1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Special Option Selects: Buffer Window, Command Interpreter and Special State

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by G0d3L, Apr 12, 2016.

1. G0d3L

G0d3L Well-Known Member

In this post I'll explain the two option select I found a few months ago and just shared with Nero (he wrote about them in this post of the Lau's Ukemizeme Guide) and why they are "special".

They are very helpful defensively on your wake up and in other situations when you are in a "special state" (more on this later).

Guard Meaty + Evade Non Meaty + LTE

If you perform a Fall Recovery this OS will let you guard a meaty (provided you guarded standing the highs/mids and crouching the lows), evade a non meaty (provided you guessed the correct side for the evade) and lazy throw escape (forward, neutral and back).

I want to remind that if the opponent tech rolls to the side you cannot do an high meaty (the defender will regain all his options)

Please beware that if you quick rise (aka tech in place) instead your actions will be limited (block/don't block + standing/crouching) for 20 frames (instead of the 3 on a side tech roll) and you'll be susceptible of high meaties.

It all started in december 2012 when in preparation for Cannes 2013 while playing online the Kingoflagabuser I got Tenchied out of Kage's [K][+][G] meaty.
    So I went to dojo and try to see if it was just lag, me misstiming it or I was missing some properties about the wakeup mechanichs.

I recorded my knockdown with the proper meaty and while using Aoi I tried to mash Tenchi to see if it worked and by my surprise while holding down [P][+][K][+][G] for tenchi I was able to guard the meaty [K][+][G].

At the time there was so much to be discovered in the game and I was trying to find a way to analyze the frame data for the meaty mechanic that I left this on hold and then forgot to investigate further.

Then later, during 2015 Nero told me about this OS for blocking a meaty and attacking if the opponent went for the throw (the shortcoming of this OS is that a non meaty blows it up for CH damage)

So I remembered I had still on hold that thing to understand and went to study it.

I found this OS but beacuse this last year I was so much into Xrd I forgot to post it.

A few days ago after Nero wrote the first post of his Lau's ukemizeme guide it took back on my mind my findings and so I told him about this new OS.

After that I had developed some minor improvements and I'm going to share what I know at this point.

How to perform it: the optimal way

This way of applying this technique is the safest possible but input wise it is a little bit harder then the easier version.
    The easier one suffers of more risks tho.

When you perform a Fall Recovery before the buffer can register any attacks press again and hold [P][+][G] or [K][+][G] or [P][+][K][+][G].

I recommend using [P][+][K][+][G] for a few reason:

- if you input it late you get what your charchter does with a standing [P][+][K][+][G] and any hit should be on normal hit while if you have inputted a late [P][+][G] or [K][+][G] you'll get a throw or an attack and you'll be hit on counter hit

- you get one more input for the Fall Recovery if you missed your previous attempts

- if by mashing [P][+][K][+][G] while trying to perform a Fall Recovery you pressed them one time too many then holding the buttons down will count as holding [G] and you'll guard but no evade will be exectued

The steps of this OS are:

1) As soon as you have inputted [P][+][K][+][G] to perform a Fall Recovery press again and hold [P][+][G]/[K][+][G]/[P][+][K][+][G].

2) During the window when you can buffer an attack, while still holding [P][+][G]/[K][+][G]/[P][+][K][+][G], tap [2] or [8] for the direction you want to evade.
    The timing for this step varies depending if you performed a side tech roll or a tech in place.
    In the case of tech in place you have to wait a little bit more compared to the side tech roll.

3) Then you'll have to decide to stand in order to block a high/mid meaty or hold down a few frames in case you want to block a low meaty.
    In case you want to guard a low meaty you have to just input [2_] at the very end of the Fall Recovery.

4) If you want be safer you can OS a forward or crouch dash to cancel a possible failed evade.

5) Then you let go off [P]/[K]/[P][+][K] while still holding [G] to enter the guarding state.

6) Finally you pressed and hold down [P][+][6]/[5]/[4] to perform a Lazy Throw Escape.

