1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5FS Akira - Overpowered??

Discussion in 'General' started by Junsuina Chikara, Apr 19, 2013.

1. G0d3L

G0d3L Well-Known Member

I'm not joining this Akira overpowered/not overpowered discussion but want to clarify how his 9K works.

Its first 6 frames are not evadable but having 25 frames of startup it means you can EDC/ECD and block it.
    If it is done from +7 (or the evade is inputted on the 7th frame or later) you can successfully evade it.

So not circular at all, just a very good slow move (like kage's 9K+G).

On the contrary of what you said in another post its circular-ish property is at its best at not nitaku situation (in nitaku you have only the +6 scenario)

Ytpme_Secaps, jimi Claymore and Cozby like this.
  2. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Been talking out his ass... Just dying to have the last word..:X3:

cruzlink2 likes this.
  3. cruzlink2

cruzlink2 Well-Known Member

If you can't beat him join him.

Sozos, G0d3L and Seminasuke like this.
  4. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    That's what happened to you when you used to play Shun.

steelbaz, Zekiel and IcKY99 like this.
  5. Mold_Monkey93

Mold_Monkey93 Well-Known Member

Yo this man here has won the interwebs

Ellis, MadeManG74 and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
  6. Ytpme_Secaps

Ytpme_Secaps Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Jami San
    og said it well, Akira may be great , but he isnt a crutch for bad players. Many characters have moves/strings that are abused as a crutch, akira cant really go all lei fei on someone, akiras got to use yomi, like goh, the 2 most "skeleton" characters.

tho akira's inashi that kills high and low punch is awesome. if you make me afraid to p or 2p that opens akira up to reverse mid. or abare me.

Citrus likes this.
  7. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

It's too simplified to call 9K a full circular.
    Like on opponent's tech roll if you time it to beat a evade, you are vulnerable to big abare moves like Jacky's 6K, whereas if you use a simple K+G you can beat big abare AND both evade directions.
    At medium advantage a simple standing P from the opponent and you are in for 1/3 of your life.

I would say from my Akira experience that you only see Akira's weaknesses when you play vs very good opponents that have a clue on how to defend his shit or how to properly defend in the game in general (in a pro active way would say). If you play against lesser skilled players that tend to freeze or play slower than you, Akira will go through them like a train.

That's why it's important to play the char not just to look at it on paper.
    I think there is a reason why even in Japan you don't see Akira dominate tournaments like the tier list would want him to. Judging from last 2 years tourneys, Taka has much better results for ex.

From my exp i would say some of his weaknesses are:
    -Linear
    -Kindah poor range, avarage zoning
    -Most of his good moves are P based, he needs to switch to much lesser effecient moves when playing chars with good sabakis.
    -Poor low game
    -Poor rising attacks
    -No strings
    -Has to comit to risky moves to do good damage vs crouch guard, whereas other chars can do better with strings or confirmable 2hits.
    -Easy to figure out (you block him you can attack, no waiting for tricks etc)

Zekiel, Ytpme_Secaps, Cozby and 3 others like this.
  8. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Lmao, 3P+K? He also has the fastest chip damage "crap low" in the game at 14f.

I'd like to argue this with 214P, but it is a bit slow and I think atleast PK punishable on evade, but 3K+GP+K is not mega-risky at -13. Otherwise he can just loop 666P into oki all day I guess.

I'd call having a sabaki and reversals either tricks, or above-avorage defense.

9. Chibitox

1- 3P+K is blocked 70% of the time by good players offline, very good players can dodge--> launch you. How often do you see high level Akira players use 3P+K ?
    On the other hand, vs other players that can't react to it, the move is indeed very strong. It all depends on who you fight against. But in the end I still consider it a move to not use that much as a low. I use it as a sabaki crusher or after a backdash not as something to break high guard from a neutral situation.

