1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Top 10 Moves for Kage?

Discussion in 'Kage' started by KillaKen, Jun 18, 2012.

1. KillaKen

KillaKen Well-Known Member

PSN:
    KillaKen
    XBL:
    KillaKen7
    I'm starting out fresh with Kage (I main Pai) and was looking for his key basic effective moves to work on.

What moves are essential while playing him?

2. Genesis

Genesis Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Genesis Malakh
    Everything, depending on the situation.

3. Murder_Material

Murder_Material Active Member

I am a big fan of [4][K]+[G] : [P]+[G]

Decent damage, good range, looks like a simple kick but ends in a sneaky throw even if its been blocked.

4. Ytpme_Secaps

Ytpme_Secaps Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Jami San
    d K+G, has been a staple since VF1 and his P+K moves are quick and sobering

5. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    [P] Standard jab
    [2][P] Standard low jab

[6][P] Elbow -> stance options. My favourite move. Lots of options here depending on how it hits/is guarded.

[​IMG][3][P] Upper. Safe on block (-6) and combos on counter hit. Only 15 frames to execute from a crouch so a good basic option from a MC [2][P].

[3][P][P] Safe on guard combo starter that goes under highs and is half circular in the opposite direction to [2][K]+[G]. Stop at first hit if guarded most of the time (can mix up throwing out the second hit anyway to keep them on their toes but it is high.) This move is slow so don't abuse too much unless you like eating knees.

[2][K]+[G] Half circular mid kick that comes out in 16 frames and is safe on guard. Works better from max range since you can't fuzzy after it's guarded (-8). It has a weird hitbox that seems higher than it should be. My other fav move.

[9][K]+[G] Comes out in 30 frames and jumps into the air so even something like a simple jab will float you, and is also linear. Now that the bad is out of the way, this move is still great imo. Jumps over all lows, combos on any hit and is +1 on guard. Use this to stuff low rising kicks and sometimes crush mid rising kicks even if you guess wrong.

[3][K][P] -> stance option. Standard side kick with canned punch string on the end which can lead into shippujin stance. Mix this up for good results but keep in mind the weaknesses you have here (high follow ups, frame disadvantage on normal hit etc). I still like it.

[P][K][P]+[K]+[G] I probably use this more than I should but it's my favourite way to punish in situations where I'm not 100% sure how much frame advantage I have. You get +4 on hit which means your [3][P] from stance will stuff their low punch if they get frisky after eating the kick. Throws are faster than [P] now so keep that in mind as another option from +10 onwards.

[4][6][P]+[G] Still the king of throws imo. Mix up the other directions (obviously) but try to land this whenever you can get them to freeze up. Kage has a lot of opportunities to land throws if you mix up your mid strings. Basic combo that works on everyone: [4][6][P]+[G] [​IMG][6][K] [6_][P] [6][6][P]+[K] [K][P][K]

Think that's 10 but I'll throw in a couple of stance moves.

Jumonji

Kind of a "defensive" stance. Use this when your elbow is blocked etc and you feel too cool to guard (you're a freaking ninja). [K]+[G] is fast-ish, mid, hops over lows and combos on any hit. [P]+[K] is slow-ish, mid and sabakis a fuckton of things for a combo. Don't go into stance every time or you'll eat knees etc.

Shippujin

More of an aggressive stance. Pretty much every move from this stance is great so just experiment. Try to enter stance from an advantage so you can stuff fast attacks with [3][P].

I'll stop now as I'm risking going over his entire movelist lol. Lots of his other stuff has uses but this should be a good starting point. Sorry if any of this information is out of date, I'm still trying to learn FS myself.

Genesis likes this.
  6. KillaKen

PSN:
    KillaKen
    XBL:
    KillaKen7
    Thanks for the reply man, and GGs in Ranked.

I'll have to pull this up next time I hit the dojo with Kage. I'm going to have to go cold turkey for some time and just stick it out with him.

7. SAPhoenix

SAPhoenix New Member

Don't forget about [4][P]! [​IMG]

13f half-circular, +3 on hit, +1 on block, can transition to Jumonji. Great move.

8. KillaKen

PSN:
    KillaKen
    XBL:
    KillaKen7
    I like this move, but [2][P] mashers kill it fairly easy.

Sometimes I do it at a distance just to set up the mid kick you can do after it ([4][P],[K])

I'm starting to get figure him out, I just have to play him a lot more. Sometimes when I lose, I get frustrated and go back to Pai [​IMG]

9. spyder0080

spyder0080 Active Member

XBL:
    spyder0080
    Thanks, I needed this info! I'm still struggling with fundamentals, but it's good to know the properties of these moves.

10. Ytpme_Secaps

XBL:
    Jami San
    If you go into Shippujin often enough and your opponent is rushing as soon as he sees you begin the stance, a great switch up move is [4] [4] [P]+[K] it has a very similar animation to shipujin and can avoid attacks

11. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Thinking about doing a Kage guide similar to the nice Jeffry 101 thread although I'd probably try to make it more comprehensive in one post. Would there be much interest?

12. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

That would be interesting, and I also have tons of thought on Kage. [​IMG]

13. zirtec

zirtec New Member

I am most def interested.

14. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Ok, got some spare time coming in the next few days, I'll get on it.

15. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

This is the only non-string kick that you can crouch fuzzy after since its -5 on block. The only other kick that allows crouch fuzzy is from P,K (-4). Kicks that give you -5 or better on block also leave you backturned.

16. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

In addition to 4K+G and P,K. there are a few other kicks that allow you to fuzzy/c. fuzzy on block.

K+G and 9K+G are +1 and are fantastic leg moves

The two jumping kicks are -3 to -5 depending on range

In Jumonji:
    K is -1 to -2 depending on range.
    K+G is -3 to -5 depending on range
    6K is -4 to -5 depending on range
    P+G is -1

In Shippujin:
    K is -3

I'll list punches soon

17. Thiry

Thiry Member

To my mind, good Kage s moves

-4K :
    => half circular ,-5 on block, 0 on hit, i19 and after lot of mix up .
    Kage is BT => 2K 46K+G KK ( 58 dmg ) ; throw P+G ; or BT P+K K ou P+K P+K+G => the BT P+K ( -6 on block )
    To the 4[K] ( stance JU )
    =>-3 on block and after Kage is BT ( stance JU )
    => 2K full circular or P+K(-4 on block) and starter combo ( BT JU P+K 2P 66P+K 46K+G KK 71dmg ) or Throw

-623P+K P K K :
    => best move to punish : i15, 59 dmg and ring out on half wall. But that move whiff on Taka

-4P :
    => i13, half circular , block stun ( +1 ) and transition JU or SH

-JU K+G
    => tech jump ( dodge low move, throw or 2P for example ) and starter combo :
    JU K+G K+G P+K 46K+G KK ( 82 dmg )

=> low invisible ; half circular, i19, falls opponent but caution, it s very unsafe

18. Ytpme_Secaps

XBL:
    Jami San
    what you mean by low invisible on the 1k?

19. Thiry

Thiry Member

I would say that to block the 1K, the opponent must anticipate il with step or crouch guard. May be it s not a good move but i am a beginner at VF and now, i think that it s a good low.

20. Ytpme_Secaps

XBL:
    Jami San
    The opponent would have to guess(or know) which direction to evade since 1k is a half circular. Perhaps he did mean that it doesnt telegraph itself as a low like some other lows. To reiterate though, horrible on block, i think it -31(ouch) will check.