1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The MMA thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Shadowdean, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Just put all the UFC/PRIDE/MMA stuff in here. Make it one place we can go to in order to discuss everything.
    To kick it off video game style - the intro for the new UFC game
    UFC

2. DarkGift

DarkGift Well-Known Member

That game looks so sweet.

3. Garbage

Garbage Well-Known Member

Why does there not seem to be any fighters that use Kung Fu as a base for their standup game?

4. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Griever_PL
    Probably beacuse as far as Kung Fu is a great martial art, when fighting one on one with a pile of muscles there are better styles.
    I think so far most of the people fighting in UFC/Pride etc. prefer Muay Thai as their main weapon in standing fight.
    And I can understand why. In a well performed Muay Thai the stance is high, knees a little bent, the guard is really good, both hands protecting the head. The punches are done the same way as in boxing, and there is also kicks in this one so... well.... it is good, and efficient. There is also clinch and there are some throws (not too flashy, but hey, those are still good).
    And please, let's not confuse on-the-ring Muay Thai with what Tony Jaa did in Ong Bak. There is a difference.

5. Garbage

Good answer. Is there no cultural factor though? If the sport takes root in China maybe?

It's not like the other martial arts haven't evolved?

6. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

There are a few fighters who have a kungfu base just can't remember there names off hand.
    Tbh the nature of the game requires good Boxing/Kick Boxing/Muay Thai, anything else just becomes an added bonus/variety but not a main skill set.
    Also wouldn't say it's a cultural thing, it's just what works, MMA is getting bigger in China from what I heard and their fighters learn the required skill sets too.

7. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

the short answer: the opportunity cost of training kung fu over muay thai or western boxing is too high. it is not to say that if you train good kung fu (i'd argue less than 5-10% of kung fu is any good), you won't be able to fight, but that you would be a BETTER fighter if that time was devoted to muay thai or boxing instead.

8. Garbage

You can't conclusively know that though.

9. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

no i can't know 100%, but the empirical evidence suggests it more than anything else. until you can show me several guys doing well in k-1 with a kung fu background, then i can't believe it's an equal style when it comes to standup fighting.

10. Shadowdean

In China, there is a budding mma scene - most of the strikers use San-Da as their means of stand up. THe problem with a lot of kung-fu training is that it does not incorporate live sparring.

11. Shadowdean

12. Garbage

Was thinking; if the rumours about it being Forrest to fight Shogun Rua instead of Machida, why would Forrest take this fight? But thinking about it more, it's a win/win situation if he puts up the kind of fight that he did against Tito.

13. Shadowdean

Forest vs Shogun...I just see Forest being chicken feed for Shogun. Maybe Keith Jardeen...?

14. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

lol looks like it's going to be chuck vs jardine, and shogun vs forrest.

to be honest, i actually don't have a problem with shogun vs forrest. shogun/machida is undoubtedly a bigger fight, but i don't want to see either of those guys lose. so this is a nice concession, and when shogun wins they can give him an immediate title shot.

chuck vs jardine on the other hand is less compelling. silva would have made a far better opponent, and right now i think the winner of this fight should fight machida for the next title shot. (after shogun)

15. 420Gamer4Life

420Gamer4Life Well-Known Member

this is bad, forrest is making a comeback and fighting shogun is definently not good for his MMA career. shoguns a beast and just might take the title just like every other pride fighter is doing.

imo keith jardine needs to fight better competition before he goes after liddel. keith jardine hasnt proved himself to even be fighting chuck. from what ive seen so far the former pride fighters are dominating the UFC.

this is good though because its only going to make the fighters and fights in UFC alot better.

16. Shadowdean

I just can't wait for Arona to enter into the UFC. Seriously, his dry hump style would be great to watch in a cage....
    That being said, I would like to see a rematch of Arona vs Fedor. Fedor was handed that win in rings.

17. 420Gamer4Life

i think it will be great if the UFC gets Arona and Fedor. dry hump style. lol. its true though he invented the dry hump style.

18. SnowMan6484

SnowMan6484 New Member

Personally I would not care to see Fedor fight Arona I dont think Arona would have a chance.

19. Shadowdean

Ever see his fight against Fedor in Rings? Obviously not.

20. 420Gamer4Life

hes right you do have to see Arona vs Fedor in Rings. dont get me wrong i think Fedor is the the best heavyweight in MMA but Arona gave him a run for his money. thats why i wouldnt mind having Arona in UFC either.