How to perform it: the easier version

With this easier (input wise) version you'll be able to guard the meaty, evade the non meaty (provided you guessed the direction) and escape the throw (still provided you escaped the direction).

1) As soon as you have inputted [P][+][K][+][G] to perform a Fall Recovery pressed and hold [P][+][G]

2) During the window when you can buffer an attack, while still holding [P][+][G], tap [2] or [8] for the direction you want to evade.
    The timing for this step varies depending if you performed a side tech roll or a tech in place.
    In the case of tech in place you have to wait a little bit more compared to the side tech roll.

3) Then you'll have to decide to stand in order to block a high/mid meaty or hold down a few frames in case you want to block a low meaty.
    In case you want to guard a low meaty you have to just input [2_] at the very end of the Fall Recovery.

4) Finally you pressed and hold down [6]/[5]/[4] to perform a Lazy Throw Escape.

The flows of this version of the OS are:

- If you press [P][+][G] late you'll get a throw attemp resulting most probably in being hit on CH.

- Not inputting a failed evade cancel you'll get tracked during the failed evade recovery.

- After the failed evade recovery is over you'll find yourself NOT GUARDING. To be able to guard again you need to release [P] but then you'll not inputting a throw escape anymore.

How and why it works

Now let see how and why this OS works.

As soon as you start a Fall Recovery you enter a state during which no input are accepted except for the [G] one.

After this recovery ends you're still in the Fall Recovery animation and the window buffer will start accepting commands.

While you're getting up just before being able to regain all your options (attack and movement) there are some frames when you can only guard or not guard while standing or crouching.
    This particular state is 3 frames in case of a side tech roll or 20 frames in case of a tech in place.

During this particular state the command interpreter will enter a special state and will only check if [G] is pressed and if you are standing or crouching, ignoring all the other buttons that are held.

After these frames are over the command interpreter will exit this special state and process normally whatever it has been buffered.

So holding down [P][+][G]/[K][+][G]/[P][+][K][+][G] before the window buffer starts will count as you guarding only during the frames when you can only guard or not guard while standing or crouching.

This way after the wake up animation is over and you regain all your options (attack and movement) you'll find yourself not guarding but being able to freely move.

And if in this state you let go [P]/[K]/[P][+][K] you'll have yourself guarding.

This means that while holding [P][+][G]/[K][+][G]/[P][+][K][+][G] after you perform a Fall Recovery if you input an evade, before you regain all your options (attack and movement) but within the window buffer, the command interpreter will process the evade as soon as you exit the state where you can only guard or not guard while standing or crouching.

Risk/Reward

This OS is really powerfull but has its owns risks:

- You still need to guees between mid or low meaty

- You need to guess the correct side where to evade.

- Loses to non meaty full circulars and if you chose the wrong side to evade even to meaty/not meaty semicircular.

- If you have put an evade cancel after it you'll be in a jail evade situtation if the opponent really delay his attack.

- If you didn't cancel your evade you'll be tracked by every delayed attacks.

Let see what you'll get as a reward:

- You'll guard the meaty (provided you guessed the level by standing or crouching)

- You'll evade a non meaty (provided you guessed the direction where to evade)

- In case you'll evade a non meaty most of the time if it is off by a couple of frames (most of the meaties don't cover all of the 5 frames when you can QR or TR) you will not be able even to punish it with [P][K].
    So treat it as as very strong side turned situation.

Mixing it up

This OS, like all other techs in VF, gains effectiviness if you mix it up with other stuff:

- no Fall Recovery

- Fall Recovery with normal defense

- OS for guardind meaty + Attack to beat throws (later on the OS for attacks that requires a [P] in the input)

Uses outside of wake ups

The concept behind this OS can be applied to all of those situations where you can only guard/not guard because the command interpreter will act as described before.

I didn't put too much reserch but I found a couple of situations where it can be applied.

Akira [6][6][P][+][K]![P][+][K][+][G] > [P][+][K][+][G] > [P]/[K]

When hit by the hit throw hold down [P][+][G] (in this case there's no drawback for using [P][+][G] because the window of the animation is very long and so it's easy to enter [P][+][G] before the window buffer begins) wait for Akira to enter the stance and do a couple of steps forward (look at his feet to get the timing) then input your evade and then guard standing and immediately after tap [2].

