1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Latest VF5FS Tier Lists

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 3, 2014.

By Myke on May 3, 2014 at 3:33 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Last month saw the release of a new Arcadia mook titled "Fighting Game REMIX" in which a number of fighting game titles are covered, including Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown. In this edition, the cover the latest tier list for VF5FS.

web_REMIX.jpg

Tier List
    As of 2014-04-18

SS: Akira
    S: Taka, Lion, Brad
    A: Jacky, Jean, Vanessa
    B: Goh, Shun, Wolf

(Large Gap)

C: Sarah, Kage, Lau
    D: El Blaze, Jeffry
    E: Aoi, Pai, Lei-Fei, Eileen

After four years is the "Final Answer" here?!
    Four years has elapsed with this game. With such a long time and so much strategy evolving, could this be the final ranking (?)

Points about some important characters
    There is a big gap between B and C rank. We will discuss some of the major points.

One of Akira's main points is his jumping ascending [K]. It whiffs lows, starts combos and defeats sabaki, and is a full circular that defeats evade. It is particularly powerful during sideturned with +6 where it is guaranteed on evadeCD, and at +9 on sideturned is guaranteed on evade.

For the characters in A rank compared to S rank there is not a large difference in their fighting abilities, but it is their basic abilities that attracts high praise. Amongst these is Taka, who was getting a lot of interest at the recent BT cup. While Taka can rely on throws and [4][P][+][K][P] against most characters, the opponent must concentrate on specific combos and untechable situations, focusing on the system side to fight Taka, so it is very difficult to have tactics against him. For people unfamiliar with Taka, he is more threatening than Akira.

Amongst A rank Jacky stands out. The reason that he has fallen in rank is that his options to overcome a guarding opponent are finite. His returns on throws are not that high, and when his high damage throws ([6]and [4]) are broken it leaves him sideturned. Choosing the right move to throw out is quite difficult, so while he may look like a simple character to play, the value in really dedicating yourself to him is difficult. Of course, against an opponent who lacks defensive skills he is S rank.

Amongst the lower ranks, Blaze and Sarah are well suited to tournaments, each with their attacking options from stances, and are fast so even against opponents adept at defence it can be tough. They are rarely used, and so they may be even more threatening than higher ranked characters if the opponent lacks match up experience. The other character who has ranked up is Jeffrey. His weight is high so damage inflicted is low, and his [P][+][K] and [1][K][+][G] one command moves are powerful.

Thanks to Unicorn for the tip, and noodalls for the translation!

Edit: Homestay Akira's Tier List
    Originally posted by Myke as a reply in this thread on Nov 23, 2016:

So here is Homestay's tier list:

S: Akira, Jacky
    A+: Goh, Lion, Taka
    A: Brad, Jean, Vanessa
    A-: Kage, Lau, Shun
    B: Aoi, Lei, Pai, Sarah
    C: Eileen, El Blaze, Jeffry, Wolf​

The only additional information provided was:
    1. Lion and Goh can be S rank if the player is really good.
    2. Taka is not considered S rank because while he is strong against some characters, he is still weak against others.

It sounded unlikely that we'll get a more fleshed-out explanation of why each character is where they are. If I do, I'll post it up, but don't hold your breath. Regardless of where your particular character lies on this, or the Arcadia, tier list I'm fairly certain there's a lot more work we can do to improve our own game.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Tricky, SUGATA, Pai~Chun and 5 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 3, 2014.

1. ShaolinMonk
      ShaolinMonk
      Just one Ranked Match a day can feed a starving Tekken troll.
      [​IMG]
    2. oneida
      oneida
      Anyone can beat anyone in VF.
      Tricky and Technocrow like this.
    3. DK
    4. ShaolinMonk
      ShaolinMonk
      Yes, but it's still imbalanced asf, and not for the reasons you find on tier lists. Balancing a fighter comes down to way more than singular, highly situational moves or properties, like a character who has 1 move that always scores a hit on evades.... Yeah, that's a nice perk, but by no means should it set that char apart from all others as a supreme build.

But when you take a character like Jacky Bryant, who is fast enough to counter 80% of the moves on 70% of the characters in the game, you develop a core issue. When you take someone like (my own personal favorite, let that sink in) Lei-Fei, who telegraphs 80% of his moves, leaving him savagely vulnerable to counters of ANY kind. Who has 60-70% linear strikes, and extremely limited Low options from neutral stances, you develop a problem. Now I can use Lei-Fei, hence my using him, lol. However, it's not without it's BS you just have to accept.

For example, in a fight with someone using Goh Hinogami, we were both close range, standing guard. I acted first because I knew he would hold until I gave him a solid opening. I hit Down K+G. Lei-Fei all but kisses his own knee (well below Goh's waistline), swinging his leg around for a sweeping kick.

Goh reacts (fair enough), by throwing a over-arching Mid punch from standing position. I shit you not, his fist never made contact with Lei-Fei's back. There was another fists length between us, whilst my heel was all but at it's mark, and can you guess what happened? Just guess, it's not that hard. Goh somehow scored damage and my trip was negated.

