1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What to do when opponent is knocked down?

Discussion in 'Pai' started by Duckguin, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Duckguin

Duckguin Active Member

So I've been noticing that my game seems to lose momentum whenever I knock someone down. Usually I'll back away, do a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif a few times (mostly for show), or try to time a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif to Bokutai, but there's gotta be a better way to deal with an opponent that is recovering from a knock down. I haven't run across many other Pai players online, but the ones I *have* run across usually just kind of back away and let me get back up.

So what's the best way to approach that sort of situation? It's gotta be one of those things that other people find really simple, because I don't see anyone talking about it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

2. Duckguin

Duckguin Active Member

Yeah, okay so I'm probably way over-thinking this one. Had a few matches last night and as long as I didn't make a big deal out of "OMG what do I do now that they're down?" it didn't kill any momentum.

Bah! Self-imposed mind games are lame. But if anyone's got any input I'd still be happy to read it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

3. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    Here are a few things that can work and I too play Pai pretty good too

Backing off can work and is the best option but here are a few others as well

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - this can be used to leap over low recovery kicks and the second kick can follow it easily if the first one connects cleanly

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif- This move is very slow but if you start doing the move immediately you knock them down and they do a low recovery kick it will jump over the low kick and pop the enemy up everytime so you can juggle them.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif- If you back up to evade to a high recovery kick and do this move quickly enough you might get them enemy before they recover all the way, the recovery kick does have a lag to it and can be countered immediately if it misses either way if it is low or high.

4. Duckguin

Duckguin Active Member

Much appreciated. I haven't been able to get the timing right for the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, but it did get me to thinking. And as always, more dojo!

5. DubC

DubC Well-Known Member

Down punch is always nice, to show them that you will always take your guaranteed damage if they don't tech roll.

6. leaveit2me

leaveit2me Active Member

can OM be used to counter rising attacks?

7. 124

124 Well-Known Member

I do a Charge.