1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Vanessa VF5FS Version A Change Log

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by akai, Feb 8, 2012.

1. steelbaz

steelbaz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    Starting to pick up Van, I like both stances, but OS is the better of the 2 for my playstyle. DS has really solid options though. Good tips and commentary in here [​IMG]

2. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    I'm pretty sure DS [4][P][+][K] not launching on recovery counterhit (as well as [6][K] hit-throw not working on recovery CH but the damage is laughable AND escapable anyway) is one of the main reasons OS is more appealing than DS. As always, vanessa has to wait for +17 to get decent punishment damage.

Now, i'm not complaining, a [P][K] string was a major buff for DS, plus [K][K] comboing on recovery CH (Aside: yup, i was right. So there's even more incentive to just spam [K][K]. It also has 5 active frames. Why? Beats me :confused:) is great - but it's not really standing palm damage territory. And with online opponents spamming unsafe launchers, being able to punish for decent, guaranteed (not throw-escapable) damage with [6][P][+][K] really favours OS.

Also successfully reading evades with OS [6_] [K] or OS [2][K][+][G] and PARTICULARLY successfully reading a low punch with OS [9][P] also helps OS.

Quick, you're in DS and you just KNOW your opponent will low punch - what do you do? DS [1][P] for 20-ish damage and +2f? I guess, there's always DS jump > [P] for, dunno, 40-50 dmg? Only problem is, if your opponent elbows instead he's gonna take you for a ride > cue MvC2 music. The damage on OS [9][P] is higher and getting CH seems to hurt less.

Same deal with reading evades - quick, you know your opponent will sidestep in DS. [6][6][K] will net you some damage and knockdown, [6][P][3][K] some damage; [3][P][+][K] now that's some serious sidestep killer. Yeah, if only the range weren't so short :( I've had many an opponent's blocked elbow > evade to vane's stomach avoid boomerang hook :(

OS [6_][K] and OS [2][K][+][G] have great range and the damage potential off them is certainly more exciting than the DS options.

To sum things up (again, with my limited experience these past 10 days) OS now seems to reward BOTH blocking and punishing AND outguessing your opponent. DS is stuck with outguessing your opponent. So preferring OS seems logical.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    Chefboy_OB likes this.
  3. SecretCharacter

SecretCharacter New Member

I have a question. I am new to this forum and just started playing FV5FS. I played all the other VF's up to FV4. I used vanessa in 4, but I havent played this game since then. I am noticing that a lot of my habits are hurting me. Things that worked really well in FV4 dont work so well in FS. I remember I used to spend most of my time in DS in 4, but in 5 I use OS more. Is that pretty much the staple stance now? Would any of you give me an idea of the ideal way to play with her now?

...and, did they remove the hammer knuckle from the takedown moves? Can you only use the 3 throws from a takedown?

Your input would really help.

Thank you

4. leftylizard

leftylizard Well-Known Member

XBL:
    blue mouthwash
    There is no staple stance in Final Showdown. Your choice of stance depends on the character you are fighting and how the opponent is playing them. For instance, I prefer to use DS against Lau,Eileen, and Lion cause they are offensive characters. But if I see someone is blocking a lot with them then I will switch to OS and attack them. Thats another thing....KNOW YOUR OPPONENT. If you have no knowledge of other characters then you will probably lose a lot with Vanessa.

And yeah, I think the three throws are all you can do after Vanessa's takedown.