1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 Live Arena Top Players Interview

Discussion in 'Console' started by Myke, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Source: dengekionline.com
    Translation: Ogi
    Edited: Myke

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>How's the lag? How's the gameplay? With VF5 Live Arena (VF5LA), top players can play eachother online nationwide!</span>

On 6th December, VF5LA goes on sale, and the biggest talking point about this Xbox 360 version is online play.

We uploaded a match between two top players of Japan, Koedo and Fuudo. On top of that, we also got Aniaki, a member of the VF series editorial department and also known as a famous Akira player during VF4 days. We watched the match and talk about it in the interview below.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Fuudo</span>
    2006 VF5 Otenami Haiken 5 champion. Main character is Lion. Mostly appears at Ikebukuro Gigo.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Koedo</span>
    2006 VF5 Otenami Haiken 5 finalist who fought Fuudo in the finals. Main character is Kage. Mostly appears Friday nights at Shinjuku Nishiguchi.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Aniaki</span>
    Played VF for 13 years. Main character is Akira. On weekends he plays at his local arcade (secretly, although everyone thinks he quit!) Current rank is Emperor (one less than the maximum rank, win ratio < 70%).

Visit the source link above to stream the movie. This interview discusses events in the movie.[/size]

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Just by watching the game, there appears to be no lag? But how does it move in reality?</span>

How do you feel about VF5LA online play?
    Fuudo: Surprisingly, just by looking you don't feel there's lag.
    Koedo: Up until now, online fighting games have visually appeared to lag. But by looking at this match now, I can't feel the lag.
    Aniaki: Currently, with even optic fibre in the home, it's impossible to not have lag. But, comparing this movie with a movie from the arcade, and there's no difference. This is awesome!

Then, how do you feel when you actually play online?
    Koedo: Stubbornly, I feel there is always some lag. I can feel about 2~3 frames of lag.
    Fuudo: I'm about the same.
    Koedo: When you move the joystick then look at your character move, you feel heavy. But nonetheless, the lag is very small.
    Aniaki: By just looking at it, there are some details you can see...
    Fuudo: Like evade cancelling, if you do it continuously you can feel a little heavy.

(Note: by "heavy" they mean sluggish)

You are two top players, does a little lag affect your gameplay?
    Fuudo: If you play in the arcade and understand the VF5 system well, then you will notice, and might be bothered by, the lag. Especially with things like Just Ukemi, Guaranteed Counters and Combos, etc.
    Koedo: The countering is very tight. At the end of the movie you see I blocked Lion's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif but my standing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif counter didn't make it in time. Since /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is -12, and Kage's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is 11f, it should have been guaranteed to connect.
    Aniaki: Looking at the last scene, Koedo guarded then pressed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif several times, I immediately thought "Koedo won". But the counter attack failed and lost him the match. In a tournament that would be a problem, but during normal or casual play, I think something like this won't cause too much trouble.

Oh, I see. So 1 or 2 frames delay can affect the gameplay.
    Fuudo: Yeah, but is also depends on the player too. Easy combos are fine, but with harder combos, if you keep in mind the lag, then you can try to perform them from pure hand/muscle memory.
    Koedo: Honestly, there's always going to be a bit of lag. But top players will find this annoying (laugh).
    Aniaki: VF5's system is very detailed and frame specific. Like Just Ukemi's command input, if you mash it you'll gain more damage...
    Koedo: There are a lot of details like that, and people who play in the arcade will definitely get annoyed by the lag. Just looking at your own character and it's moves, there's no real problem. But when you look at your opponent, naturally, it's necessary to correspond (or react) to their actions. If the frames are severe, then... lag (laugh).
    Aniaki: Top player's problem! (laugh)

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Online VF5, basic system understanding, and having fun.</span>

The lag may be harsh for top players, but how about beginners and amateurs?
    Fuudo: Generally, I think it's good. You can train high, mid, low attacks, throwing techniques, ukemi, and other game aspects. VF5 online lets you practice against real opponents.
    Koedo: Hmm, yeah. Once you test things out in Training Mode, you can go online and put it to practice. It's very good.

I see. Talking about the fun of VF competition, with VF5LA is there any problem with the level (skillwise) of online competition?
    Koedo: No real problem I think. The relationship between throw or attack, which you can force on your opponent is where the fun is, and the lag will be the least of your concerns.
    Aniaki: Until now, all console fighting games have been about calling your friends over to play. Of course, you can also play by yourself, practice, etc. But with VF5LA, after you've trained you can test your skills online and have fun. You don't need to go to an arcade. It's also good for beginners and amateurs who don't have an arcade nearby. For them, this is a great environment!
    Fuudo: VF5 versus play is deep and interesting, so for a beginner to play in an arcade, the environment can be harsh and the threshold for learning very strict. With VF5LA, you can learn the basics and have fun, and eventually you can play in the arcade, by all means!
    Koedo: We all want to be playing in the arcade, right? So, just jump in and challenge! (laughing)
    Aniaki: There are always official Sega tournaments every month or so, if you want to test your skills then by all means enter a tournament and enjoy the experience and atmosphere. I think that's what makes VF5 more fun.

Thankyou for today's interview.

2. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Nice read, thanks.

3. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Damn, my secret has been discovered - and i thought i was the only one who was taking advantage of lion's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif becoming "safe" due to latency issues /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Thank you for the translation and editing - nice to finally read what the top/japanese players think of the online implementation /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbs_up.gif

4. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

they have monthly off. tournies wow lucky jap's!!!

5. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

*Grumbles*

/me Knew...

6. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

It's good to hear these things from top players. Makes me feel better when I bitch about certain situations haha.

Was a good read.

7. gl0ry

gl0ry Well-Known Member

Good read.

