1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Win Streak - My first coding project dedicated to VFDC & VF5FS

Discussion in 'General' started by Rodnutz, Jul 29, 2015.

?

Will you use Win Streak?

1. Yes I will use it.

2. Maybe... When it gets better?

3. No I don't plan to use it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ellis

Ellis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ellis_Cake
    Good idea and nice project Rodnutz!

My first thought where also to have some sort of universal database where it would put up win/loss rate stats for each unique player, aswell as player X vs X in total on a website (either by an SQL database or a hackish plaintext system if SQL feels clunky)

But i also think your reasoning is true - to have that mean anything there would have be either;

A - Total honesty between players using the application pushing the WIN for an actual win
    (probably not happening in some cases no)

B - Some advanced system to match up and check stats that are sent
    (Which is kind of overly much work to set up for such a thing)

As i do not own a smartphone as of know, i haven't been able to try the application,
    but still as i am in the "do small good tools to do one thing well"-school i think your idea seems sound!

Keep up the good work for the community man! :)

Rodnutz likes this.
  2. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    I tried learning a bit of SQL yesterday and didn't make any progress. Shit seems difficult at my currently level. However I am more of a visual learner so I'll have to watch tons of videos or see if I can find someone here in NYC to show me the ropes.

With that said while I was trying to setup a database (which I did) one thing kept coming to mind. And that is that setting up a database seemed pointless. Why? Again I feel it would not work because there are way to many dishonesty variables. And putting an intensive system in place to cross check information is way out of the scope of what I am trying to do nor do I really care to take it that far. I only created this as a means to learn and there definitely will come a point where I will have to abandon it (once it's polished of course) and move on to something far greater. The reason I picked this is because I knew I would be passionate about it since I care so much about VF and it's community. I needed a foundation that wouldn't allow me to quit. Even now I am working on the next update and woke up this morning fired up because I finally understand some of the terminology that's always loosely through around in the world of HTML.

So in the end the a database system may be implemented but I don't think I will use it like how everyone expects it to be. At best I could probably create a profile system that would display maybe a player's username, last 10 sessions, the game they played, highest streak and what county they are from.

Ellis likes this.
  3. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Pretty decent update I think. Hope everyone likes the resign and what I've done so far.

Also would like to give a huge thank you to @noname who has been providing me so a lot of guidance and great ideas to eliminate redundancy in the code I'm writing. If you guys appreciate this update then please tag him in your response and give all the credit to him for helping me get this far.

I'm not sure when the next update will be but it will include FT-5,7,10,etc.

Again sorry for the large images. I'm doing all of this from a Chromebook and not sure how to edit images. Plus honestly I'm to lazy to look it up so my bad lol

[​IMG]

4. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    if something is broken on someone's device can you please post a screen shot and let me know the name of your device.

thanks

5. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

If it had a database that kept records of your wins and losses vs a player, versus a character and the combination of the two with each of my own character then I would definitely use this.
    Also, good work and I hope this keeps expanding!

Elite likes this.
  6. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Completely agreeing with @Combolammas

If it will create some local (my phone is good enough) database with history and stats to be able to see my record
    * vs specific player
    * with specific character I use
    * vs specific character opponent used it will be awesome and I will definitely use this.
    ideally I will love to see combination of both "character used" things above - with "anyone" and then character names to chose from on both sides (aka: I used anyone/Akira/Eileen... vs opponent used anyone/Akira/Eileen). Like this, user will be able to access his both detailed and general statistics easily.

If user will be able to create his own list of characters, it will make this app useful for other, non-VF games as well and I can easily imagine it can become popular among FG gamers easily then

PS: Hope my explanation of "how I will like to have it working" makes any sense :)

7. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Updated!

You can find the changes in the original post or on site's news page. Hope you guys like it

Gonna take a small break, but will be researching how to implement a database or at least use the localstorage API as suggested by @noname . Thanks again bro for all the help you have provided.

MakiLeSushi, oneida, Craigbot and 2 others like this.
  8. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

omg so good!

Rodnutz likes this.
  9. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    Great job!!!

