1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Working out a Story Mode

Discussion in 'General' started by aoi ameindei, Aug 20, 2013.

1. aoi ameindei

aoi ameindei Well-Known Member

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    I think after reading Modela’s recent threads we can all agree
    vf needs a story mode!!!
    But how would it work?

Now members of Vfdc I will ask but 3 questions and would love to hear your opinions
    Question # 1 what format should it be
    ·
    should it follow one character (Akira?)
    ·Should every character have their own story like blaz blue?
    ·Should it go mortal kombat style?
    ·Should it integrate the story into arcade mode?
    ·Or something else entirely

Question # 2 how should we flesh out certain characters

If you are wonder what I’m asking I will explain
    Some characters have good stories that would make amazing story modes (Pai Kage Lau Lei)
    But some have really bad ones (el blaze Eileen Jeff Akira)
    So here is a list of characters who could use a story tweak

Akira: why does he train so hard

El blaze: ok his is just bad

Eileen: needs more plot

Aoi: she has no purpose

Brad: same problem as Aoi but worse (at least she was the main characters friend)

Goh: his is great but why is he sadistic

Jeffery: do you need to ask

And lastly

Question # 3 is there anything you would ad and where should the story go from here

2. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    Oh my god! You spelt "Mortal Kombat" wrong!!! :p

I miss the Tekken style of arcade mode which had a nice CGI cut scene when you finished it that told a little bit about the story. Some of them were really cool:

Maybe a nice cut scene at the start, middle and end would do the trick. It's always nice to see the characters rendered nicely in a non-combat situation doing their thing to give them background.

Though maybe a Soul Calibur style mode where you travel around and do different matches with different win conditions to a story would be great also. I think that also works for new players because just fighting the CPU on arcade can be boring if you are not ready to go online yet. I think it was called Edge Master mode or something...

3. aoi ameindei

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    i will never sleep again

4. SNAKE BOSS

SNAKE BOSS Well-Known Member

Story in quest mode for every character but story in vf is not really needed when it describes it in the manuels, just read it.

5. aoi ameindei

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    yeah but a story is fun , entertaining and draws in more players

6. SNAKE BOSS

SNAKE BOSS Well-Known Member

Oh hey Insta bolt I just seen ur psn id, you are in my friends list buddy, I am BlackBeltSpartan.

7. aoi ameindei

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    i know

8. no_w_h_ere

no_w_h_ere Well-Known Member

XBL:
    nowhere0
    This is not a fanfiction, but wishes for a story mode in the next VF game so it has to be one story for each character.
    I don't think the story should be separated from arcade mode ( or else arcade mode should offer another feature like winning personalizing items).

For a story to be interesting is different for every one ( I guess some people might prefer Jeffry 's shark hunting than Goh's J6 background ...(not me ^^, he is violent because he was raised like that, and we like him like that ^^)).

The general story revolves around J6 and project Dural :
    You can invent the story by asking some questions like:
    What happened at the 5th tournament ? Did Lion recognised and contacted Jean ? Was the insider Goh who helped Vanessa escape ? etc...

IcKY99 and erdraug like this.
  9. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    Vanessa escaped alone by kicking the asses of all J6 =P
    More seriously, i would like a story mode too... Something to take you out of the game routine... The kumite was good vf4 or vf4e but became boring with the time. I don t ask something very sofistcate, some scene of the story btw battles =)

10. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Now the mental image of GohxVanessa won't go away and I hate you.

Or love you for it. Can't decide which. I need zero-chan's feedback on this.

11. no_w_h_ere

no_w_h_ere Well-Known Member

XBL:
    nowhere0
    Haha ^^ I was thinking of a more selfish motivation for Goh and not really a love story, but why not ^^

12. DigitlSamurai

DigitlSamurai Well-Known Member

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    I think each character should have their own story mode, like in BlazBlue, but with Mortal Kombat/Injustice style cutscenes. Quest mode should remain separate from story mode. Also you spelled BlazBlue wrong.

13. aoi ameindei

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    i just thought of a reason for why akira trains so much\
    since aoi and akiras dad both owned a dojo
    eventually they would ask aoi and akira to fight
    since akira was a lazy teen aoi totally destroyed him making him the laughing stock of his school so he trais for redemtion

14. aoi ameindei

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    its the auto correct i swear

15. aoi ameindei

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    lei and lau should have cool fight scene

16. Star Outlaw

Star Outlaw Active Member

PSN:
    Star_Outlaw
    XBL:
    Star Outlaw
    Hey, newbie here. I've actually been thinking about this sort of thing.

I believe a mode like Mortal Kombat's could work. I think the story should focus on those who are involved with J6, like Jacky, Sarah, and Vanessa. Dural, Goh and Jean would serve as antagonists. Kage, Lion, and maybe even Jeffry and Shun could turn up as well, since they have ties to J6 as well.

A side story could focus on Pai, Lau, Eileen and Lei Fei, another on Akira, Aoi, and Brad, etc. with those chapters maybe intertwining with the main story.

As for what the story will be, I don't know, that's up to the developers. That said, I kind of would like possibly a retelling of the series, like what MK9 did, while possibly making some changes. For instance, it could tell the story of Sarah's brainwashing, but include Vanessa as her bodyguard from the get go, and then have both her and Jacky team up to rescue Sarah and fight Goh and Jean, with help from Lion and Kage. I also wouldn't mind if they took some things from the anime, such as Eva Durix. I rather like the anime and what it made with what little plot the first two games had.

17. aoi ameindei

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    eva was the best thing in the anime she should get a side story aswell
    likehow blazblue gave kokonoe and the academy girls a story even though they were unplayable
    so it would be cool for eva even if she unplayable ( for now )
    aslo liu kowloon could be there just so j6 can have an established leader ( otherwise eva could do it )
    thx for reviving this thread i worked hard on it so i didnt want it to die

18. Star Outlaw

PSN:
    Star_Outlaw
    XBL:
    Star Outlaw
    I think Eva could be one of the six, specifically "The Devil" who is supposed to have created Dural, and the title certainly fits her. If Liu is in it too, I guess he could be the one in charge of it all, but I think a position a little further down for him would be more fitting.

I really do think that any future story mode for VF needs some kind of intro to cover the past games, just to let the audience know what exactly is going on. Not that the plot of this series is confusing, far from it, but so far everything has been glossed over so much that I think the backstory really needs some fleshing out before trying to do a real story mode.

Now, if I were to do a story mode that covers the whole series, in a broad sense, I would start out with Jacky's accident and recovery. While Jacky is recovering, his parents assign him and Sarah a bodyguard, Vanessa, because they suspect someone is targeting them, and they are right. What the games never really explain is why J6 is targeting the Bryants, or why they put Jacky in the hospital in the first place. I propose that Jacky's parents' company has been secretly fighting against J6 in some way, and J6 is trying to get the Bryants to back off by threatening Jacky.

While Jacky recovers, Sarah and Vanessa begin investigating the accident and figure out it was a sabotage, possibly encountering some of J6's thugs and defeating them. Eva notices Sarah's fighting potential, and like in the anime she kidnaps her to use as he latest test subject. She sends Goh and Jean to Capture Sarah, and a fight ensures. Jacky tries to fight, but he still hasn't fully recovered, and Sarah is taken.

It's possible that Eva could also hire Kage to capture Sarah like in the anime, but if we're going to keep to his game canon story, that's not likely to happen, since J6 kidnapped his mom and destroyed his home. It's possible that J6 could assume that Kage doesn't know it was them who kidnapped his mom, but Kage actually does know. Another possibility is adding Onimaru to the game and having Onimaru added to the game, using the same move set as Kage, and he can help in kidnapping Sarah.

Whatever the case, Kage is trying to infiltrate J6 so he can rescue his mother, who is the current Dural, and so he helps Jacky and Vanessa when they go to rescue Sarah. At some point, Jacky is attacked on the highway by a brainwashed Sarah, and left with a message telling him to enter the World Fighting Tournament. With this as their only lead, Jacky, Vanessa, and Kage join.

The story then shifts to Pai and Lau. We get a flashback to the death of Pai's mother, and he resentment of Lau for not being there for her, before flashing back to present day. Lau and Shun have a quick sparring match before having tea together, and discuss choosing successors since they are both growing old. Shun knows that J6 hs kidnapped one of his students, and tells Lau he intends to join the tournament to find him. Lau considers joining the tournament to find his own successor, since he knows he's suffering from a terminal illness. Pai, now a famous movie star, joins the tournament partly to get revenge of Lau by beating, and to prove her strength to him.

One more shift, and this time it's to Akira and Aoi. The two of them have a sparring match, and Aoi notices that something is bothering Akira. He tells her about the talk he hd with his grandfather, how he told him he still doesn't know what true strength is, despite having previously won a major tournament. May or may not mention the 8 Stars like in the anime. Akira and Aoi both receive invitations to the tournament, and Akira decides he will test his strength there.

From there the tournament arc begins and we begin meeting more of the fighters, such as Lion, who is trying to find the link between his father's company and J6, and Jeffry, who wants to win so he can keep from losing his family's island to Rafale, much like in the anime, causing some tension between him and Lion. Brad hits on Aoi, and a rivalry starts between them, and possibly a love triangle if Akira likes Aoi too.

Lion recognizes Jean and tries to reconnect with him, but Jean is completely cold and uncaring, and Lion wonders what happened to him. Lion inadvertently makes himself Jean's target in the tournament. Wolf is there because of the dream he had, and also to find a worthy opponent, which he finds in El Blaze, who is out to prove himself. Eileen manages to sneak into the tournament so she can meet Pai. Lei Fei is there to kill Lau.

The tournament commences. Jacky has a rematch with Goh and wins. Pai defeats Eileen, who is grateful just to have been able to fight her idol. Pai loses to Lau, but then Lau loses to Lei Fei. Lau offers Lei Fei the chance to be his disciple, but he instead decides to just kill Lau. Pai intervenes and saves Lau, and they both reconcile.

Lion loses to Jean, but is saved from being killed by Vanessa, who later defeats Jean in a proper match. Aoi defeats Taka Arashi, but is then defeated by Brad. Wolf ends up defeating El Blaze. Jeffry ends up being eliminated, but is promised by Jacky and Lion that they'll help him once the tournament is over.

Eventually, it gets down to the final few matches. Akira loses to Kage. Jacky fights a brainwashed Sarah and snaps her out of it. Kage's next mtch is interrupted when Dural shows up, and we discover that Dural is his mother. Kage manages to defeat Dural. The tournament begins to fall apart as J6 tries to round up all the fighters left and imprison them. Eva then takes an interest in Vanessa, who we learn would kidnapped and nearly turned into an assassin like Goh and Jean before being saved.

From here I can't really think of a good way to end things, other than the good guys fighting their way out and rescuing Vanessa from getting brainwashed. There's one last final fight, and the facility self destructs. However, J6 is already developing V-Dural, based on data taken from Vanessa.

19. aoi ameindei

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    wow youvve basicly out lined the entire story but u got a few things wrong
    1 lau beats lei and gets the illness after which is why lei can beat him later
    2 the vannesa time line is worng but i dont blame u cuz according to the manuels of vf4 and vf5 there are either 2 vannessas or 2 dimentions
    3 eva cannot hire kage because they vf4 manuel state kage saw the killer(eva?)
    but onimaru would be cool two surrvivors
    also jeff should have a better motive
    eileen and el blaze need an overhaul completly and should eva get a storey

20. Star Outlaw

PSN:
    Star_Outlaw
    XBL:
    Star Outlaw
    Well, I did take some liberties. This is basically all the games rolled into one story. When I was making it up in my head, I guess I imagined it more as a film, where you wouldn't be able to properly flesh out every single character's plot. But yes, since this is a game, that can be done. I wanted to do it all in one go, which is why Lau has the illness from the get go. And I just really want Pai to beat Lei Fei and prove herself.

Could you explain what you mean about Vanessa? This is the first time I've heard about there being two of her. What I know is she was captured and trained by J6, then rescued by Lewis, who was then killed on Vanessa's 20th birthday. She investigates the murder, discovers J6 is targeting Sarah, and becomes Sarah's bodyguard. During the Fourth Tournament Vanessa is captured, and becomes the basis for V-Dural. She escapes thanks to a double agent, but can't remember what happened in that time.

Yes, I don't think Kage being hired by J6 will work out. It only worked in the anime because they cut out that part of his story. I do believe adding in Onimaru as a traitor to the Hagekura would actually help a lot.

And yeah, Jeffry probably needs better motive, but his motive in the games (hunting the Satan Shark) honestly doesn't seem that engaging. I thought his story in the anime was a lot better. Maybe his family is being held hostage like in the second season?

Eileen and El Blaze don't give me much to work with either, and for the time being I think they can work as side characters. The same kind of applies to Brad and Taka. Some characters are just there to fight. Not that they can't be interesting, but it can be difficult and tricky to try and flesh them out too much. Really, the thing that makes Brad interesting is is rivalry with Aoi. Even Akira's story is kind of bland when you get down to it.

I think MK9 and Injustice have good story modes because they don't try and make you play as every single character, just the ones that are important or fit. I've only played a little BlazBlue, so I can't really judge that game's story modes, but I don't necessarily think that playing a story for every single character with branching paths no less is the right way to go. I think arcade endings in addition to a proper story mode would suffice.