I totally agree with them but at the same time I read this thinking to myself...these are top players who can play offline anytime they wish. The fact that most of us don't live in japan or have any arcades around means that we have to deal with frame of lag because it's better than nothing.

If there's one thing i've learned over the years.. it's that adjusting from online to offline is easy, but not so much visa versa. If we're able to have nice execution online then the adjustment to play offline, whenever that time comes, will be a much easier transition.

Hopefully everyone agrees.

8. Coroo

Coroo Well-Known Member

man, i through i was the only one that noticed this heavy feeling while playing on line. it feels like i'm playing a modded verison of like vf2... well input wise

9. DaBadSeed

DaBadSeed Well-Known Member

very nice read

10. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Thanks for translation.

I want to point out, that in Japan, those guys have obscenely good internet connection, and they are mostly playing nearby opponents there. If they experience slight lag, then its multiplied tenfold or more over here in the rest of the world, especially when playing international opponents.

11. Auvii

Auvii Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Auvii
    You believe that online games have nearly 10+ frame loss? Thats a ridiculous estimate. International matches, sure, but US coast to coast, thats not right at all. Not to say there haven't been games with extreme lag that you speak of, but consistently?

I would like to mention that its GREAT to see top level players supporting online play and not spitting garbage about how it will effect low-high tier players. Even with the admitted 1-3f loss in a game they mention how good it can be for players to practice and learn more.

Lets not forget what Fuudo says towards the end, basically debunking all the statement from the online haters on these forums. If you didn't read it let me sum it up... If you play online your basically preparing yourself to do better in the Arcades.... Read that twice if necessary.

thanks for translation!

12. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

Fudo's not going to say it's crap when he's been given a sweet gig like that, take these interviews with a pinch of salt.

13. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    This is actually an encouraging statement about online!

Since I have PS3 I haven't had the opportunity to see how VF plays online. I could only follow the discussion on the posts, but if these two guys who are top tier and top of their game can
    basically deal with the lag (with some minor annoyances),

Then my low (no) tier, pad using play shouldn't have any problems
    at all. Bring online to PS3! Whoopeeeeee!

Thanx for the interview. This should be requried reading for all of those who complain too much about lag.

14. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

I think they put it perfectly... The lag is there but it's very slight and does not impact the game in any major way... VF5's online, and now SC4 are both very good and add so much value to the titles...

The online mode is the best place to test your skills and have great, fun games period. We don't have arcades anymore, we have online, that's it. Let's make the best of it.

15. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

One thing you guys need to keep in mind that the U.S. doesnt have anything remotely close to Japans internet speed due to companies like at&t and such regulating what they think we should be allowed to have. I also did play vf5 live arena on XBL there and almost all my matches were 4 green bars, something I rarely see over here.

16. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    10 frames would be 160ms. I'm close to the middle of the us, and my ping times to either coast are at best 60-70ms, usually more like 100ms. 160ms coast to coast doesn't sound ridiculous to me at all; it's a little high, but certainly not by a factor of 10. Playing in the us you're going to get closer to 10 frames of lag than to 1 frame of lag.

17. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I beg to differ. I'd like to point out this excerpt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are two top players, does a little lag affect your gameplay?
    Fuudo: If you play in the arcade (offline) and understand the VF5 system well, then you will notice, and might be bothered by, the lag. Especially with things like Just Ukemi, Guaranteed Counters and Combos, etc.
    Koedo: The countering is very tight. At the end of the movie you see I blocked Lion's but my standing counter didn't make it in time. Since /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is -12, and Kage's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is 11f, it should have been guaranteed to connect.
    Aniaki: Looking at the last scene, Koedo guarded then pressed several times, I immediately thought "Koedo won". But the counter attack failed and lost him the match.
    Koedo: Honestly, there's always going to be a bit of lag. But top players will find this annoying (laugh).
    Aniaki: VF5's system is very detailed and frame specific. Like Just Ukemi's command input, if you mash it you'll gain more damage...
    Koedo: There are a lot of details like that, and people who play in the arcade (offline) will definitely get annoyed by the lag. Just looking at your own character and it's moves, there's no real problem. But when you look at your opponent, naturally, it's necessary to correspond (or react) to their actions. If the frames are severe, then... lag (laugh).</div></div>
    I'm not connoting that I'm a top player but I get annoyed with lag when I play online for the very same reasons I've highlighted.

I've missed guaranteed counters, hit throws and combos all the time due to lag and yes I can say that it has cost me matches I might have won.

Realizing these factors I don't take online play too seriously and I hardly play online anymore. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Not for nothing I've had some great online experiences and I think its wonderful that its available. If anything I guess I can blame my online service as to why one day my connections are great and other days its not so good.

To end off I'd like to quote Sudden Death's sig.
    "The lag will be with you. Always!"

18. Isca

Isca Member

can't find some Aniaki vidz can someone give some link of this player? (very curious about this guys who's playing since 13 years)

19. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    From what I heard he doesn't really participate much at major arcade scenes. He kind of hides out at a small local arcade in his area. AniAKi is definitely a super strong Akira player and used to be one of my favorites during the VF4 ver. C & VF4 EVO days. Like most VF players his age(over 30 I believe) I assume they kind of feel they have to move on and be a little more serious about life. They can't just hang out in arcades all the time. I am sure this is why he is staying low key, but for the love of the series he still gets a few games in from time to time.

If you check youtube you should be able to find tons of VF4 clips of him. It's probably not what you are looking for, but at least you can get an idea of his play style. He can be a pretty aggressive fucker.

20. Isca

Isca Member

Ok konjou thanks for advice, I'm interessted by vf4 too (first vf in my life ^^).I have another question (the last I swear): are the old school player (of vf4, evo and ft) dissapointed by vf5?It seems like a few good player don't play anymore..