1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Swallowing a character

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Kohlrak, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Kohlrak

Kohlrak Active Member

PSN:
    Kohlrak
    Usually what happens is I block a string, and i let go of the block when i know the string is over (since i only partially know Brad, this results in significant delay). Usually then the AI knows I'm turtling and goes for a throw. I throw out a jab, get thrown. So, i'm gonna go with the former, that i'm just really slow. I don't want to say I'm that slow, but my P animation ends up either barely showing or not showing at all, and i don't see anything resembling a counter/hold/catch-throw.

I was serious about trying to use this post as a record for others, too. While it's simple for me, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be said here, let alone the fact that it's safer to assume i don't know it and it's my choice (and also my problem) if i were to get offended by it. Have no fear.

I think i'll take you up on that.

That is pretty much where I started. I still don't have any feel for close game, though, so i felt alot safer further out where my options were even fewer (but so are my opponent's). I was able to ID the 4K thing (fortunately [or, perhaps, unfortunately] the computer is too stupid to deal with such a simple shenanigan [isn't the mid catch-throw universal? If so, i'm in for a world of hurt if they update the AI]). Right now i'm anticipating this universals info. I figure that once I can get that swallowed the rest will sort itself out very quickly (because theng i can more quickly learn what to expect from my opponent as well).

2. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Hello, welcome to the game and its always great when a new player tries to learn the game by asking vets :)

There are two options why this would happen:
    1.) You were simply too slow or:
    2.) You didn't actually let go of guard before punching. In the latter case the game would read your input as throw escape and maintain guard, instead of doing a jab.

Its understandable to feel more comfortable further away, however if you are in truly long range, your options (as well as those of your opponents) are quite limited.
    Close game is something very few people can say they have a 'feel of'. For me, the pressure of needing to throw out a move grows exponentially as I get closer the opponent. You want to do something, anything, when you're close to opponent, because you fear he is going to do it to you first. Its rare that I end up in what I call 'a staring contest' at close range, but if I do, those moments are incredibly intense. Because neither player can react to the fast moves at that range, you can only try to predict what the other person does. CPU of course has perfect reactions so its not quite the same as fighting a person.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  3. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I'm not sure about this 'universals' thing. There are not many that can be counted as universal attacks among the cast. One thing not mentioned is I guess sidekick that most characters have a variation of: a medium range mid attack that staggers on crouch guard, and causes special stagger if it hits backdash. Its not real universal since I think Lei-Fei doesn't have one. The input is usually [3][K], but for example Goh's and Taka's sidekick is actually their basic K.

The basic nitaku mixup when youre at advantage is between 6P and throw: ie. a fast mid and a throw (note: not all characters use 6P for this). The concept is that if you avoid the throw by crouching, the mid is going to hit you. If you block high to guard against the mid, the throw will connect. (Same two choice applies to evade/attack or attack/block) This is obviously not everything there is to close combat in VF, this is more like the first layer of the guessing game, the foundation. All 'advanced defense techniques' like Fuzzy guard are intended to defend against both options simultaneously, but they just create the next layer of the guessing game.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    BLACKSTAR likes this.
  4. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    He does, [4][K].

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    MarlyJay likes this.
  5. Kohlrak

Kohlrak Active Member

PSN:
    Kohlrak
    PS3 controller, so, it's definitely got to be the first.

Pretty much. As i get more used to the cast, i'm gonna aim for the sweet spot: in kicking range, but not punching range.

Yeah, but odds are, it's the only consistent offline i'm ever going to get. Usually CPUs get some unfair frame advantages as well in games like these.

I always felt like there was much more, though. I'll have to keep looking. I think there might be something with 4P and 3P as well, but I haven't figured it out yet. It seems 50-50 on whether 3P it's a high crush, but it's usually a mid and slower than 6P. I think 4P can vary alot in animation and range, but i feel they might all speak to the same situation (at least in the minds of the developers), but i still haven't figured out what it is.

Ah, that makes sense. I can't remember for sure, but the answer to the fuzzy is usually a low throw, right?

6. Ares-olimpico

Ares-olimpico Well-Known Member Content Manager Lion

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    hello.
    If i remenber well low throw is an aswer to fuzzy, but not all character equip one.
    Delay the throw is universal but perhaps (the most)risky.
    Wolf have different throws with slower execution
    Low hit. universal and risky
    guard breaks for selected character
    catch throws for selected character , another type of throws that cant be escape an can grab if the attack of the oponent is in untill the middle of the execution.
    if you note the oponent use an advance fuzzy like Fuzzy Guard following by Crouching,then you need the next layer

7. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Having a look sidekicks are actually more 'universal' than 14f mids. Only Jeff does really have one that staggers on backdash, right?