Because the [P] followup is a a few frames faster then the [K] one you'll be able to block both and in case he delays the followup or goes for a guard break or something else not from the stance you'll get the evade (provided you guessed the correct direction for the evade)

Jean [6][6][P]

You can do the same as for Akira's hit throw except here you have to guess between the mid (usually the knee) and the low ( [2][K][K]).
    But with this OS you'll evade his guard break and other slower attacks.

Guard meaty + Attack with commands that require [P]

I'm explaining this OS only now but in reality I discovered this one first and it then led me to the one I explained above.
    Infact after Nero told me about the OS involving [K][+][G] on wake up to guard the meaty and beat the throw I thought of a way to get the same result but with [P].

The concept obviuosly is the same.

How to perform it

You press [K][+][G] while outside of the window buffer and hold it.

Then while in the buffer you input your attack that requires the [P] button (I'm still trying to figure out if it's possible to buffer somthing like [3][3][P] ad still be able to guard a mid meaty).

The command interpreter will then execute [G] if an attack is going to make contact durig the inability frames otherwise it will execute the attack done with [P].

This OS is helpful for those character with good launcher involving [P]

Where to use it

You ca use this OS in the same cases as before when the command interpreter enter its special state.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    VFnumbers, Santanero, akai and 8 others like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Thanks for sharing this @G0d3L!

About the procedure, is the following summary correct?
    1. Initiate Tech Roll (TR): [2] or [8][P][+][K][+][G]
    2. Before Input buffer, press and hold: [P][+][G] or [K][+][G] or [P][+][K][+][G]
    3. During Input buffer, enter Evade: [2] or [8]
    4. At the end of the TR, choose between standing or crouching Guard versus Meaty Attacks: [5] or [2]
    5. (Optional) Dash cancel the failed Evade versus Delayed Attacks: [6][6]
    6. Release any non-Guard buttons while still holding [G]
    7. Press and hold [P] along with [4] or [5] or [6] for a Throw Escape.
    Rewards:
    • Meaty attacks successfully guarded (provided you guess standing vs crouching)
    • Non-meaty attacks successfully evaded (provided you guess direction)
    • Throws successfully escaped (provided you guess throw direction)
    Given the above, I have the following questions:

Firstly, regarding step 2, why can't you simply enter [G]? That is, why is it necessary to combine [G] with other buttons ([P] and/or [K]) only to release them shortly after?

Secondly, I'm wondering about the transition from step 5 to 6: does release of the non-Guard buttons result in the dash being Guard-cancelled? Or would you have to release [G] and tap it again to cancel the dash?

VFnumbers, Tricky and Kruza like this.
  3. G0d3L

G0d3L Well-Known Member

That is correct

Pressing [G] alone you'll end up just blocking even after the inability frames are over.

You need to press other buttons at the same time of [G] to take advantage of the command interpreter' special state and have it just block only during the inability frames and freely move after them.

To see it more easily use the Akira's hit throw example.

Record Akira doing [6][6][P][+][K]![P][+][K][+][G] > [P] (input the [P] follow up asap)

Make it hit you and during the long animation after it conected, but outside the window buffer, press simultaneously and hold any buttons combination with [G] in it.

Doing so you will be able to block the followup [P] and after it, with still the buttons held, you'll be able to freely move (and if you have the P or K button not pressed you'll be able to execute any [P]/[K] move/string).

Please if the "How and why it works" section it's not clear please let me know and I'll adjust it accordingly.

How and why it works

Now let see how ad why this OS works.

As soon as you QR or TR you enter a state with a recovery longer than the window buffer and except for [G] alone the command interpreter will read the button/combination of buttons you pressed but will not execute it later on no matter what.

If an attack is going to make contact during the inability frames (3 frames when you can only guard/not guard while standing/crouching) the command interpreter will enter a special state and will only check if [G] is pressed (and if you are standing or crouching) ignoring all the other buttons that are held.

