1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Holding and controling the stick

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by Viper44, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Viper44

Viper44 Member

Is there an optimal way to hold and control the stick.

Are inputs made with the hand or fingers and thumbs.
    Should the fingers always be touching the stick.

Chanchai likes this.
  2. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I think it is mostly preference. My thumb and other fingers always remain touching the stick and ball (thumb, index, and middle finger).

There is an old thread that went through the way people have always held the stick. My suggestion, put the input display in training mode on. Try different ways of holding the stick and practice inputs from both 1P and 2P side. See which holding style gives you the cleanest inputs and comfort.

Chanchai and Viper44 like this.
  3. Viper44

Viper44 Member

Thanks.

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

It’s definitely up to preference but there are strengths and weaknesses to the grips combined with the hand size of the player.

I would say my hand size is probably average and I personally use a grip where I rest the shaft between my pinky and ring finger—a lot of general motions are controlled by my wrist and broad movement with my ring and index finger, but I use my thumb and sometimes index finger to fine tune my movement.

I believe some players like Dark Nova Void and Black Alert might have larger hands than me, but they both seem to completely control the stick by moving the ball with their index finger and thumb. They probably have more accuracy than me too.