1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Akira: Ask a Question, Get an Answer

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Feck, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

I disagree with this, [6][6][P] is a decent move in it's own right and has quite a lote of uses. I don't see how you could ever choose one move or the other, different tools really.

BlackGeneral and Rodnutz like this.
  2. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal

I disagree completely. That 2 frames is a BIG thing in VF. DE is a poke, and used to set up stuff, SDE is a launcher that can no longer be used willy-nilly like it could before. There is a large difference between a 13 frame mid and a 15 frame mid launcher. P->SDE is no longer a blockstring.

No. 3P is a move aimed at input-challenged people. Unless someone has a sabaki that parries elbows but not mid punches, but I don't remember such. Usually its the other way around.

Sozos likes this.
  3. ZBEP

ZBEP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZBEP
    For sure it is, and that's what i'm talking about - if you have enough frame advantage, you can do SDE without thinking about risk-reward. It no longer puts you in nitaku on block, so it's definately safer. 15 frame startup is an obvious nerf, without it that would be too cheap.

4. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

I have a question about Akira [K] + [G]

Its a 16 frames mid kick, but it seems to lauch the opponent. with akira's new move [2] [K] + [G], [P], it seems to refloat the opponent for a combo.

The same for [6] [K], it seems to float opponents.

My question is, aside for shorter range, it seems to be better than knee? am I missing something here?

5. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I see 2 statements, but no question. What are you asking? What the uses are?

6. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

Marly, my question is: am i missing something here?

If its really the case that a 16 frames mid kick is a floater, why anybody would use yoho or knee? I am sure there must something to this.

7. Feck

It's not a launcher on normal or recovery hit so it's not ideal for punishment. I've been told it launches everyone up to heavyweights on CH but since he already has a strong CH launcher that executes at 15 - 16 frames then I don't see the point of K+GP.

EDIT: [6][K][P] is a decent launcher for punishment (the combo's differ from normal hit), same exe speed as KNEE so if you struggle with KNEE input it's a good substitute.

8. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    CH K+G_fullcharge_P bounds up to and including Akira, but can't be hitchecked I think.
    On recovery counter everything after K+G can be teched, so its not as good as knee.

9. jimi Claymore

jimi Claymore Well-Known Member

i Have a question about the Tetsuzankou ([4][6][6][P]+[K])
    There is any way to get a combo with it?
    Close to the wall, wallsplat or in some place of the ring or or it's just a move to punish or "try tour luck" to get a counter?

Thanks!!! ;)

10. Feck

You may be able to tag on an extra [2_][6][P][P] after a wallhit but I doubt there's room for much more, someone else here might know more.

It can be decent as a punisher against some of the heavier characters but i'd have to look into it to be more specific.

I know it has some situational uses against rising attacks :p

BlackGeneral and jimi Claymore like this.
  11. mfwebdude

mfwebdude Well-Known Member

PSN:
    x_Reikan_x
    hey jimi, i posted some wall combos a while back in the combo thread if you want to check it out (bottom of the page): http://virtuafighter.com/threads/combo-thread.15915/page-9

I never got around to testing on heavier characters. only other one i got to test was [4][6][6][P]+[K] > [2][K]+[G][P][P] > [2_][3][P]+[K]. I think it works on sarah, vanessa and lion.

jimi Claymore and Feck like this.
  12. jimi Claymore

thanks to Feck and mfwebdude for the help!!great advice, I'm amazed about the anti-rising kick atack!! (i hate that attack)
    I gonna practice this!!

13. jimi Claymore

hello again i have a question about The Teishitsu Dantai [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] (release [​IMG] within 1 frame) (and NOT is a question about how to perform it lol!)
    Usually I have trouble to land this move, most of the time my attack is guarded, or i get countered when i try to evade a string,

There is a specific situation to use this launcher?moderately know concepts like frames, advantage and disadvantage and yet still feel like a lot of luck.:mad:

Thanks again :)

14. BlackGeneral

BlackGeneral The Emperor of Elbows Bronze Supporter Content Manager Akira

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    Teishitsu Dantai is a 17fr NH launcher, which in my opinion, is PERFECT for punishing blocked lows(that are -17 and worse) and whiffed highs, due to the fact that you can enter this move while crouching. However, K+G!G does not float as high as its counterpart, Yoho (33P). So, the damage isn't as high.

I hope that answered your question.

Cozby and jimi Claymore like this.
  15. cruzlink2

cruzlink2 Well-Known Member

Finally someone see's the use of Knee as a punish. Got to practice your ass off in order to pull it off consistently though.

BlackGeneral likes this.
  16. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

There's something I don't get in the Wiki strategy section for Akira:

I don't get the point to use the moves in situations where they CAN be interrupted. Am i missing something ? o_O
    AFAIK Akira's semi ciruclars are supposed to be used from +7/+8 and more advantage (not +6/+7) which happens after DE CH so that everything clings together ^^.

17. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    Very true, his CH DE does set up his circs.

You raise a good point. However, I feel that AK's circulars are useful in nitaku situations when my opponent likes to evade. The most effective mixup is the SDE or throw, but I feel that landing one his circulars are beneficial to akira, because he can get great oki off of one, and great mixup options of off another.

SDE is, without a doubt, the best choice if you sense your opponent is going to abare.

Did I put +6/+7? I can't add :eek:. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    GodFistEmissary likes this.
  18. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Is it me or does Akira not have that high of regular combo damage? I see many other characters get over 100 damage without wall, but i cant find any Akira combos that do that.

BlackGeneral likes this.
  19. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    LOL I agree, but people aren't trying to hear that. His damage is above average though.

20. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I'd say his damage is top 5 for comparable most moves/situations ( i.e. 14f high/ 15 or 16f mid/17 or 18f NH launch/ punishes etc). He sure isn't a Jacky or Brad though. What Akira does do is convert into extra damage very well and keep pressure on very well. And he's usually very safe during all of that too.

BlackGeneral likes this.