2K is fast but does very low damage. You'll be surprised how many times the opponent is still on his feet when you thought he would die when using this move. If you compare it with Vane's 2K from crouch, it's 2 frames faster but 50% less damage. -5 on hit to do 10 damage still lmao ?
    Shun has same speed with his 2K btw, and probably much better range/evasive properties. And he has full circular lows, 1KK etc.

2- 3K+G, P+K is not a natural combo from the front iirc.
    214P is great for some scenarios (meaties, after big stagger) but in actual game it's pretty slow, can't really base your game on that one.

3- Reversal are sub par defensive options since the removal of multi-TE imo, high risk low reward.
    His sabaki is really good but doesn't work on mids which is what nitaku is about (mid/throw). It's good against predictable strings/flowcharts, not general defensive scenarios. If you go SDE (blocked) --> sabaki you won't get much sucess. :p

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Online? 24/7 :p

Anyway I am finding this overall discussion - and especially Marlys revival of it - quite pointless.
    I agree with anyone saying Akira is the best character in FS, but I think it is necessary to add that the actual difference between SS and E tier in FS is LOWER that between A and B tier in Tekken.
    Also, when it comes to VF, I like to add that the game is strongly player-oriented so what may be OP versus me and my Wolf may be inferior to say Mister and his Wolf, and vice versa. It may happen that simple DE/SDE/GB/throw spamming Akira is directly destroying your game as it is, but that is YOU and YOUR game. Other people with the very same character may - and often will - see it differently. Also please note this is based upon personal experiences, not upon reading paper full of frames and inputs ;)

adamYUKI and Ytpme_Secaps like this.
  11. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    The thing about akira and generally everything we discussing here with too much info and tech i would say just do the half of these first and then complain. I mean we are all good to talking and complaining about everything but im wondering if anyone here doing the half of these. If you thing akira is too easy and you can expose his OP stuffs just show it to us. And that is not only about akira but for everychar. This is my opinion guys,without offend to anyone. :)

SDS_Overfiend1 and Chibitox like this.
  12. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    It s simple, vs a opponent who stay on guard with van i got 3 main options, throw, low attacks, keep pressuring with poke (i mean basically) akira got same things with a guard break of 13fr which leads to a combo...
    On fall recovery if my opponent used to throw or attack with a meaty, i can guard and input a throw escape, akira can use a throw (one leads to a combo) meaties or once again, guard break, i mean it s easy for akira's players to say that it is coz the opponent stand, but another case for exemple, st akira do P if u crouch u get 3K and free PK if u stand u get a guard break, this is a stupid strong option and when it s 13fr u don t have even time to react... So just with it i say yes akira overpowered!!!

13. Chibitox

Akira ST game is pretty different than other chars, against him evade in the good direction (to avoid 46P+K+G) might be the best option whereas against other chars you could say guard+ TE is the safest bet.
    Well to be fair with 9(G)K it's still risky to evade. But 9K loses to stand P for approximately the same damage Akira can do if it hits.
    Just needs to adapt the defensive options to make it less in his favor.
    But if you apply the same mindset that other chars you will lose probably.
    A mid P sabaki will beat: mid guard break, DE/SDE, throw and 46P+K+G that's already pretty good to shut down some strong options.

About that:
    another case for exemple, st akira do P if u crouch u get 3K and free PK if u stand u get a guard break, this is a stupid strong option and when it s 13fr u don t have even time to react..

