has helped quite a bit. Another thing that's helped is just using her f+P+K on guaranteed situations and after evading certain moves. It's sort of getting me comfortable with rushing with Aoi again, so long as the opponent is generally standing up when I do this. In some cases, I'm even using her f,b+P,P,P+G sabaki hit-throw to decent effect.

It's getting closer to a balanced (in terms of range) game. And I'm starting to feel like I can apply pressure with her, just not so much with P(G) as before.

I'm starting to pick my moments with the elbow too, but I plan to start using the elbows more often overall eventually.

It's been an interesting relearning experience with Aoi in VF5. But that also means it's been pretty fun /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

-Chanchai

10. mangudai

mangudai Active Member

What does 236p+K etc mean

11. Chanchai

236P+K is the numeric notation (based on the numpad) for:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

which could also be called qcf+P+K (quarter-circle-forward+P+K).

And it's a good move in Aoi's repertoire /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

A lot of Eastern players use the numeric notation for VF. It's starting to become more common on VFDC as well. Because of that, I don't mind someone explaining it each time someone gets confused. It's not intuitive right away for most people, but I will say it's much easier to describe moves out loud with the numeric system.

So here's a comparison diagram of the numeric keypad and the directional inputs

7 8 9 | /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif
    4 5 6 | /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif
    1 2 3 | /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif

Hope that helps /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

-Chanchai

12. mangudai

mangudai Active Member

Thanks!

13. SweepTheLeg

SweepTheLeg Well-Known Member

Chanchai you are the nicest person on any forum. Cheers to you sir.

14. puddin

puddin New Member

What's up! Really new hear, been trying to ramp up my VF5 game for the 360 release. This thread caught my eye for the Tekken reference. It's funny I saw this today, last night I started playing Aoi for the first time looking to expand past Shun and Lei-Fei. Seriously within a few minutes after picking her up it dawned on me how comfortable I was with her style and I had the thought that it was because she had a very Tekken feel.

As someone who has been playing Tekken religiously for the past decade I'm going to say this worked out good for me. It makes her a great transistion character from one game to the other. There's no denying that getting into a VF mindset after obsessing with Tekken gameplay mechanics for so long is a hell of a task.

So, sorry there's no actual strategy in my post at all. Maybe that will come later (much later). But I would like to say thanks for all the info, this site has been awesome for knowledge!

15. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

I can't wait to get on playing with Aoi again after a Virtua Fighter absence since VF4. Back then in the times of Virtua Fighter 3 & 3 TB I found that Aoi was the cleverest character with astounding fighting options, and repertoire. I hope she does well in VF5, too, now.

VF5 on the 360 - here I come again.

16. Ratnad

Ratnad New Member

Perhaps Aoi feels more comfortable because she is more orthodox than Shun or Lei Fei. Those are two characters I wouldn't recommend to anyone who is newer to Virtua Fighter. I got to say playing Aoi can be a whole lot of fun when you get people all screwed up with her mixups and cancels. It only gets better when you start knowing what your opponent is gonna come at you with and reverse them.

17. Hostile_Evil

Hostile_Evil Member

lol aoi is so beast~!

but i must say that if you had played doa4 (its counter system is okay and yes its not the best fighting game but us 360 preowners were lacking a good fighter and thx god for VF5) Back to the counter system of doa4 it was pretty easy to use aoi revseals efficently because i bevile the timeing is almost the same in doa4. SO that is good and you know she is quite like auska(tekken) but im pretty sure auska was the copy cat of aoi anywho what im trying to say is that she is very universal she has a decent combo game, monster throw list, counter or reversals and she even has frame advantage~!

sorry if this is pointless i just wanted to post something about aoi and plz excuse my spelling i know it is pretty poor~!

18. JackyB

JackyB Well-Known Member

I've been doing a lot of rushing with Aoi, granted it is still very early in qeust mode for me with Aoi..I mostly a Jacky player, so maybe my background with Jacky, makes me rush more...however kudos to Sega, Aikdo is a stand and wait style of fighting, you counter the opponent with it. So it is true to the stlye not to rush.

19. Chanchai

236P+K is numeric notation (based on the numpad) for:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

It's a good move of Aoi's that can sabaki high punches, mid punches, and elbows. It's an excellent move actually. But if the opponent blocks it, they can force a strong mid/throw guessing game on you.

20. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Of course... you could always do it again until they catch on.