1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The Shun Tactics Board

Discussion in 'Shun' started by HungOver, Jul 22, 2004.

1. HungOver

HungOver Active Member

I've read so many strategies and bits of advice on this site, all of which helped me reevaluate my play-style. I'd like to get some people's input on Shun tactics and skills. Post your favorite combos, strategies, drink skills, stance maneuvers, and anything else here. It'd be nice to have a little amateur compendium for Shun.

-Chuck /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

1) shun's moves rarely leave him at an advantage. Use distance and 'beating' moves ([8][K][G] beats [2][P], [2][K] beats elbows, etc) to ruin opponent's frame game

2) chowan is so great. get used to recognizing stance with it, because closed stance (chowan, [P], [K][K][2][P][K]) is a lot more damage.

3) Shun's throw game is really weak damage/direction wize, so make good use of surirping with throws instead of throwing at guranteed situations. 270 after 10dp

4) Learn to pressure well, and try to see how the opponent reacts to stuff like [3][P][K][G] and [db[2_][1]p. Something I have a lot of success with is seeing how the opponent reacts to [9][P][K][G] by following with low kick, then either throwing or chowan based on what they did last time. Works more often than you'd thing.

5) luck

3)

3. Mankey

Mankey Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    HungOver said:

It'd be nice to have a little amateur compendium for Shun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and I fit in that category.

Well, I seem to kill threads when I post...I suppose I'm a bit to personal, but I want my posts to be smacked around, judged and wronged. That way I learn faster.
    (Man that's corny...*scratches head)

Here's my personal style when playing Shun..

Out of all the Virtua Fighting characters, Shun is definately the odd one out. He doesn't fight the same way, you could say he refuses to fight at all. An example is my brother saying "Shun is the least honorable." But the way I see it, Shun has no concept of honor, he is immune from it. You can fight any damn way you want.

The 2 things that are the most important in a match are; Knowing which attack/defense to use & judging which attack/defense your opponent will use.
    To do this you need to know each moves' properties (mostly execution and range*), so you know which to use at which time.
    By judging your opponent's moves you can mix in an attack while you dodge. Such as with [2][K]+[G].
    SiYkO sums this up well with his 1)
    You can also setup situations where you can get outta there with [7][P]+[K]+[G] unscathed.
    *I developed a humble range guide to follow using the arena's "33x33"ft. training area divided by the tiles. Such as They start about 7.3 ft. away from each other and 6.4 ft. away is in Shun's throw-grab range. I canned this because it always reverts back to your memory.
    (I also spotted a bug when testing this: Shun's [4][P]+[G] wall throw will become [P]+[G] when the opponent's back foot is around the 2nd last tile to the wall.
    Um...I don't remember if it applies to other characters wall throws also.)

Balance is also crutial for Shun.
    Balance of matching yourself with your opponent; dodging when your pursued, charging when they are desperate. Balance of action or inaction and, balance of fighting or drinking.

One strength is the element of surprise. He does move awkwardly like a drunk. You can use this well by going into a stance after a Recovery-Roll. Having Shun upside down can still be surprising when used right.

About Shun's 2way guessing game.. All his stances have atleast 1 mid and 1 low attack. I really don't think this is his strong suit either, other characters can psych you out more with guessing games, like Sarah.
    If they are expecting an attack or a certain type of attack, then doing the opposite to get at them can be used. But, they could do the same to you no matter which character they are.

For Shuns large variety of moves he has some that can be clumped together. There are his "good" moves which can be abused, such as: [2][3][6][P], [K]+[G], [2_][3][P]. They are effective, but don't rely on them to heavily or you'll hit a wall (like high level CPU, like someone here posted.) Also are his "useless" moves. Most of these attack's opportunities are limited and work on rising opponents, opponents in slow recovery or time/ring outs, such as: [6][6][K], [7][K], [1][K]+[G], [9][P].

Shun is fun to play, but takes a lot of experience work. Similar to Akira, but your fingers hurt much less afterwards.

4. IamthePope

IamthePope Well-Known Member

5. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

you put [2_][3][P] with those wonderful moves?? That move is okay, but not really that good. It only combos on MC, and is -13 on block. That means it's hella pain against pai and lau especially, but everyone gets free damage! Not that this move shouldn't be used... but it definetly shouldn't be listed with the godliness that is chowan, and k+g.

6. Mankey

Mankey Active Member

Yeah, I agree. I should have put [K][K] & [3][P] instead.

<font color="orange">IamthePope: </font> My brother is a good Wolf player, and plays against me pretty often. Tactics which are effective against me are his charging attacks. Actually I'm pretty weak against timed rising attacks, and Wolf is good at those. Also, of course, -DP attacks. [K]+[G] gets me pretty good. For throws, I guess you should alternate his Giant Swing and his Arm Swing.

7. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

1) shun's moves rarely leave him at an advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

But his bread and butter leave him only slightly disadvantaged.

Chowan is what, -2 on block? That's arguably the best floater in the game.
    [K]+[G] is uncounterable, as is [3][P]+[K] and [4][P] which are all great moves.
    Finally, [2][K] ducks under mids, and [1][P]+[K]+[G][P] and it's variants should be spammed heavily.

8. Melatto

Melatto Member

Re: The

Any tactics for getting his glowing brace in the mission practice final stage?

I always get really, really close against Vanessa, but so far haven't been able to get 2 straight perfects.

9. HungOver

HungOver Active Member

Wow, I haven't checked this site in a while . . .
    The feedback on this post is excellent. I'm happy to hear some opinions on his moves (i.e. - the best, the worst, the favorites.) Also I'm reading good ideas on strategy.
    My only complaint is that no one seems to be able to describe what his style is. I hear so many variations on vague ideas, but no solid explanation of tactics.
    There was a point on being able to react, and that's very important. But my personal favorite strategy is to lead my opponent (yes, both the CPU and human opponents) to do exactly what I want them to, then attack with power moves. The underlying problem I've discovered there is that I don't understand every character well enough to pull this off. For example, my win ratio is at least 5% lower against Lei Fei, Akira, and Jacky. ( I finally got better against Lion, the "Anti-Shun." /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif )
    Now I'm attempting to learn more about the other characters in order to better manipulate them with Shun. So far, it's improving my skills; but, of course, I don't play all that often any more, so the progress is inevitably slow.
    Thanks again for your posts. For future posts, please focus on Strategy. (you can still talk about moves! just focus . . .)

Domo Arigato!
    -Josh

10. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    I think [1][K][K] was not mentioned before...
    Semicirc, cancellable, etc. Hot shit anyway. Nightmare to predict when used well. Starter [4][3][P] has [6][P], [3][P] [P] [K] ([G][P][K]) going for it on MC (8dp).

That[6][6][K] rocks near the wall (combos galore), [3][P]+[K] wall combos are damn insane and [4][6][6][G][P] should NOT be forgotten. Wall throw is opportunistic and I can´t connect them very well with Shun. Punch series [4][6][P][P][P] is awesome, as is [6][P][P][P][K]. Shun "back" game is good. Throw, [G][K] and quick retreat there.

Drinking must be emphasized. You really should get those 6dp after every round.

11. shun_player

shun_player New Member

I often begin match with DB p, if this hits opponent, then k, and finally U p.