1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 6

Discussion in 'General' started by EvenPit, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    We're just going to keep this lie going, huh. What exactly are you people gaining from this?...

2. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I wonder what Eileen will look like in VF6...

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    [​IMG]

4. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

expert dodger

Pai~Chun likes this.
  5. Bring back fighters megamix.

Rodnutz and ToyDingo like this.
  6. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    Are you high fs looks like shit compared to vanilla

DK likes this.
  7. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I don't mind the game being barebones, since they kept the quality where it counts. Online mode, training mode and offline VS are all the best or some of the best money can buy.

Let's face it, VF is a hardcore fighting game, and these are the features that everyone asks for. We got
    - Silky Smooth netcode
    - Button checks at character select (to my knowledge only Skullgirls also does this, yet it's so strongly requested)
    - Replays
    - A robust tutorial and command training

We also got some fluffy stuff that we all love dearly as an optional extra with costume packs that give the game a lot of flair. The soudntrack options are also the best of any game on the market. Even KoFXIII only had two soundtracks to choose from, Final Showdown has more than 5, spanning the entire franchise's history.

Years after KoF has come out, I still have never completed the character trials because the combos are not practical/not optimised anyway, still never completed the 'Story mode' because it's more tedious than fun, and only played the arcade mode to unlock the hidden characters Billy and Saiki. I don't miss that stuff in VF in the slightest.

The digital release meant that we compromised in some areas, but with the cheaper price I think we gained more than we lost. Not to mention Sega probably wouldn't have ponied up the dough for a retail release because, you know, it's not Sonic the Hedgehog or a licensed ALIEN game.

8. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Dingo you are making a qualitative comparison between VF4EVO and VF5FS I am making a quantitative comparison. I did not say anything about robustness :)
    I pointed out the # of modes in VF4EVO (which is my favorite) compared to the # of modes in VF5FS. If we're just counting modes then we can't really call VF5FS barebones when you count the # of modes it has vs the # of modes any other VF game has ever had.

Once we start combining modes, :) then we're into a whole nuther conversation.

I've actually been comparing VF4, VF4EVO and VF5 and VF5FS objectively over the past few days because my nephews are in town and we're playing back and forth between them all. And to be fair to VF5FS it does have more (maybe not better) modes than VF4, VF4EVO and VF5. I've never played VF 1 thru 3 so I can't comment. Although VF5FS is not all that I wanted it to be, it deserves its place among the best fighting games ever produced.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  9. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but that's not even relevant. People are saying the console version of FS had 'vastly inferior graphics' to the arcade version of FS. I never played both versions at the exact same time, so I can't say for certain that there is ZERO difference, but if there is a difference it's a whole lot less noticable than say, the arcade and console versions of Tekken 6. (which hey, didn't that get a disc release, I don't understand!)

10. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    VF5 does look kinda better man - either load it up or check some HD clips. Of course it doesn't have the incredible outfit arrangements of FS, which always drag me right back into it, just when I think I'm out, lol
    It is a shame watching JP replays, we never got the little intro animations. The hardcore frame memorisers may scoff, but these things can be important to increasing the game's profile.

Regarding VF6, I can't see any of us here playing it for years frankly, so wondering if maybe a VF4E petition port would fill the gap? Simply use the same netcode and lobby functions as FS, but maybe ease back a bit on the Ranking stuff, that even now, drives players apart.

11. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    EmpNova I agree with you VF4:EVO even had more to offer from a number-of-features perspective. BUT! If you're just counting modes (not features) VF5FS has more modes in single player than VF4:EVO. Also VF5FS has online modes VF4:EVO does not.

VF4:EVO has 4 Single Player modes:

ARCADE
    Training
    Quest
    Tournaments

VF5FS has 5 Single Player modes

ARCADE
    Training
    Score Attack
    Sparring Mode
    License Challenge (Normal, Hard)

VF4:EVO has 1 vs mode

VF5FS has 2 vs mode (online and offline)

I agree that VF4EVO has more replay value for single player, But VF5FS has more replay value for VS 2+ players.

Yes VF5FS could have been so much more than it is, but from a number of Modes point of view it is at the minimum as good as VF4:EVO and if we're being objective, its better than VF4EVO (in term of #s of modes).

From a graphics and sound point of view VF5FS is demonstrably better.
    From a innovation point of view:

VF5FS adds to player ranks, the concept of a License. Granted they don't do much with the licenses that you get, but its an innovation over other VF games. And you're taking for granted those animations in the special endings, the insane number of customizations compared to other games in the VF series, changing skin colors , hair styles, etc.

VF5FS might not have been the game many of us wanted, but its a much better game than we give it credit for.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    DigitlSamurai likes this.
  12. EvenPit

EvenPit Well-Known Member Content Manager Eileen

I do not know anything on the whole audio compression side but as for graphics VF5 had more "advanced" than FS graphics it looks like to me though they stripped away some of the gloss and shadow casting to keep file size down for FS. Although Vanilla was way slower than FS, and could render those graphics easier I guess.
    And for FS arcade version vs FS "CONSILE PORT" yes it would make sense that things would have to be shaved/compressed. But probably not noticeable unless you're a pixel peeper like mah

13. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    They changed the graphical art style for FS. The console one looks identical to the arcade version according to Sega. It's the audio that too the hit for compression, plus they took out all the videos ; opening sequence and custom previews.

14. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    It doesn't matter if 'it would make sense', because it just straight up isn't true. Somebody saw the graphics, went back to vanilla and thought "hey, this looks better", and randomly decided to state as a fact that FS looks worse because it's a download only title. They never backed this up. If there are differences, they are minuscule. I played the arcade version a bunch, and never found myself thinking it looked better than the home version. Tekken 6, however, I could tell at a glance was better looking in the arcades, and that got a disc release. You people need to stop already.

As for audio, well that's a lot harder to comment on, but the game sounds fine to me. If you're basing that opinion on the grainy sounding announcer, that's by design, and no different in the arcade version.

15. Makusensu

Makusensu Member

PSN:
    NinJy
    Yes the Quest mode of VF5 was fun because it remember arcade centers feeling, with people looking around to see who the gonna challenging, and it miss in VF5FS.

No PS360 version of FS have more beautiful graphics, resolution and AA than the arcade version, really. But yes, if you check at sound data, many are really compressed and/or mono, but it's probably the same for the arcade one, just the sound is so high you don't notice it. Anyway, it's not that who's making the game.

VF still have the lag issue, and it's the reason why many VF players don't play it online, because some combos you worked so hard offline, just don't trigger in time. So you have to choose to learn it to play online or offline...
    Maybe the day when everyone will have optic fiber lol.

I wonder when Sega will talk about VF6, but I think we will have to wait new arcade board before, because their actual one just don't deal with PS4/One perfs.
    And I hope there will be no "Super" bar or something like that, like TN added in DOA5...

16. Optimus_Cack

Optimus_Cack Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SquareNinja
    you have no idea how bad networking is to anyone living outside of a big city in the US

17. ICHIBANin10000

ICHIBANin10000 Well-Known Member

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth and you don't have a clue. You are quick to say "You lie ! You lie!" to everyone that's tells you a solid fact : VF5 FS console version has downgraded visuals and audio. How the F$&$ would you know whether its a lie or not when you just admitted you never played the Japanese version? youre just a blind Fanboy. ******Somebody get Modelah in here to confirm the console graphics are downgraded**** Modelah is in Japan. so is Reno, but he spends more time on SRK.

I'm sorry it's true. Blame it on Microsoft and their A-hole 4gb size limits on download only titles. Now that Xbox One is in the shitter maybye they will reverse that policy like they did with DrM and , well, everything (including mandatory Kinect, lol). The textures on Console FS are of lower fidelity. The color palette is more limited. The game lacks the ambient light sourcing of its arcade counterpart.
    Even the bonus tracks are compressed . I have set the audio to VF3 soundtrack on FS. I then listened to the soundtrack as I played VF3 TB on my Dreamcast . The redbook audio on the Dreamcast version sounds worlds better than the compressed audio on the console FS. As for the laughably scratchy grainy sounding announcer on FS console , you said "that's by design"! Lol , are you high? Let's get Modelah to confirm that too. Supposed in Devdan's deluded mind the grainy sounding announcer was an artistic choice. You just joined here in 2010. You don't know much.

18. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    Ok, so, you're sort of taking this lying thing to a new level. I've played the arcade version a bunch, I said I never played them at THE EXACT SAME TIME, as in I'm sitting in the arcade playing it, and have my PS3 with me and I'm playing that too. You probably knew what I meant, but you're just lying again, hoping people who didn't read my post will read yours and think you're reporting correct information, and they'll just assume I'm the idiot.

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but generally the home version of a game never looks EXACTLY 100% THE SAME as the arcade version. I can not claim that FS looks EXACTLY 100% THE SAME as the arcade version, but if it's different it isn't noticeable, and I say this as someone who played the arcade version fairly regularly for like 6 months. In most arcades in Tokyo you can barely freaking hear the audio, or it's too loud, so maybe I'm wrong about the sound being 'fine', but I sure never had any issues with it. Even the 360 and PS3 versions don't look EXACTLY 100% THE SAME as one another, but they're close enough that you people are obviously just bringing up the issue to be petty. I still don't see you backing your claim up in any way.

Oh, and citing my join date as a reason that I'm not qualified to talk about this? Really? Is this gamefaqs, circa 2003? You people clearly just really hate FS, and will say anything you can to make it look bad, because...I guess you hate VF as a whole? If FS dies (and they don't make a VF6), VF dies. It's as simple as that. I'm sorry, but there's not going to be a VF4:EVO revolution. It just isn't going to happen, and it's confusing that anyone so cynical could simultaneously be so optimistic about something so unlikely.

19. ICHIBANin10000

ICHIBANin10000 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah ? You were in Japan? Really? I didn't know Special Ed had an exchange student program! Next you're going to say you placed top three in the Japanese tournaments. And you're calling me a liar? You're on ignore, dude. Get Modelah in here to to confirm for this kid that the console version is downgraded graphically. The main game is only a 2gb download, dude. How dense do you have to be to not see compromises had to be made. I would say check Digital Foundry, but I doubt they bothered doing a FS graphical analysis.

20. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Modelo ain't gonna confirm shit, he fears JP arcades... smoke destroys him!

ShinyBrentford and IcKY99 like this.