3K= the same as most other chars
    High guard break= if you crouch you can punish

Most scenarios like after throw escape that leaves side turned high guard break will not reach iirc so it's not even an option.
    The MID guard break is the strong option kindah unique to him in this example, but it's not 13f, don't mix everything :p
    Plus in this case both options can be evaded that's not even a 50/50 mixup :p

Akira options to break standing guard are arguably the best in the game by far, it's his strong point.
    It's somewhat "normal" as guard break does only that: breaking (bad) guard, and nothing else.
    It does not beat guard AND evade like throws, it is insta duckable unlike throws etc. Out of every possible scenarios it beats only one and needs you to waste frames most of the time to be in range.
    He trades this strong point with having more trouble to deal with evades than other chars.
    As a comparison on tech roll if you are 100% sure the opponent will evade DS vanessa can 66K. If opponents block--> safe, if opponent attacks-->CH, if opponent evade --> CH, if oppnents sabakies--> CH, if opponent crouch --> KD

With Akira unless you got a meaty, (which is not always possible after some KDs), you have to be 100% sure to beat both evade directions is to 9K with good timing (not always simple). Which is what all other chars can do if they bait a failed evade into a launcher but tend not to do cause they have circulars. But for Akira it's even worse as in this scenario a big launcher can hit him. Other option is throw which also loses big launchers and crouch.

So here we are, back at square one, Vanessa has to take risks to beat standing guard, Akira has to take somewhat the same risks(ie getting launched) to be sure to beat evades. :)
    Even with 9(G)K ,that I suspect, was not something that the devs actually took into account as one of his options. It's more something that players discovered during the game's lifespan that wasn't part of the initial balacing of the char I guess lol.

He has other abilities that are not as strong as other chars:
    -Keeping the oponnent guessing on strings
    -Keeping the opponent from evading
    -Creating damage from a low when // to wall
    -Hit checking to punish whiffs or CH for guaranteed damage
    -Punishing lows (unless you can pull of low block--> knee consistently which is not easy)
    -"Abareing" with a big move on reaction to P(CH). You got 33P and knee as your big launchers. Neither of these are easy to input/mash on reaction where most chars can mash 1P+K, P+K, 3P+K, 9K+G, 3K+G, 6K for easy react/panic/yolo inputs.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  14. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

The MAIN PROBLEM WITH THIS THREAD.... A particular player is having Trouble With Akira and they are trying to pass off the personal feeling of hopelessness as if it is a General Problem with FS. Akira is not overpowered. He HAS to earn his damage just like Jacky (How many people can do the "knee") And HE IS QUITE DIFFICULT TO PLAY WITHOUT GENERAL KNOWLEDGE OF THE SYSTEM BUT HE IS VERY REWARDING IN MY OPINION.

15. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    @Chibitox Punishing lows (unless you can pull of low block--> knee consistently which is not easy)" He has yohou 33p its only 17f. Its not hard to use if you buffer. Thats what i do with jacky's 33p. Of course if the the low is -16 on guard like jacky's descending low K then we have a problem.

16. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Sorry, but 33p is 18f, thats why knee is needed for -17 lows. Thats all, hahaha. But yeah at -16 he doesnt have anything combo starting iirc

17. Ytpme_Secaps

Ytpme_Secaps Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Jami San
    having struggled with a similar situation, and GTE, I tried OM to ST to deal with guard, if your positive on guard moves are not "tricking" your opponent then perhaps getting ST may fool opponent to incorrectly assess his advantage. Keeping a player "locked in" ST is a matter of knowing your characters moves, and perhaps your character has a ST "black arts" trick like Jean's unblockable kk after charged move guarded from ST. And Kage has 4p+k,p , if 4p+k is guarded ST the follow up p is guaranteed, and you get +4, great way to break the ST defense.

18. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    Van doesn t have that black art when she s st everthing is avoidable... it s not like jacky ur char or jean...

19. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

Yoho is 18, and I'd like to see some footage of someone reliably buffering an 18f move with a dash input to punish -18 sweeps. Teach me that magic too. Nulling dashframes is anything but easy to buffer reliably. As for needing knee to punish -17 lows, I don't recall any -17 lows in the game. Nitpicking yes, but they mostly come in -14 standing, -15, -16, -18 or more.

For the -18 gategory that seems to be in question I wouldn't write 6KP off as a bad option. And it's easy.

As for the rest of this shit, carry on.

20. cruzlink2

cruzlink2 Well-Known Member

can we close this thread?