1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The Goh Quiz

Discussion in 'Goh' started by Leonard_McCoy, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana'"><span style="font-size: 26pt">The Goh Quiz[/size]</span>

No multiple choice. No further hints -- Just plain hardcore. And Goh specific. [/size]

Read carefully and solve the following situation to your advantage.

It’s been an exhaustive match. Both your opponent and you have pretty drained health bars. The next successful hit will decide between victory or defeat. After you made up your mind and went for Goh’s fairly safe standard kick, your opponent was, unfortunately, lucky enough to get that move blocked. Due to previous fights with him you know that he will either go for a throw that you know the throw escape of, a punch combo, or a staggering, half-circular mid-elbow that would lead to a huge follow-up for him. As you’re running out of time – did those 45 seconds really go by that quickly? –, you want to finish the match here and now. But what to do to turn the tables putting this match to an end?</span>

2. VFnumbers

VFnumbers Well-Known Member Content Manager Lei

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    do p+kp+g and input his favorite throw escape during animation at the same time then if sucessful p+g him 46p i dont know goh very well

3. Leonard_McCoy

I hate you ..... [​IMG]

But totally right: a Sabaki Throw Escape is your best option here deflecting all kinds of attacks your opponent prefers and saving you from his throws (that you know the TEs of), plus it allows for the quickest retaliation counter (even if not totally guaranteed).

4. AkiraZero

AkiraZero Well-Known Member

'punch combo or elbow' was the clue =) hey leonard, do more quizzes pls. i've been using Goh lately and really wanna learn him. ^^

5. Leonard_McCoy

It was too obvious then? .... arghhhhh

6. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

yeah with goh the stubborn sabaki is always the way to "goh"((pun)ishment).

7. Leonard_McCoy

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">The Goh Quiz #2[/size]

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">No multiple choice. No further hints – just plain hardcore. But Goh-specific hardcore!</span></span>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana'">I hope this time it doesn't get solved within 20-ish minutes ...

Read carefully and solve the following situation to your advantage. Post your solution below (and don't be vague).

What a lousy start you had in this tournament final! You barely managed to make up for it in the last two rounds. It’s 2:2 now – the last round decides the whole tournament. You don’t feel so confident anymore, eventhough you prepared so well beforehand practicing the timing of even the hardest combos in and out in Dojo Mode. You are up against a really strong player, though, who is able to read most of your actions (although, funnily, he always tech-rolls to the very same side). His superb Yomi mastery has put your health bar to an alarming minimum again. He feels quite relaxed – which is no wonder as his health bar shows barely any sign of depletion. (In fact, he still has 149 of 200 life points.) Time is, again, running out making you dead aware that your next action may very well be your last. Fortunately, you just managed to successfully hit him with [4][6][K]+[G]. But how could you still win now?</span>

8. AkiraZero

46KG would cause a head crumple and leave the opponent falling down in face-down head-towards position setting up a potential backstagger combo (since you know they tech towards the same side) where u can get a low throw against the back-turned crouching opponent.(?)

9. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

^He wins... That's pretty much the answer I think.

10. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Griever_PL
    Well, there are still some factors you have to take into account, that are not described here. What character does he use? Was [4][6][K]+[G] a CH?

Either way I'd combo with max damage (depending on character, should reach ~70) then do [8]/[2][K]+[G] to the side the opponent tech rolls. That would add another 30 so it's now around 100 dmg. adding a ground throw would add another 30, but that's only 'cause he "feels relaxed" so I'm guessing he wouldn't get up that fast. Adding a ground pounce after that could finish the round, but that's not really that certain...

HOWEVER. The opponent COULD escape the ground throw, he COULD get up fast enough, so that instead of ground throw + pounce, I'd only get a light pounce for 12 dmg.