@Kohlrak what you need to know is jab, fastest mid, low punch and throw. Thats the basis of the game. Beyond that i'm not sure what you're looking for. You could throw sidekicks in there too as manji mentioned, but they're not as useful as the first 4 mentioned.

I can't really think of anything outside of 15/16f counter hit launcher, 17/18f normal hit launcher and 17/18f counterhit launcher, low kicks, sweeps, etc. Things like this tend to have similar frames and properties. The problem is that not all characters have each of these.

You say you're more comfortable at distance, which tends to be open neutral game. Is it that you're not yet familiar with what to do when attacks start flying close up?

Kohlrak likes this.
  8. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    True, Jeffry is the only character in the game without a generic FS sidekick, his [3][K] causes the same KND on all hits where as his "sidekick" move [4][P][+][K] causes backdash stagger and side crumble, but doesn't give +8 on a crouching opponent nor is it a kick in the first place, but a double limbed attack in regards to Aoi reversing it.

9. Kohlrak

Kohlrak Active Member

PSN:
    Kohlrak
    To me a character is a tool just like a knife or a computer. You need to, even if it takes baby steps, learn how it works inside and out so that you can clean it, tune it up (or sharpen it), and other forms of maintenance. To best use a tool, you need to know what all you can do with it, just not fluster yourself with too many ideas at once. Spoons, forks, and chopsticks are all good for eating food, just certain foods are easier to eat with one than another, but all can cut food, carry food, and stir food (universals). What makes one suck at one thing, but good at another thing are their unique features (non-universals). When one is trying to promote one over the other, one must not be arrogant with what they feel is a unique feature (such as the spoon thinking that it's the only option for eating rice). Sure, carrying food is the universal main purpose of the three, but it can be useful to understand that they all can also cut food for when the knife is not available (and we don't have tag in VF, so i can't just magically switch characters when i'm in a bad spot).

I can't really think of anything outside of 15/16f counter hit launcher, 17/18f normal hit launcher and 17/18f counterhit launcher, low kicks, sweeps, etc. Things like this tend to have similar frames and properties. The problem is that not all characters have each of these.[/quote]
    Knowing what all characters share also allows us to already know the bread and butter that we can expect our opponents to have, which not only lets us pick up their unique features better, but gives us a reliable expectation of what we can pick off of everyone. For example, i know that jab is high, i know the elbow is going to come at the same times, i know that low is going to come when they don't like the pressure. I know that if they attack from afar, it's most likely a 4K, jumping attack, or something else i can sidestep. Exceptions to expectations brought on by understandings of universals are also, obviously, going to be character specific, making it easier to know when to expect X, Y, and Z simply by looking at the matchup.

You're reading me like a book. The distance also gives me more time for reactions, too, which is really big for where i'm at right now. The more i can slow down the match, the more i can manage it while trying to pick up new things.

10. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Great. This is actually very common and i have experience teaching people how to get through this. What you actually need is not universal attacks so much as to get a grasp of the common universal situations and sensible responses for each.

I'm going to advise you start here with 5 steps to Learning Virtua Fighter.

The thing most people have issue with is points 4 and 5;

I think i'll write a bit more on this. Break it down if i can. Give me a bit of time to come up with something.

jimi Claymore likes this.
  11. Kohlrak

Kohlrak Active Member

PSN:
    Kohlrak
    I figured the universals were where this would be done. When making a character, you want to make sure the "basic necessities" are in before you give them special things to leave more room for creativity.

This was actually one of the posts i mentioned in the original post. I bookmarked it so that I wouldn't loose it again.

Indeed. I still feel about this section what i felt about it when i first read it: でっかいなぁ where the closest translation is "huge." My immediate response to it is to break it down to simply assuming the smallest advantage, then moving on from there. From the information above, i know that "two-choice offense" translates to mid and a good throw, but i'm not sure what the counter two-choice offense would be. Finding a launcher that I like should be easy enough, though.

12. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I'm going to copy/paste some stuff i wrote last year into this thread with some edits could be useful;

"The idea is to build an offensive flow. If you have advantage/initiative, you want to keep it and continually use it to force the opponent to guess. Incorrect guesses should do them damage and you can make it harder for them to guess correctly by playing the frames. Of course if they guess right, in most cases it's then their advantage and your turn to guess. That's VF. Recognising when it's your advantage is also very important.

