1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Vanessa: Gliding punches

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by Painty_J, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

Okay, so has anyone here found a way to determine which direction you should use with Vanessa's gliding punches, and whether they're stance dependent?

For example, in open stance, is it best to do [G][2][P] or [G][8][P]? I've never really given this any serious thought in a match, so I never noticed a good method. If anyone knows off the top of their head which one is most likely to connect without eating a linear attack, I'd really appreciate the info.

Thanks for your time.

2. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

They are the same AFAIK. Same exe, recovery, and evade properties. Of course if the attack is half circular you should dodge in the correct direction, but it doesn't matter which version of the move you do other than that I think.

3. Painty_J

Well, I was asking WHICH direction I should use, based on open/closed stance, because I have a hunch that the one towards her stomach actually evades less, but I'm not sure. I haven't taken the time to try it out, nor have I paid attention in any matches where I use it.

4. Dandy_J

If the move is evadeable toward their back, do it in the direction of their back, etc. That has nothing to do with open/closed stance.

Use [8] if:
    The move is evaded toward their front, and their back is showing, or

The move is evaded toward their back, and their front is showing.

Use [2] if:
    The move is evaded toward their front, and their front is showing, or

The move is evaded toward their back, and their back is showing.

All you have to do is evade in the correct direction for the move if it's half circular. Either towards their back or towards their front.

I'm pretty sure the moves just have a different animation, I don't think one dodges better than the other.

EDIT: after a quick look at the frame data, it seems that one of the punches has 1 additional frame in its recovery and 1 in its execution.

In normal stance (back to screeen if 1p, front if 2p)

Hold [G] [8]+[P] exe 22, -13 on block, -1 on hit

Hold [G] [2]+[P] exe 21, -12 on block, 0 (even) on hit

of course both mid crumple on mC or MC.

Still, the only time using one over the other would really matter at all is against Wolf or Jeff, so if you use the one that's -12 on block, they can't [P] you for free. Other than that, there really isn't much of a diff.

5. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

sort of related - does anybody actually use any of the other gliding punches/kicks? i haven't a clue as to how to use those other ones, and haven't seen them much on the vids either.

6. pkg_inc

pkg_inc Well-Known Member

here's some about it:
    ta-da

try the vanessa section next time /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. Painty_J

But that doesn't answer my question really...

Agios: The kicks ([1][K] and [7][K]) are pretty good if you can nail the followup [6][P]+[G] and force a handhold. Otherwise, the disadvantage you get from using them kinda negates their usefulness.

8. Dandy_J

[ QUOTE ]
    Painty_J said:
    But that doesn't answer my question really...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Dandy_J said:
    In normal stance (back to screeen if 1p, front if 2p)

Hold [G] [8]+[P] exe 22, -13 on block, -1 on hit

Hold [G] [2]+[P] exe 21, -12 on block, 0 (even) on hit

[/ QUOTE ]

So the one towards her front/stomach has slightly better stats...

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Just pure speculation, but the one with worse stats seems to dodge better. I.e. the dodge towards the stomach version has a bit more start up time where she's vulnerable.