1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 Ver.C Kage ShouRyuuZan Combos

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Jan 13, 2012.

By Myke on Jan 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    It's not every day a combo video for VF5 gets made. In response to an enquiry made in the VF5 Ver.C Kage Combos thread on the timings required for Kage's (Shippuujin) [3][P] ShouRyuZan (SRZ) "bounce" combos, I decided to put together a video. It demonstrates various SRZ combos and covers the basic and more advanced combos applicable to the entire cast. Enjoy! Also available in HD!

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Jan 13, 2012.

1. akai
      akai
      Excellent presentation! Is this the new standard we should be expecting vids from you? [​IMG]
    2. Rodnutz
      Rodnutz
      My God the quality of this video is just amazing Myke. This is definitely the new standard for VF combo vids.

My favorite part of this video is the character selection type list at the bottom designating who the combo works on. Lots of other awesome ideas in there too! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I can't wait to see what you do for an FS combo video when that drops.
    3. VF2011
      VF2011
      I was going to say the same about the character selection at the bottom. Makes it very easy to see which characters the combos work against.

I don't use Kage myself, but the video is very well put together and makes it very easy to see what is going on.
    4. Myke
      Myke
      Thanks guys! Took a lot of work initially learning Premiere Pro, streamlining the workflow and preparing all the non-video artefacts, but I hope to maintain this standard with future efforts.
    5. Nono
      Nono
      Absolutely excellent video, really well laid out...
    6. Pike
      Pike
      Dont like/use Kage, but execellent Video!!!!!!!!
    7. jinxhand
      jinxhand
      Noticed quite a bit of people crying on other sites because there were "too many combos" and "weight specific combos"... Last I checked, other games had character specific combos as well as "BIG" combos (i.e.: Jack-6 & Kuma/Panda combos in T6 or Nemesis combos in UMvC3). I never understand the hypocrisy.

Real talk though, a FS mega tut should spawn from this once it drops... I'm sure it would help a ton of people understand the game... There's just too much potential that's shown from watching this.
    8. Myke
      Myke
      jinxhand, I noticed those comments too, and you're dead right -- pretty much every fighting game has character specific details due to differing size, weight, height, hit boxes, etc.

I made a point to show, at the very beginning of the video, the basic SRZ combo that works on everyone to pre-empt all the "too hard" comments but it seems many people already have their minds made up, despite the evidence put before them.

I'll definitely plan to do a bunch of FS related tutorials as well, but in the meantime I'll be cranking out more for VF5 Ver.C.
    9. jinxhand
      jinxhand
      I'll say this, at the very least, if you're rollin' with ver. C til FS release, then I guess an official "intro to VF" would be the best thing for those making the shift from 2D (or 2.5D) to 3D, or those jumping from another 3D fighter to this one...

Definitely debunk the whole stigma of VF being hard. KOF's myths have been debunked finally, so I feel it's VF's turn...
    10. Myke
      Myke
      Noted! I'm just finishing up a couple more character-specific videos, and then I'll focus on an intro to VF series for new players.
    11. Dennis0201
      Dennis0201
      [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    12. Berzerk
      Berzerk
      Great...! I was pleased to see this vid get traction and its a quality production. Well done Myke.

But I'm most pleased that you'll do an intro. As I've learned to streamline my approach with new players for the last few years running small VF events, at which many of the participants are new to VF, I really want to see the "its so hard!" perception shattered.

The game is easy to pick up and play with only a few basics given. You can fast track people to becoming good players in a very short space of time by showing them the absolute simplest mechanics, starting with the button layout, then info on the way attack strings work, and hit-height for correct blocking.

I tend to ignore sidestep until after they have that down.

In no time you're dropping them into a chunk of the movelist and how to apply combos, pressure, and mindgames in the VF context.
    13. jinxhand
      jinxhand
      Myke, since Sega doesn't understand the concept of hype and advertising, do you by chance happen to have a video that can be pushed for that sole purpose??? I mean the game is coming out soon, and nothing has been heard from Sega since PAX 2011.

I mean there are games that haven't even come out, and they've been talked about and vids have been pushed for the past year and some change (SFxT, SCV, even Skullgirls). For an independent company, Revenge Labs is making more moves for their first project than Sega has for VF, a game that has many years under its belt, and one that has made history as the first 3D fighter from an established company.

I'm not saying the fans should be the source of hype, but are we truly VF's last hope of survival???
    14. Myke
      Myke
      Forgot to reply to this:

Do I have a video for the purposes of hyping VF5? Unless you're referring to some hype tournament matches or something, which I'd have to dig around for, then my answer is no.

As I mentioned previously, I do have some things in mind targeted towards the greater FGC. These are still at the planning stage though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not saying the fans should be the source of hype, but are we truly VF's last hope of survival???</div></div>
      I know many people are growing anxious at the lack of any official news, but, it would not make any business sense for SEGA not to do anything leading up to the game's release after their initial engagement with us, the VF community. Perhaps their timing, or perceived lack thereof, isn't to everyone's satisfaction but let's just hang in there.

I'm still personally excited that it's coming home!
    15. Myke
      Myke
      Minor update:

In the Basic SRZ Combo vs Jeffry:

(shi) [3][P] > [P] (miss) > [2][P] > [2][P] > [4][6][P][+][K][P]

I mention that since the last hit misses Jeffry, that you could forgo it, enter Shippuujin again and apply more pressure (e.g. if he doesn't tech, then do another (shi) [3][P]).

However, damage wise this is non-ideal, and what I failed to include was this alternative "Basic" combo vs Jeffry:

(shi) [3][P] > [P] (miss) > [2][P] > [2][P] > [6][2][3][P][+][K] (43 pts)

which is just 1pt less damage than the basic combo vs the rest of the cast.

Happy SRZing!