The trick, is to clog up the possible defensive options and force them into something which you can then counter or at least not be punished for trying. The basic options for the defender are block, sidestep and attack. If you use a 17f linear attack at +2 or +3 block, sidestep and a fast attack (2P) all win. In that situation (small advantage), an elbow makes far more sense. If the opponent guesses right and blocks or sidesteps then their reward is minimal.

What worked for me was to catagorise situations as tiny, small, medium, big and guaranteed.

Tiny was neutral and +/-1f. 2P is usually the most sensible attack and if you're CH it'll be by another 2P or a move that specifically beats 2P. If you want to defend, fuzzy is good. an elbow or sidekick landing on normal hit will have you here.

Small is +/- 2 or 3f. most characters should use a 14f mid here when you have the opponent blocking or sidestepping, you can throw. Defenders should fuzzy guard. If you evade you'll lose to throw, but a CD cancel can take you under slower high full/half circular attacks. Someone throwing a jab and having it blocked will be here.

Medium is +/-4 or 5f. 14f mid is still a very good option, but some character also have enough frames to use a stronger attack (hopefully mid or special high) that will land CH if the defender attacks. On the defensive side of things, if you fuzzy it now needs to be a CD fuzzy. Attacking carries a higher risk, but there is an increased chance the opponent will throw. Someone throwing a 2P and it being blocked or NH will be here. Jab and PK on NH will also be here.

Big advantage is better called nitaku (2 choice). It's the +/-6 to 9f range. Reasonably fast attacks can't be interrupted and you can throw bigger attacks for more reward. There is no simple option that beats both mid attack and throw so the defender has to guess. elbow at these frames is still great as it's now safe on evade. jab is advantage on evade.
    For the defender, you have to guess. If you think they'll throw, you can launch throw it. If you think they'll attack, then you can block/evade. If there has been a CH from a high or mid and you don't know the frames, you can usually assume the attacker can apply nitaku. elbow and sidekicks landing against a crouching opponent also allow the attacker to apply nitaku

past and including +/-10f things are guaranteed. at 10+ throw attempt is guaranteed. Attacker can try the throw or use it as nitaku otherwise. The defender should throw escape in addition to whatever else they do."

What i didn't mention in this post was that since the attacker applying 2 choice will be doing Mid/throw the responses from the defender to beat those should be block/attack. If you as the defender are certain that the attacker will throw you should beat that throw with the largest attack you can get away with. Of course they might attack, and the slower the attack you do, the bigger the attack they might CH you with. [2][P] is the baseline choice and attackers should build offense around beating that. They might not though, allowing you to steal initiative back with bigger moves like Brads [4][P][+][K] or [6][P][+][K].

Sorry for the huge post.

Kohlrak likes this.
  13. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

@Kohlrak
    Just to add, if both moves are the same damage then the one with more execution frames wins.

Kohlrak likes this.
  14. Kohlrak

Kohlrak Active Member

PSN:
    Kohlrak
    Weird, i never got notified of this post.

Makes sense. So like a ball based sport, someone has the ball and the other's trying to get it back.

Also makes sense.

I figured the side would give me more than that.

If your character's 3P is 15 frames, with -2 on hit and -4 on block (with a launcher followup), but and his 4P is 14 frames but neutral on hit and 5 on block. Would it be smarter then to move to the 3P instead of the 4P?

CD fuzzy?

So if i think they might evade, would it be smart to throw a jab then a throw just to be safe?

And in this situation, if i hit throw and, say, jab or evade, would this then do the jab and also escape if they attempt the throw and then be called "buffering a throw escape?"

I don't mind reading. Also, what exactly is this "hit check" thing i keep hearing on here?

Tricky likes this.
  15. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    The fact that sidekicks don't give advantage on normal hit is why they aren't so useful from the front in my opinion.
    I'm assuming we're talking Brad and not just in general and you mean 6P and -5 on block? 3P only works at +3, not +2 where it loses to 2P. It's certainly an option at +3. This post you're quoting is very much about general stuff applying to all characters.
    Crouch Dash Fuzzy. Fuzzy guard is how you avoid the mid/throw mixup from -1 to -5. To do it at -4 and -5 you need to do a crouch dash, rather than just holding down to crouch.
    After your opponent has successfully evaded your jab from Nitaku (you are +6 or better) they might be anywhere from small advantage to nitaku again. This is dependant on how well the opponent buffered in the evade. If they evaded instantly, you should be at small advantage and i'd advise elbow until you're quite sure they'll block or evade. The fact that the advantage is a bit uncertain makes me lean towards a safe attack rather than a throw.

