1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tips against Wolf?

Discussion in 'Brad' started by funkpanda, Mar 19, 2008.

1. funkpanda

funkpanda Member

Ok...i had a Horrible day today matchup wise.

I went against this guy playing Wolf who owned me in 20, 3 round matches. I did that many cus i couldn't figure out what i could do to beat him.

The problem was that every low attack he did, beat out anything i tried to do in close. And that STUPID FUCKING SIDESTEP TACKLE SHIT! GRRRRR.

Anyway, anyone have ANY tips for Brad Vs. Wolf?

2. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

Dojo mode is your friend. Use Wolf(In Dojo)to see how he's attacks work. Most Wolf players like to run he's DM. You could throw Wolf right out of it with a regular grab or attack. Wolf, needs to be close to you, so space yourself with Brads, K+G and 2K+G. Those moves right there cant be sidestep. So be random with them. One thing to know, most of the moves that players love to use with Wolf, could be sidestep. For example, he's low lariat(3P+K)he's jumping sidekick(4K+G)that leads to stagger, he' knee and he's rushing shoulder, to name a few. So go to Dojo, and put the Cpu, to level 5. And go at it with him. The AI in this game is really well done. One more thing, if your not good at sidestepping. Set the state of the cpu at "Counterhit 3" I believe, and the CPU will only throw standing jabs(It could be counterhit 1) and practice your sidesteps there. Getting out of crumbles is key, btw.

3. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

Low attack probably means Grizzly Lariat (low sweeping arm strike), as SF said. If you block that, he's at a huge disadvantage.

As for the DM, since Brad doesn't have a low throw, you can either duck the grab or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif him out of it. Be careful when using full circulars to hit him out of it, as Wolf's DM can duck under a lot of them.

If they do get a stagger, most players will go for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif into a low throw (usually Pedigree). Get your /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif throw escapes on the go if that happens.

Also, same as for any character. Get used to throw escapes, since Wolf can K.O. you in two moves, or ring you out from near the middle of the ring (I did it to a Lei Fei player - it was highly satisfying).

4. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Dodge to his stomach side.

5. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

Break his DM P+K throw with 4 or 6 and P+G. I've noticed that most Wolf players dodge into the background (8) when they go for the DM P+K throw. If they dodge the same way every time then you only have to enter one throw escape. If they dodge into the background you break with 4P+G, if they dodge into the foreground it's 6P+G but you can enter both to be safe if you want.

I used to get caught with this a lot but once you're wise to the tactic and used to seeing the animation you can use against them every time. I rarely get caught by this move anymore and punish players that try to use it on me. This move is another one of those "noob killers"... Once you're used to seeing it, it will become a weakness for the Wolf you're fighting.

With the stomach crumples, make sure you at least break /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif to escape the Pedigree (which does the most damage...)

6. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

You can only enter one side-throw escape. You can just guess, but it's very possible to train yourself to see which side they evade and escape accordingly.

7. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

just duck DM Throw /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

8. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Ducking is the best option and the only way you can punish. However, in close range DM Throw just occurs too fast for ducking to work.

9. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

You can enter both if they don't actually dodge all the way to the side. They will dodge your linear attack but it's usually a front throw that comes out in which case you can break both directions. However, the vast amount (IMHO) of the time they will dodge into the background to do this throw for some reason.

10. HokutoNoCat

HokutoNoCat Well-Known Member

On open rounds and small fences, the better advice is: ALWAYS when at big disadvantage, ALWAYS when you're near the ring limit, spam 6p+g . It's a good start and you will save your butt from some insane damage/rings out.

11. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

If someone spams DM Throw then you should wait for it with a duck
    If you whiff a throw or a high sweep then you need quicker reflexes to reverse and it should be harder to get out of anyways.

12. ZenTou

ZenTou Well-Known Member

People can break the Wolf and Vanessa's DM throw . Its either 6P+G or 4P+G a move that CLASHES with it. The pedigree and the DM throw are just the least of your troubles, then theres the catch throw, and then he can spam his flip onto you down attack. I was playing shang and he loved abusing that flip onto you down attack.

13. BodomSoldier

BodomSoldier Active Member

Is Brad's DM P+K the only way to punish Wolf players who spam 2p? I'm having trouble with people who spam it over and over then go into either a high attack or one of his throws. Only way I can seem to fight it is to use Brad's DM but seems like it could be a bad habit.

14. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    You have to be more specific. When are they spamming 2P?

The simplest way deal with 2P spam is to simply guard the 2P attack to give you advantage. Then you do a reasonably fast mid attack, like Brad's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and it will beat any following attack by Wolf, even 2P spam.

This is the simplest method in theory, but to apply this technique you need to hit-check, which something many new players can't do consistently.

15. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    Slower or delayed horizontals beat the DM throw as well. I will use the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif followed by a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif with my pai and the kick always hits him out of DM throw because it was delayed slightly (I am doing the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif when they sidestep and when they do the throw they eat the oncoming horizontal kick every time because of the delay). Pressing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif after her /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif that goes into her special low stance making it impossible for the DM throw spammer to throw Pai in that instance and I can counter attack right away on reaction because I see the whiffed throw animation.

I even landed a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif once and countered a DM throw spamming Wolf somehow and I heard his anger through my TV speakers because he had a mic on as well and I didn't.

16. funkpanda

funkpanda Member

I went against the SAME guy today. THanks for the tips. I still got dominated but I wasn't pray to his dodge maneuver throw anymore. And his low lariat wasn't as much of a problem. This time i made the mistake of getting caught in giant swings.

However, I am determined to defeat him next time i match up vs him.

17. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

I haven't played many Wolf players online, but I've picked up enough stuff about him to provide some general advice when facing him.

Basically, you'll have Wolf players who will go for guaranteed damage in combos and those who like to throw in guaranteed situations in order to get max damage. For instance, a Wolf player might try to land a ground throw after his [4][P] connects. I've made the mistake of not being on my guard because I assumed that he would combo with hits. Always watch to see if he'll throw instead, and be ready to escape with [3][P][+][G]. Here is another example of a Wolf player using throws in combos:

Fully charged [P][+][K] on guard -> [6][P] -> Low throw

First of all, the fully charged variant hits mid. You'll want to evade towards Wolf's back to avoid getting hit. Second, don't try to interrupt with a high move while he is charging. I've attempted to do this, and whiffed. If you do happen to get caught by this series, here is the priority of throw escapes:

[1][P][+][K][+][G]
    [3][P][+][K][+][G]
    [2][P][+][K][+][G]

I would work on timing a double throw escape with the first two escapes.

Both variants of [P][+][K] are evaded towards Wolf's back while HCB [P] is evaded towards Wolf's front. Remember that.

If wolf ties up with you, the most damaging throw he has is [1][P][+][G]. If he gets you into the change position, [4][P][+][G] is his most powerful throw. If he pushes you away from that position, he might be going for the guaranteed Toe Kick Stunner, or he might be trying to set you up for a throw. In the latter case, he will probably be going for his Giant Swing because of its range and damage. Be ready to time the escape ([6][P][+][G]) just in case.

As mentioned, you'll want to duck Wolf's DM [P][+][K] when you see it coming. However, DM [P][+][K] seems to have some evasive frames to it, so you could be attacking or recovering from attacking while it is executed. In this case, time a double throw escape with [4][P][+][G] and [6][P][+][G]. This should enable you to escape the front, left side, and right side variants. I'm not sure if you need to end with a certain throw escape for the side variants. Take note of which side Wolf is moving towards just in case.

If you get caught with a CH [K][+][G], be ready with a side throw escape just in case. I forget which side will be facing Wolf, but I know that a double throw escape in this case won't work.

Something that I get hit with way too often are moves out of Wolf's Deadly Move. I feel so scrubby for it because I think the solution has to do with just timing a move to interrupt. However, I am quite terrible at it. I get counter hit a lot for trying. I guess I'll just have to work on that while keeping in mind that Deadly Move [P][+][G] is a high catch throw. Do any of you guys have any advice for when Wolf enters into Deadly Move?

18. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

I use wolf and i find really usefull the deadly move when the opponent gets up, especially after a rising attack.

19. social_ruin

social_ruin Well-Known Member

Who is the wolf user? What's his gamertag?

20. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

That's nice! ^_^

Would you happen to have any tips on overcoming Wolf's Deadly Move for Brad players? [​IMG]