1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

uploading some fight replays online. any tips and stratedies are welcome

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by Kagamizen, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Kagamizen

Kagamizen Member

PSN:
    Kagamizen
    XBL:
    Kagamizen
    Vanessa is probably my number 4 character. Pai (1) , Sarah (2) , Brad (3) are the other characters i use

2. Flyingguillotine

Flyingguillotine Well-Known Member

I would choose one character I really like and master that one before I jump from character to character. If you are going to insist on using more the one , at least use characters with similar ranges and play styles. As for the Vanessa video, I suggest you consult the combo list on this site. From what I have seen, you chronically use lightweight combos on a character that is clearly a heavyweight. Half those hits on Jacky continually missed after the H.a.w.k, yet you kept doing the same combo.

It's a deep game, even in this watered down iteration. You aren't going to master it in a weekend. Certainly not using 4 characters simultaneously. For starters work on fuzzy guard and punishing , and canceling evades. We are not going to learn much about your play style watching a mere 2.5 minute video. Enjoy the game and welcome to the world of Virtua Fighter.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  3. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    I totally agree with what flyingguillotine said. First u have to know that van is maybe the hardest char to learn because of her 2 different fighting style. U should focus to 1 char of ur choice and master him... But if u really wanna learn using vanessa i can advice u to make mirror matches as much as possible with good van s players... There is a thread with good van players so i invite u to send them friend request and play with them. Watch what they do and try to understand their strategies... For any question feel free to pm me or to put a msg in the thread "ask a question get an answer"

4. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

I don't want to overload you with information as a beginner, so I'll just point out some things to keep in mind based upon the video.

If you hit with OS [9][K], try using [K][P][6][K] -> [3][K][K]. This combo works on most of the cast. If you're having trouble getting [3][K][K] to execute rather than a down attack, try holding [3_] earlier.

Be careful about attacking after [1][K]. People get away with this on me online, but it's not a good idea if the game is working fairly well.

DS is a hard stance to use for beginners, but try to remember a couple of things about it. First, if you hit with a move that causes your opponents to react with [2][P], and you're confident that your attack with beat it, use either [6][K] (counter hit) [P][+][G] or a throw. This is an oversimplification, but it's a good starting point. Also, if you guard a move that looks big to you and you're not sure what will hit, try [K][K].

I liked how you used a back dash into OS [4][3][P][+][K] (hit) [P][+][G]. I wish Vanessa players would do that more often.

5. Dark Nova Void

Dark Nova Void Well-Known Member

I suggest you learn the fundamentals of VF and like MakiLeSushi and flyingguillotine you should pick one character to learn. Lucky for you all four of the characters you are interested in have a beginners guide, just go to that character forum and select "Starting Out With" to get the information. Good Luck! :)

6. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    @Libertine: I remember doing the math for OS [4][3][P][+][K] at some point: against most of the cast the hit-throw actually does more damage than the VF5 vanilla combos and the move is no longer throw punishable to boot. Still, i suppose that for most vanessa players, the loss of the tech-crouch property was too much to bear - you might as well backdash into [3][P][+][K] which is a mid and does more damage or even backdash into [9][P] which is only a couple of frames slower.

@Kagamizen:

0:13 you start a round with OS 9K. That very risky because, as you can see, it's a 17f jumping move and any counter hit will send vanessa flying. You were lucky your opponent didn't do a more damaging combo.

0:16 as mentioned by Libertine, the staple combo for OS 9K is [K][P][6][K] > [3_][K][K]. It's not that hard and does more damage. Learn it, love it.

0:22 again, as mentioned above, you're at -6 after a [1][K] NH. Your opponent is letting you get away with murder.

0:24 you land [K][P][P] and then do [3][P]. I assume that's a failed input for the [3][K] stomp.

0:39 you backdash away from jacky's 7K and try to dash > throw. You should have probably tried OS [9][P] (see below)

1:03 you try to [8][P] pounce after landing a neutral throw. As you can see the opponent has time to get up and punish you with one of jacky's slowest attacks (jumping kick). Try stomping the opponent instead - that way if they get up you're won't be vulnerable to retaliation.

1:38 (not vane specific) jacky's [6][P][P][P] is punishable.

1:54 this time you block jacky's [7][K] and, again, go for dash > throw. You were lucky that your opponent didn't escape your throw but, remember, OS [9][P] is guaranteed in those cases, and the damage would have been higher.

2:03 jacky whiffs [9][K] in front of you and you do [2][K][P][P] Vanessa's low-high-high string that only combos at a counter hit. A similar string, [K][P][P] combos on recovery hit; using it for whiff punishing is a good idea because it's fast and has a good reach. Learn the distances - when you feel like [K][P][P] will whiff you should probably try whiff punishing with [9][P] (as mentioned above).

2:11 you try OS [2][K][P][6] Intruder Step [P][+][G] (from the looks of it, you get counter hit out of it). Never do that. There are no mixups out of [2][K] - you either land it on CH, in which case [2][K][P][P] is guaranteed; or you land it on NH in which case your opponent can always low punch you (or worse) out of [2][K][P]. If you don't want to hitcheck,fine, but don't try intruder step shenanigans, it will get you killed (as you saw); just mixup between [2][K][P][P] which is high but positive on block and [2][K][P][K] which is mid but negative on block.

2:14: you land OS [4][4][K][+][G] without doing any combo afterwards. A VERY simple followup is [2][P] > [3_][K][P][K], does decent damage, works on everyone, leaves you at a nice position. There are obviously even better ones.

2:17 again, jacky's [6][P] string goes unpunished. You're letting your opponent get away with murder here.

2:20 again blocked [7][K] > dash is throw.

ALL IN ALL:

Good overall play - i didn't see you mashing any strings randomly, you played very conservatively, excellent spacing, you nailed the one hit-throw you tried (so you're already better than me!), you're missing some combos and some frame-related knowledge but you'll familiarize yourself with character-specific information soon enough. What's important is that you seem to have the correct mind-set for vanessa.

Since you seem to favor spacing, my recommendation is to hit the dojo (or visit this thread) and see which moves have a long reach and try to incorporate them into your playstyle. Also, if i may, substituting a couple of [9][K] for some of vane's counter hit launchers (for example [6_][K] or [6][6][K]) wouldn't hurt either.

Keep it up!

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Kagamizen likes this.
  7. Kagamizen

Kagamizen Member

PSN:
    Kagamizen
    XBL:
    Kagamizen
    @erdraug 0:24 was a input mistake. frame data was never my strongest suit but i will definitely pay more attention to it