Rodnutz likes this.
  10. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Any designers interested in helping me improve Win Streak by creating a background page for me? I have a new design concept for it's UI but sadly I can't even draw stick figures :( I may take a go at it regardless, but some help would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone is interested feel free to PM me so I can share my idea.

Thanks

11. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    It's not much but finally made some progress to add a local database. Many thanks to @noname and @KoD.

[​IMG]

Honestly I was getting very discouraged about adding this feature because I just couldn't figure out how to do it. @noname was kind enough to share some code with me showing me how it can be done, but I didn't want to just copy his code so I could add the feature. I wouldn't have learned anything that way. Since I couldn't get it I decided to take a break but I didn't expect it to be for so long.

Luckily @KoD hit me up and gave me some advice along with a tutorial that seemed to help and now my fire has been reignited. There's still many things I don't quite understand yet, but I'm hoping I can have this all setup before the weekend is over.

The way it's going to work is there will be a " Save Results " button added to the main page. Any sessions you decide to save will automatically be displayed on a separate page I'm calling " Stats " for now. I'll probably cap the list at about 20 sessions.

oneida, Craigbot, Kruza and 1 other person like this.
  12. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Keep up the good work man, excited to see your progress.

13. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

This is awesome. I used this the other day when I did a FT5 and it was so nice! Great features and so easy to use. Lovely @Rodnutz

14. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    [​IMG]

So close but god damn it this shit is soooooooo frustrating. #beginner :D

oneida and noname like this.
  15. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    LOCAL DATABASE IS 90% COMPLETE! ACTUALLY IT'S 100% BUT I GOT SOME MINOR FINE TUNING TO DO BEFORE I RELEASE IT!

Huge thanks to @noname for the assist! It's now 10:27PM! Would you guys believe me if I told you I had been working on this since 9:30AM with just only 2 breaks for food? All day I was getting KO'ed by 8 lines of code.... man fuck my life lol!

Another huge thanks to @KoD for making me realize I seriously need to get better at working with arrays. I've read so much about how useful they are and I look at them like " yeah right! ". Well hahaha the jokes on me! So yeah gonna practice that.

Anyway I'll let you guys know when it's live. Gonna take a break after I patch up some CSS stuff.

Night!

Combolammas and Kruza like this.
  16. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

WHOA KOD!?!?

Rodnutz likes this.
  17. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Check out the original post for the update.

If you guys like the new additional please do me a favor and provide feedback. I appreciate the likes, but I'd rather hear your thoughts. Learning how to code on your own without classes or a mentor is highly frustrating and I don't think I can stress this enough. It's a very easy to just want to quit without a good reason. I'm doing my best to keep that thought out of my head and not even consider it an option. With that said your words do count whether good or bad. Preferably good constructive criticism.

If you are still playing then please try to use the app. I think at it's current level it can be very useful to everyone. Also I'd like to reach more users outside of the VF community so if you own a twitter account please tweet it out or suggest it to other people who you know play games. It doesn't necessarily have to be a fighting game because I did my best to make this usable for any 1 on 1 game. Could it be useful for multiplayer games? I have no idea which is why your comments and suggestion really, really help.

Lastly, @noname & @KoD. I cannot stress enough how grateful I am for the assistance you have provided me with getting the database up and running. Your kind gesture reminded me why this community is the best and why it was very easy for me to walk away from SF, MK, Tekken and SNK communities. I used to play all those games in my younger days. Our community is incredibly small and not popular it is without a doubt the most mature and kind hearted community. I love all of you guys. Even the shout box trolls! :p

Thanks,
    -Rod

jimi Claymore and Kruza like this.
  18. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Hahaha @Sudden_Death ... my hair isn't quite as grey as Obi-Wan, but I'm getting there.

Rod, nice progress. My suggestion would be rather than having a save button, save the stats automatically after every win (or maybe once a first to whatever set is over)

19. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Yes I was thinking the same thing to avoid spamming the list with unnecessary saves. Perhaps every time a FT is completed as well as each time a new name is entered in either fields or maybe just 2p side?

20. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Did some testing and I will definitely automate the saving. I just gotta figure out how to make it not save when values like total games played etc are at zeros.