1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VFDC Martial Artists Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Modelah, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    押忍!Osu!

I've always been interested in martial arts, and VF is by far my favorite FG. I also train in real life. If there are any VFDCers who actually practice a martial art, post here!

For starters, though I'm a huge fan and love the sport, I don't do sumo. :D

I've been doing Kyokushin-style Karate (full-contact) here in Japan for the past 6 years. I really like the physical challenge, and the feeling of being mentally 'centered' through the rigors of training. Naturally, I tried learning Jean when FS came out but found he wasn't to my liking, lol.

Any other VirtuaRealWorldFighters out there?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    IvorB, PoisonKid13 and BLACKSTAR like this.
  2. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    I do Tae Kwon Do......kinda sorta like Sarah I guess (Jeet Kune Do/Savate). My kicks don't reach nearly as high, nor am I that flexible (yet). Plus, I can only hold Flamingo stance (not an actual technique for us, but a stance to help us practice setting up kicks) for like 30 seconds if I can even hold my balance. Im only a year (off-and-on) in, though, so working to improve

PoisonKid13 likes this.
  3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Wing Chun. Neutral counter on high punch. It's even better than Jacky's. My hands are faster than his (and therefore, lightning) too. You won't see me doing crazy stuff like a high angle kick anytime soon though.

BLACKSTAR and BlackGeneral like this.
  4. Ellis

Ellis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ellis_Cake
    I did some judo when i was a smaller child,
    And as an older youth had a dabble in a swedish remix of stuff called "goshindo" (http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goshindo#Sverige),

I did not find a totally relevant english link to it, as the version i studied was assembled as a mix of various practical/technical (not as formal) of Thai-boxing, judo and boxing among others, by a swedish person. For instance i recognised throws from my small time with judo, aswell as there were kick and knee-applications from muay-thai and various grips and grappling.

I only did both of these for brief periods in my life though, and would not boast of any particular amazing skills in them. :)

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  5. PoisonKid13

PoisonKid13 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    AngerTheMasses

Thats cool dude! I practice Tae Kwon Do too. And that flamingo stance I can hold for like less than 30 seconds lol. While I am flexible, Im short as hell so the highest I would kick a normal sized person is the shoulder, the neck on a good day :(

This is actually a cool thread idea :)

BLACKSTAR and Ellis like this.
  6. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I do/did Koga-ryu-ninjitsu like my old days main Kage, I still like him but he too different than his vf4 self. I did it for a while but I haven't been to my old dojo in about a year maybe 2. Back when I was active I used to teach the drills section for the strikes, kicks and blocks for the kids/teens class. I still remember my lessons and techniques, albeit my form would be sloppy. I also did Aikido for a year and really liked it too.

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  7. Hououin_Kyouma

Hououin_Kyouma Active Member

I do Hung Gar and started Tai Chi(yang style) less than a year, sometimes looks like a mix of Lau and Aoi, but then there's the "lau gar shouting punches" that looks like some of Jean's charged moves...

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  8. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    I've done Hokuto Shinken for a number years now, ask me anything.

9. Ellis

Ellis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ellis_Cake
    "In the story, Kenshiro is the rightful successor of an ancient art of assassination called Hokuto Shinken, which allows Kenshiro to defeat his adversaries through use of hidden "meridian points."

"The art's power lies in channeling one's energy into a single blow and striking one of the 708 Keiraku Hikō (経絡秘孔?, "Hidden Channeling Points") in the human body. This causes the victim to explode, be controlled involuntarily or otherwise incapacitated. It can also be used to heal certain physical and psychological wounds, such as restoring a person's voice, eyesight or memories, though the main purpose of Hokuto Shinken is assassination."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenshiro

10. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

Goshindo sounds nice. I'd like to practice some mix-and-match art at some point.

For the topic, I've done 4 years or so in taekwondo and then a bit over a year of kickboxing after that before my workhours came in the way. I also practiced some aikido as a kid and I've tried shorinjiryu karate.

I actually tried getting back into the arts just a couple of weeks back after doing no sports whatsoever for the last 2 years but I caught a frigging flu after the first lesson (started with the basic course since I'm way out of shape) which prevented me from continuing. I'll try again in a couple of months when the next basic course begins. Thaiboxing and taekwondo again this time around.

BLACKSTAR and Ellis like this.
  11. GrandpaLoafers

GrandpaLoafers Well-Known Member

Hi VFers! I did six months of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu with a small amount of Muay Thai and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life! One of the reasons it was so great is that I had a sensei (and a great group of fellow practitioners) who made it a full mind/body/spirit practice. Sadly, my sensei moved and the dojo closed down; that was the only reason I stopped.

I have since moved and have been trying to find a place to get back into training. There is an Okinawan Karate dojo near my house - been thinking about trying it. And honestly, playing Lion makes me want to learn Wing Chun!

My brief experience with martial arts has really made me love Virtua Fighter. I understand a lot more about the reality behind the game! (and am impressed with the detail in the game)

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  12. Star Outlaw

Star Outlaw Active Member

PSN:
    Star_Outlaw
    XBL:
    Star Outlaw
    I did martial arts for about 10 years. Because I ended up moving around so much, I've had experience with several different styles. I started a year with Wado-Ryu Karate, then did about three years of Tang Soo Do (very similar to Tae Kwon Do and Karate), then three years of Long Fist Kung Fu (which is kind of like Shaolin), then I did three years of Wing Chun. I've also studied some wrestling, jujutsu, Xingyi, and Tai Chi, plus a little yoga and chi-gong.

I haven't had any classes for a while since I moved again and I've had to save my money. I still try to practice what I remember when I can. I guess I could say my own personal style has ended up being a blend of everything. Jacky and Sarah's fighting styles are what I kind of like to emulate though, along with Mantis hand techniques like Lion, throws like Goh, joint locks and ground work like Vanessa's, and kicks like Brad. Since Wing Chun was the last one I learned, it really makes me appreciate Jacky's Jeet Kun Do techniques.

13. aoi ameindei

aoi ameindei Well-Known Member

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    im pretty flexible so i can do all of sarah and pais moves though i cant flip over peoples heads and i can do aois reversals

14. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    I started Kung Fu lessons last November.

15. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Nice. What type?

16. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    Nice thread, Modelah. I do Fujian White Crane Kung Fu. I really love it. That is me suited up in my avatar pic.

Here you can see students from my school performing patterns at a competition in China. I am not among them though:

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  17. renegadedemon89

renegadedemon89 Member

XBL:
    taintedseal89
    I practiced Shotokan Karate for 3 years and Tae Kwon Do for about 2 as a kid. More recently, I briefly practiced a hybrid Kung Fu style called Fa Jing, and I'm now attending a Jeet Kune Do class and loving it.

18. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    I feel ashamed to admit it... but i actually don't know. I knew the instructor, Kenneth, beforehand and sort of remembered to enroll now that my wife's health situation calmed down and we can try to rebuild our old habits.

Ben_Lord_Dur likes this.
  19. Hououin_Kyouma

Hououin_Kyouma Active Member

Well, my master refers to hung gar simply as kung fu, when showing the school to potential new students:"Those in white clothes are mostly doing Taijiquan, except that girl, steping around the yin yang, she is doing Baguazhang... the noisy ones in black are doing kung fu..."

20. Ben_Lord_Dur

Ben_Lord_Dur Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Ben Lord Dur
    This guy is crazy. I really should go visiting his school again...

The whole concept of AH2R is pretty cool though. I'd really like to see the website completed...