After the inability frames are over the command interpreter will exit this special state and process normally whatever it has in its buffer's queue.

Anything held before this window buffer, except for [G] alone, will not be put in the queue.

So holding down [P][+][G]/[K][+][G]/[P][+][K][+][G] before this window buffer starts will count as you guarding only during the inability frames and nothing when you regain all your options.

Waking up this way you'll find yourself not guarding but being able to freely move.
    And if in this state you let go [P]/[K]/[P][+][K] you'll have yourself guarding.

This means that while holding [P][+][G]/[K][+][G]/[P][+][K][+][G] after you QR/TR if you input an evade, before you regain all your options but within the window buffer, the command interpreter will process the evade as soon as the inability frames will be over.

Then input [6][6]:/[3][3] while still holding [P][+][G]/[K][+][G]/[P][+][K][+][G] and after that let go [P]/[K]/[P][+][K] to guard.

Immediately press and hold again [P][+][6]/[5]/[4] to LTE

Releasing all the non-Guard buttons (and holding down [G]) after the inability frames are over will count as blocking.

But if you are in the process of a failed evade you cannot guard and pressing [3][3]/[6][6] will let you cancel your failed evade and guard cancel asap.

You can release [G] but you are making the execution thighter because you have to press again [G] first and then [P] risking of not being fast enough and pressing [G][+][P] resulting in a throw attempt.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  4. G0d3L

G0d3L Well-Known Member

Edited the OP:

- full icons notation added

- easier (but riskier!) version of the OS added

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  5. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    All of that thanks to my Kingo Option Select, and I didn't get any credits ?? !!! :D

G0d3L likes this.
  6. G0d3L

G0d3L Well-Known Member

I did give you the credits...for mashing tenchi like a monkey and forcing me to check why your mashing was surprisingly successful!

Do you really want the credits for discovering it more than 1 year later than me???

Sei lento!!!

Mister likes this.
  7. Ares-olimpico

Ares-olimpico Well-Known Member Content Manager Lion

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    @Myke.
    I think this tech must appear in the defense technics compendium. Here a lot of people don't find even if he knows this technique exits.

Tricky and Myke like this.
  8. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Strongly support this being in another section

Chanchai likes this.
  9. G0d3L

G0d3L Well-Known Member

OP has been edited in order to accomodate some needed rephrasing as pointed out by @Tricky
    I hope that now the post is more clear.

As a side note i want to thank @Superspacehero for helping me remembering a related tech that I completely forgot to share.

With this tech you'll be able to perform a "Goroshiki" with moves that have inputs with [P][+][K] or with [K] when not possible to use [K][+][G] due to an overlap in the command list.

I'll edit the OP with the new tech as soon as possible

10. Tricky

It is only now in 2021 that I'm finally understanding the implications of this tech.

VFnumbers and Chanchai like this.
  11. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    @G0d3L can you double-check your first post's formatting? The last spoiler (How and why it works) seems to contain a bunch of other spoilers, and I'm not sure this was intentional?

Chanchai, G0d3L and Tricky like this.
  12. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    What's the counter to this defensive tech?

VFnumbers likes this.
  13. G0d3L

G0d3L Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up.
    Now it's fixed

Chanchai and Myke like this.
  14. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Read about the risks (in the Risk/Reward spoiler) to understand the weaknesses of this tech, and how you might counter it.

Chanchai likes this.
  15. R_Panda

R_Panda Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    I'm confused by this line, it sounds like using goroshiki with [K][+][G] would require a [P] attack to execute successfully. If one were to use a [K] attack, one would have to use [P][+][G], like in this video.

And to double check my understanding, it's impossible to use goroshiki with multiple-input attacks, right? So you aren't talking about a [K][+][G] attack, right?

Wait, goroshiki with [P][+][K] is possible?! Please explain. Brad would need to use [P][+][K] or [K][+][G] to goroshiki with a launcher, but I don't understand how that would be possible.

Additionally, is there really no thread on goroshiki on VFDC? I searched for both "goroshiki" and "goro-shiki" and found only this thread. Also also, there's no link to this thread from the Defensive Techniques Compendium, but I really think there should be.

