1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tournament Function in next home VF

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by PurpleBeefyMan, Feb 18, 2004.

1. PurpleBeefyMan

PurpleBeefyMan New Member

I think it would be a great addition to have the ability to have the game keep up with the tournament brackets. Have several customizations as in Single or Double Elimination, Round Time and Count for first brackets, semi, and finals if needed. It could save the whole tournament as a tournament replay and you could load the whole bracket and move to any match and watch the replay. Have keyboard support for registering players. It could have a requirement to put in the mem card with their data in during their match. During matches in the tournament it could disable pausing also. I'm sure there's many other thing that it could have to make a complete tournament solution to having it all on paper.

2. alfaphlex

alfaphlex Active Member

these are really good ideas. I second that. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. SlimTYME

SlimTYME Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking of this at the last tournie we held, it sure would give a COMPLETE finish to evo. Maybe it's about time Sega?

4. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    PurpleBeefyMan said:
    During matches in the tournament it could disable pausing

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, why dont you just disable crouchdash too? This would ruin too many strategies

but this would be grand

5. PurpleBeefyMan

lol how does disabling pausing so that u don't get disqualified for slipping up and hitting start effect strategies?

6. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

He's joking. It's funny cause when they first showed off footages of ps2 version of evo, I had thought they already did implement this function. Then I found out when I got the retail copy that it's only in quest mode for single player. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I would love to be proved wrong, but two reasons this will NEVER happen:

1. Traditionally (and officially) VF tournaments are run on arcade machines. It's only in the west do we have a large culture of console-based tournaments.

2. VF home ports will never be designed for or cater to the western market.

And if you think about it, running a 32 or 64-man tournament using one console (because it had a built-in tournament facility) would take too long. One of the benefits we enjoy from console based tournaments is that consoles and peripherals are easily come by, so tournaments don't need to take as long because you can have N number of consoles running at the same time.

Maybe I could write a tournament management section on VFDC which allowed you to run your own tournaments, automatic bracket filling, etc. So all you'd need is an internet connection to VFDC and away you go.

Nah, who am I kidding..

8. Vith_Dos

Vith_Dos Well-Known Member

Damn Myke with his pessamistic sarcasm!

/versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Tournament only take long when people do seeding and double elimination. If it's a simple single elim tourney, it'd go by really really fast. I do agree with the fact that this feature will probably never make it into a home version since it's not really a "feature" that would enhance the game in anyway. It'd be a fun little addition though, games like madden have this type of set up.

10. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

Srider: It's always fast for you since you never make it to the 2nd round. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. PurpleBeefyMan

Maybe Offically tournaments r held on arcade machines but there might be smaller, unoffical tournaments played on console there. Like just about every US tournament? =P The last tournament i seen only took so long cause there were a bunch of games and people were signed up for multiple games and no one was around to play their turns. It was really unorganized and i think it would've taken no time if the players were all in the same room watching and ready to play when it's their turn

12. AmunRa

AmunRa Active Member

wouldn't be cool if vf was an online fighter. then we could organize tournaments via vfdc. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif