1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Year 3 (Season 3) plans and discussions

Discussion in 'VF Circuit' started by akai, Nov 24, 2013.

1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I have one year left in me to run the VF Circuit. Please provide feedback on what you would like for the next year.

Things are in the works for season 3 which will start in January and I will have events planned for the entire year. Likely will have individual events go biweekly for each league (twice a month Saturday/Sunday or every week on Sunday scheduling). Anything related to team events will be left out, unfortunately, unless we get more people to actively participate.

Right now, year 3 will be partitioned:

1. January to March Qualifiers for the April Championship
    2. May to July Qualifiers for the August Championship
    3. September to November Qualifiers for the December Championship

Dates will be tentatively scheduled before season 3 begins and the points/ranking ladder will be used.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    Craigbot likes this.
  2. Tocuh

Tocuh Well-Known Member

Unsure how/when I can participate, but count me in ;)

3. DigitlSamurai

DigitlSamurai Well-Known Member

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    I'm interested in a third season, but I'm concerned that with the PS4 and XB1 out now Sony/Microsoft might shut down the VF5FS servers before the end of next year. If there is a season 3 though I'm definitely in.

4. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Well that is not in our control whether Sony/Microsoft shuts it down so enjoy VF5FS online as we can as long as we have it :). And yes there definitely will be a season 3.

I will be posting how the points in the ranking ladder works and the season more in the upcoming days. Suggestions and feedback for making it fun and fair and keep people motivated/interested in getting together would be great.

5. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    Well, I'll have to defend my title again, so I'm interested (OH SNAP).

I'd like to use room matches again (Just make it 360 only if PSN is too shitty), otherwise it's too anonymous and result-orientated for me. I liked the first season cos it was quite casual and most people playing seemed to be involved cos you'd see each other play.

And I wouldn't worry about 360 servers going down for at least a couple of years.

Craigbot and Pai~Chun like this.
  6. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I agree the room mode from season 1 worked well on the 360. I think I will leave that to the participants to decide. Especially when we don't have more than 8 people, people that want to do everything in room mode is more than welcome to.

- From this season, one thing I liked about not using the room mode though is that the actual tournament portion runs a lot faster. But as mentioned by you, people get to watch each other play in room mode and talk to each other. The shoutbox somewhat served that purpose in Season 2 (the talking), but it is not the same. The idea of saving replays and uploading failed!

- The tournament/event is mostly to get people to gather together at a certain time. The idea like offline tournaments - people gathered to play in the tournament, but the best parts for everyone is usually the matches outside the tournament itself (in my opinion).

===

Schedule Format for Next Year -
    Rough idea how the schedule will be for next year (I will make a calendar to map out the whole year with tentative dates).

For the 9 Qualifier Months
    Sunday Evening of Week 1 - PSN League - Round Robin to Single Elimination
    Sunday Evening of Week 2 - XBL League - Round Robin to Single Elimination
    Sunday Evening of Week 3 - PSN League - Double Elimination Format
    Sunday Evening of Week 4 - XBL League - Double Elimination Format

We can always add unique events or other people organized events into the VF Circuit. As mentioned in the past, I would really like to make this into an umbrella program that can accommodate more people (if there are more people!)

Schedule Format for Next Year -
    Next post I will go into how the ranking ladder will work within the VF Circuit next season. Trying to find right balance for rewarding people that participate actively and for those limited with time. As of right now, tinkering with how much points are given and how it is calculated into determining one "score" (which is different from your "total points")

7. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    I was thinking about something that may get more people to participate:
    Maybe all the matches of a tourney can occur not during one particular day, but let's say, extended to a whole week or more ? Since it's online, we are not compelled to monopolize a day to play.
    Because some people can't play the week end ( saturday or sunday ) but are more often online the week.
    So we let the participants shedule their match though PM or shoutbox, then enter their results, then next etc.. though a week.
    I believe it may be a little tricky to run the whole thing ( like the Team Tourney ), but maybe more players would be more available to play if they can choose a particular day to play their set.

phanatik, Unicorn and Tocuh like this.
  8. DigitlSamurai

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    I was thinking, would it be possible if 1st place wasn't the only one to qualify for the championship tournament? Maybe the top 2, or, if there are enough players, the top 3? That way, the 2nd place player won't get so far and have nothing to show for it, plus the championship tournament would be bigger. Maybe just seed the tourneys so the 1st place qualifier gets a better matchup?

Also, I like the idea of going back to using room match; I think things ran more smoothly that way.

9. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    We can always try something like that. Maybe when it is 1 person meeting up with 1 other person it will be easier to schedule. I still think having people meet up at a single time is still better though.

DigitlSamurai - its mainly an issue of how many people are participating in the events. If there is a lot more people participating then we can always increased the number of participants.

10. Bloodstyle

Bloodstyle Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bloodstyle
    So I started looking at this a moment ago. ( Def game for a 3rd season btw!) And I see some valid points all around. Loved the first season because of the room format. Felt like old school arcade to me. Everyone watching, Bs'n, taking notes, making new friends. Simply put, more Lively! But I also agree that season 2's format ran a HELL of a lot faster.

And even though 2 of my boys made it to the finals this year, I still didnt like the All or Nothing of the qualifiers. I must say I liked the set up, just wish it woulda been the top 2 players for each event. Woulda doubled the turn out from 4 (3) - 8 (woulda been more than 3 lol ) for the finals.

The week long event thing though... naw. Tried that w/ the Team stuff this year, couldnt even play my team match cuz the other team didnt show up... EVER. I know we are all supposed to be adults, and treat each other accordingly but fuck that. Gamers need a Time and Place, cant trust them to figure this shit out on they own. Its what we (YOU) are here to tell them for :D. I've honestly found people respond better to a set time than left to their own devices. Just my 2 cents o_O

11. Bloodstyle

Bloodstyle Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bloodstyle
    "We can always add unique events or other people organized events into the VF Circuit. As mentioned in the past, I would really like to make this into an umbrella program that can accommodate more people (if there are more people!)"

I would on the other hand like to hear some more about this and its possible implications :p

12. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Sorry for the late replies, but the last finals have been finished for year 2. So I will be starting up year 3 stuff soon. Because we have lost January, I'm going to try something different based on a suggestion made by Kingo.

13. DigitlSamurai

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    What happened to this exactly? I know it was cancelled.

14. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Lots of little things pile together, the time and commitment needed to make it work was too much. Sorry.