Your best bet however is to apply nitaku, 2 choice offence, in the first instance.
    Hit checking is seeing what each hit does before deciding on and inputing a follow up. For example, Brad has 6P which has the K followup. You could input 6PK and hope the first hit lands giving you the 2nd and the knockdown. A better option though, would be to only do 6P and see what happens. Was it blocked, or evaded? if it lands did it land normal hit or counter hit? was the opponent standing or crouching or even in the air? From there you respond appropriately. This stops you attacking when you should be doing something else.

Tricky likes this.
  16. Kohlrak

Kohlrak Active Member

PSN:
    Kohlrak
    Yeah, but if any other characters have similar combinations, i wanted to know if the same logic could apply. But basically, other than that 1 frame, it's just as viable as the elbow.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm not sure why the extra movement would be helpful, unless it's to create space to force them to use a slower move?

I'm specifically worried about this "guaranteed throw" thing. Or is it guaranteed in the true sense that i'm going to go for a ride?

I feel like i have less than a frame to respond to a hit check, or is there a trick to this?

17. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

It's been awhile since I've thought about how the mechanics work, so I could be wrong about this. Whether you crouch with [2] or [3][3], you take the same amount of frames to crouch if the opponent is attacking. That is, you will crouch instantly. So if I'm standing and I want to guard a low attack, I can crouch and guard the attack just before it hits me. If your opponent isn't attacking, then the execution speed for crouching differs upon the method used.

I don't believe that throws fall into the category of an attack. This means that if an opponent uses a throw, your crouch won't be instant. The time it will take to reach the crouching state will depend upon the method you use to crouch. You'll want to use [3][3] to crouch when at -4 to -5 because it's faster. Using [2] to fuzzy guard at -1 to -3 is appropriate because you don't have to enter the crouching state as quickly as possible in order to crouch under the throw.

A guaranteed throw means that your throw is guaranteed to catch an opponent no matter what he does. This doesn't mean that it can't be escaped, though. Some players might say that a throw is guaranteed in a nitaku situation, since an opponent can't crouch under it. This isn't technically correct, though, since the opponent can still beat a throw with reverse nitaku, which means attacking at -6 (-5 for Taka) to -9. Speaking of nitaku, note that using neither [2] nor [3][3] will enable you to crouch under throws at this disadvantage, since neither input method will get you into the crouching state quickly enough. You'll still instantly crouch if an opponent uses an attack, though.

The only trick to being able to hit check is to practice. Using Dojo Mode is a good way to practice. Don't just practice defending on guard and attacking on hit, though. Also practice what you would likely do after you you've successfully defended or attacked after you've hit. It helps condition your muscle memory. You can also practice against the CPU to get used to hit checking during a match and not just during a drill. Try not to specifically think about hit checking in a match. This can lead to you purposefully using moves just to practice your reactions, and you won't think about what else you need to consider in a match. To be good at hit checking, it has to be natural. You have to be able to do it when it happens, without thinking about it.

Tricky, Kohlrak and MarlyJay like this.
  18. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    You have between the active frames of an attack, the point in animation where it hits, and the recovery frames of an attack, the point where you're no long doing the attack and are free to do something else, to hitcheck.

In that time you see what happened and respond. Typically the shortest window for this is with Jabs. And even there you'll have 15 frames which is a quarter of a second.

19. Kohlrak

Kohlrak Active Member

PSN:
    Kohlrak
    Odd, but it makes sense.

Sneaky.

Is that your only option and thus your opponent knows what you're going to do?

That kind of mental exercise takes a while, so i'll put it on the todo list.

That's faster than the average human's reaction time. Slowest is half a second. So this is still pretty tight.

20. I.M. Amazon

I.M. Amazon Member

PSN:
    TDR_Zunga
    It's not your "only" option, but it is the most efficient. There are ways for them to counter it, but there are also ways to counter those countermeasures.

This thread covers that stuff really well: http://virtuafighter.com/threads/vf5-fs-defensive-technique-compendium.19696/

I won't go into what is or isn't reactable, but 15 frame is just the minimum--there's usually a wider window than that, and sometimes the window changes on CH, like Jeffry's 4KP (really hard to hitcheck on NH, very easy on CH).

Kohlrak likes this.