1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What fight stick do you find is the best for Virtua fighter

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by kiko17, Apr 11, 2016.

1. kiko17

kiko17 Member

I am looking to get a new fight stick and I want peoples opinion on what model has worked best for them. Ideally, i'm looking for one I wouldn't have to mod.

2. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

hitbox /closethread

SUGATA likes this.
  3. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

I'm using Qanba Q4Raf and I'm happy with it. The placement of the start button is small issue as I place my buttons on the right side and start is right next to them but I've pressed it like once in the years I've had it (and you can just cover it if need be).

I wouldn't suggest HRAP3 (PS3 only anyway), since it has second rate parts.

Madcatz TE is a good choice too.

4. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Honestly, Korean stick has been so much fun for me. After getting used to it, I find it a lot easier to do the inputs. But really, just do what's easy for you. If pad is easiest for you, you can even stick to that

5. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

If you mean the circular gate that's common in Korean sticks, there's nothing preventing you from just ordering one for a couple of bucks and changing the usual rectangular one for it.

6. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I had (have) Qanba Q4 and I am NOT happy with it. In approximately 6 months or less it developed a weird problem involving involuntary direction inputs between [4] and [2] directions, making accurate [1] direction next to impossible. I opened the stick but could not find any cause for it. It is still broken and I let it be since I own multiple sticks to play with. However, I do not recommend Qanba for anyone.

I would personally go for Hori real arcade pro of some sort or Madcatz tournament edition sticks. Those have served well. On PS3 I use an archaic virtua stick high grade which still feels brand new after all these years and millions of inputs..

7. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

I had the same, probably from the same factory set. The problem is the microswitch. I replaced the stick and it's functioned just fine ever since.

8. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

The main difference is that the korean stick returns to neutral input faster than japanese stick. I think it has to do with the Kstick using rubber instead of a spring.

9. kiko17

kiko17 Member

Im curious about the hitbox, was it easier using that than the stick?

10. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

I'd say that is a personal opinion. If you've ever tried playing a fighting game with a keyboard I'd imagine the feeling is somewhat similar, both being all buttons.

11. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    In my experience hitbox users tend to be more vulnerable to staggers mid match. I've seen some great stagger breaks in training mode on them, but it tends to require a hand adjustment which isn't happening when it's a surprise.

They should be more accurate and faster in theory but in practice it's always down to the user.

12. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    As someone who plays 2D fighters with a keyboard, for it's similarity I could not imagine using a Hitbox for VF or any other 3D fighter in my life, but perhaps someone who has can elaborate.

Qanba is a asian "cheapie" stick manufacturer, eg. defects can and will happen.

Korean stick is only good for like Tekken and Mishimas, otherwise it'll just drive you crazy if you're used to japanese.

13. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

I've always been interested in Korean sticks. Some of the Tekken players really like them and it's been mentioned many time it helps with using the Mishimas among other things. Might be good for VF. Not sure I'd want to risk buying one if it's difficult to adapt to and not suited to other games though.

What about some of the other premium non Sanwa options like the Hori Hayabusa, Semitsu etc. Also were Happ ever supposed to be any good?

14. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

15. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Hori is usually cheap garbo and I should know as I had their FC3 and that thing broke in like 4 months.

16. ShinjukuATM

ShinjukuATM Well-Known Member

hori rap4 is fine. hayabusa stick and kuro buttons are stable. i cant recommend the cheaper hori stuff. that hori ex2 vf5 was garbage

17. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

I had one of those and after a few months some of the buttons stopped working. Once Hori introduced premium and standard sticks their standard Hori part sticks went downhill. Prior to that (SC2 stick, Namco stick etc) they were ok. The Hayabusa sticks they sell are more in their premium range.

18. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Lets be frank: same applies to Madcatz. As long as these manufacturers produce premium sticks in ADDITION to their cheap garbage, I'm ok with them.

I have had few Hori real arcade pros down the years (not HRAP4 though), and I think they were about medium level of quality. The buttons iirc had to be replaced into proper ones.

19. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

I seem to remember the first HRAPs being Sanwa sticks with Hori buttons.

20. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I believe you are correct.