Chanchai and Tricky like this.
  16. Tricky

@G0d3L when you adding that P+K version of the tech? Don't need all details on why it works, just inputs is enough to start.

17. G0d3L

G0d3L Well-Known Member

P+K move > P+G

18. Tricky

Inputs from tech roll please.

19. Tricky

like myke did here @G0d3L

20. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Until @G0d3L elaborates further, I don't think Goro-shiki is possible using anything other than a single button ([P] or [K]) input to defeat the throw. Why? Because everything we need to know about why and how it works is contained in this thread.

Quick Review
    How do you guard a meaty after Fall Recovery? Easy, you just hold [G]. But how do you guard a meaty after Fall Recovery AND still be able to act freely (e.g. evade, attack, etc.) against a non-meaty option?

This is essentially what all these "Goro-shiki" techniques described in this thread achieve: an Option Select defensive technique against meaty and non-meaty options after Fall Recovery.

In the OP, @G0d3L describes a Goro-shiki variation that guards a meaty or evades a non-meaty attack. He then goes on to describe how you can make that evade "safer" by dash cancelling it with a guarding throw escape. This tech is "old" in that it was first posted on VFDC back in 2016, but if you follow the references back to a post by @-nero- he links to an even older YouTube video titled VF5FS 五郎式 わかりにくい解説付き (roughly translates as "Goro-shiki with confusing commentary") posted in 2013. It demonstrates Jacky successfully guarding Pai's meaty [9][K] or performing [6][K] against any throw attempt, almost as if by magic (hint: it's not magic).

How to Goro-shiki with an Attack
    In the OP, it is suggested that immediately after performing your Fall Recovery, that you input and hold either:
    1. [P][+][G] or
    2. [K][+][G] or
    3. [P][+][K][+][G]
    And as you're nearing the end of your Fall Recovery / entering the input buffer, you should input your evade ([2] or [8]) then proceed with the defensive techniques/inputs as described in the OP.

But for a more offensive / abare approach, you can Goro-shiki with an Attack. In this case, forget about holding [P][+][K][+][G] input after the Fall Recovery, because you'll want one button free for use in the actual attack!

So, you've just performed Fall Recovery (e.g. [2][P][+][K][+][G]) then immediately input either [P][+][G] or [K][+][G] which leaves the remaining button as [K] or [P], respectively, free for use in an attack input. Now, go ahead and enter that attack while the original two buttons are still held down.

For example, Jacky can enter the following sequence:
    1. [2][P][+][K][+][G] ... Fall Recovery
    2. [P][+][G] (hold) ... guards meaty
    3. (while [P][+][G] held) [6][K] ... attack against non-meaty
    If a meaty attack is performed, it'll be successfully guarded by the [P][+][G] (hold), but if a throw is attempted (or a really slow attack, too) then the [6][K] will execute and win. However, if a non-meaty attack is used then you will be CH! So, while this technique might seem appealing to some, it's just a variation of abare (attacking from disadvantage) but with an insurance policy against meaties. In other words, it still comes with all the risks of abare!

What about Goro-shiki with a P+K Attack?
    The golden rule for Goro-shiki is that it only works when [G] is held with at least one other button. This special input (aka the insurance policy) will register a guard during the meaty window only, and allow you to move freely afterwards.

If you only held [G] after Fall Recovery, you would still guard the meaty but you'd be locked in a guard state at the end of the recovery, and any inputs you entered in this state would be ignored. This is why Goro-shiki with a [P][+][K] cannot work with these rules, because it would require the following sequence:
    2. [G] (hold) ... guards meaty
    3. (while [G] held) [P][+][K] ... nothing happens

Having said that, it doesn't mean you can't just manually abare with a [P][+][K] move at the end of your Fall Recovery:
    2. [G] (hold until end of Fall Recovery) ... guards meaty
    3. (release [G]) [P][+][K] ... attack executes
    But then this is no longer a variation of Goro-shiki! It's just a plain ol' abare (attacking from disadvantage) which you already know how to do and didn't need to read a long post to tell you about it!