Whatever that would be, even with the most skilled opponent, in the situation described, you could easily take over 100 of his life, leaving you BOTH in a tight situation, possibly winning through time.... or maybe ring out.... [​IMG]

EDIT:
    Hmmmm, that could also work... 70 + backstagger + back throw, nice! [​IMG]

11. VFnumbers

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    46K+G head crumple 66p+k i think bounce 46p+kpg cancel series he lands and tech face down head towards om p to his favorite tech side for backstagger 33p(funny looking flop) he tech again use 2/8k+g gets hit, ground throw. i dont know goh very well nothing is guaranteed tho

12. AkiraZero

Yeah I assumed it was a CH because it's a heated fight and I don't think he'll let you land a 46KG unless you guessed right or it's against Lei Fei being in Doku stance fishing for an auto-sabaki. I was thinking about the most damage possible in this situation because of the clock winding down.

edit: was thinking of a combo similar to Numbers' that involves OM P to the correct side.

13. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    BF K+G, FF P+K, P, shoulder ram. OPP techs to the front,
    time the tech with ur OMP to create backstagger, DO FF K immediately if they cannot break stagger for a second back crumple, and then Backthrow.
    ( : only works if ff K, isnt broken out of stagger for the low throw to connect.

14. AkiraZero

there ya go. ^^ didn't know what to do after OM P. thx!

15. Mackfactor

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    u might b able to even
    bF K+G, FF P+K, Delay jab for a higher float, and FF P+K for a double bounce, on lighter weights, shgoulder ram but i can be wrong.

16. VFnumbers

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    after backstagger a little hardcore p+k+g 43p+k4/6 p. I would replace with 66K+G hit throw or 3k+g hit throw after back stagger. LOL my vf creativity kicking in btw nuthing guaranteed and i still dont know goh very well

17. AkiraZero

just did this on Blaze:

46K+G - 66P+K - P - 46P - fwd dash - OM P - 46K+G - 66P+K - P - shoulder ram

2nd 46K+G could be blocked im sure but the combo still looks nasty >:)

edit: on Blaze i got another 66PK in place of shoulder ram

18. Mackfactor

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    ff k comes out much quicker than, 46 K+G, so during the recovering of backstagger, i would prefer the FFK.. harder to stagger out of that.

i think the best option is still: BF K+G, FF P+K, P, shoulder ram. OPP techs to the front,
    time the tech with ur OMP to create backstagger, DO FF K immediately if they cannot break stagger for a second back crumple, and then Backthrow ( guaranteed ). This is the most common backstagger with goh=death combo

19. Jargen88

Jargen88 Well-Known Member

I would go 66p+k into bounce low punch and either shoulder ram or [4] [6] [P] [+] [K] [P] [6] [P] into ground punch

Cant think of much else

20. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Leonard, nice quizzes!

I feel that I want to point out a couple of things with each quiz though based on my own experience, which may help add another dimension to the "correct answer".

Quiz 1: no time left, next hit wins, you're at -6
    The thing I want to point out here is that being at -6 with full life is a very different scenario to being at -6 at the brink of death. If I've just blocked your kick giving me +6f advantage, then I wouldn't be looking to maximise my return on my next move because, well, you'll be dead anyway.

This is where low kicks become so powerful. Since they're not often used in a nitaku situation, opponents who treat the end of a round the same as the beginning of the round are susceptible to these types of KOs because they choose automatically defensive techniques suited against nitaku.

So while Sabaki Throw Escape will do you well in this case since they tend to favour their mid elbow as a lead in, keep in mind that when it's one-hit-to-KO time, the mind games trump the textbook.

Quiz 2: final round in tournament, relaxed opponent has huge lead, you land a 46K+G CH.
    Here I wanted to point out that in a tournament, in the final round, with a huge lead, time is running out and I have my opponent almost dead (one hit away?), the last thing I would want to do after a knockdown is get back up, so tech rolling in this scenario wouldn't make a lot of sense in the context given.

As the Goh player, in the same scenario, you should be expecting that the opponent will not tech roll, and try to take advantage of that. So after the head crumple combo, you'll want to try to tack on extra ground hits or a ground throw. I'm not familiar with Goh's combos so I don't know if the max damage finisher allows for these follow up hits in time, so I'll leave that as homework for the reader. Sometimes you can choose an alternate finisher that allows for better okizeme, even though the damage isn't max.

So against a relaxed or lazy player, you can continue to take damage off them with ground hits, bound combos, ground throws, etc. The sum total hopefully ends up being greater than the max damage combo you gave up. While this probably won't be enough to finish the 149pts remaining, it will hopefully cause enough panic in the opponent and put you one move/guess away from the win.