IMBALANCE.

I'll say it again for the cheap seats:

A good fighter finds a balance between unique characters, and universal playability.

When you take the "Every character is 100% unique and realistic." idea too extremes, you will end up with a basic Arcade Brawler with sub-par sales.

The Advantage system is folly and adds to the imbalance, because some characters have acceptable advantage, most of the time, whilst others are forced into predictable command strings in order to have decent Advnatage.

IMBALANCE.

The Physics engine is also sub-par (My Goh vs Lei-Fei example). When you compare it to a game like Tekken, where I can throw a certain punch with a character and I hunch just enough that your punch sails right passed my cheek, over the shoulder, and my punch sinks into your rib cage. Not always fortuitous,, but it's a SMOOTH physics engine. No BS.

IMBALANCE.

But, this is what happens when you make a title for a franchise that doesn't historically sell well. (You get a really fun Brawler anyone can pick up and crouch-punch their way to fame on)

5 & FS combined couldn't scratch the 1 mil mark, and with Arcades dying.... Well, it was a fun ride. Let's hope they figure out a well-made, generously funded fighter makes money, and 6 is a half-decent serious fighter.
    5. Stl_Tim
      Stl_Tim
      Research Zonenron Lei Fei and after that please delete all the above.

Don’t make us talk about bears, raptors, pandas, and the original Kardashian’s (Mishimas).
    6. ShaolinMonk
      ShaolinMonk
      Better yet, why don't you research why Virtua Fighter has failed so miserably as a franchise, Timmy. Because no one seems to be buying the games. It's known as a classic oddity in the Fighter community. A place where mediocre Fighter players have been finding a home since Tekken's release.

Basic, tragically simplistic 3 button layouts create comboing and commands so easy a child can use them. Combine that with a shitty physics engine, and imbalanced characters, you get a deceptively basic and shitty game. (Forgot to mention the CHEESIEST characters and dialogue of all time, in any fighter. Also the lack of a story as of late. All hurt sales. And sales don't lie. They reflect how the genre embraces a game.)

But don't get me wrong, if I were introducing a friend to Fighters, I would suggest VF as the perfect place to start. It's simplistic to a fault, but still has the very basic functions you'd expect any Fighter made after 2002 to have, like step evades, grapples, deflects, guard breaks, etc. It's a great brawler to teach anyone the transferable skills required to graduate to a title like Tekken, where 10-12 hit combos are a very real thing, and you have to hit the corresponding button for every limb thrown in said combo. Just a totally different skill level.
      Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    7. ShaolinMonk
      ShaolinMonk
      And I would whop that ass with Roger, Kuma, Panda, or Mokujin. lol

Any of those characters are less cheesy than El Blaze, Jacky Bryant, 'The Brad', or Lion. rofl.
      They even have better story lines.
      GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
    8. ShaolinMonk
      ShaolinMonk
      I'd perfect you with half-naked, diaper Heihachi every time. XD
      GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
    9. Tricky
      Tricky
      The troll level here is so damn high. You need to work on your game though. You’re aren’t supposed to write an essay, you’re supposed to provoke essays I’m reponse to your hilarious comments.
      Jason Elbow and ShinyBrentford like this.
    10. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      Um excuse me. He is called "THE BRAD SHOW"!! Get that shit corrected!!
    11. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      This is true. And you will get one from ole Timmy-buttfuck.
    12. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      Oh and another thing, I would ass rape you with King.
    13. MarlyJay
      MarlyJay
      Lets lay of the rape. Figuratively and literally.
      Mister and Tricky like this.
    14. Tricky
      Tricky
      Just for posterity since some of these comments about the strong characters are popular thoughts, I’ll give my 2cents.

Jacky is strong because he gets a lot of damage from CH’s, and he can control the pace of the match if you don’t know where or how to interrupt his strings. If you know how to not get CH, jacky isn’t scary anymore. The things is it is very hard to play against him without getting ch. it’s a very high skill ceiling to fight against him and not get CH. but if you can, he’s not that strong. His combos are also prone to dropping.

Akira just has answers to everything and GB is super strong in FS because fuzzy guard is so strong. He requires a lot from the player though so it’s not easy to use him. If you can get a handle on him though, he has no easy answers to his offense. All you have is evade and that isn’t a safe bet against a good Akira player.

This is all coming from my bottom tier Eileen perspective.

FYI: If I was making my own tier list from my experiences playing people and ignoring the jp list, I would put Eileen in the top tier category. In the lowest of the s tiers. Between A & S
    15. Stl_Tim
      Stl_Tim
      I bet you any money he’s Canadian?!
      Welcome to Dark Souls..
    16. ShaolinMonk
      ShaolinMonk
      You're the only person who said he's 'scary', I just said he is fast. When you know how to use that speed, and have good reflexes, he is dangerous. When I use him, the second your sprite flinches, you get tagged in the face. Very few exceptions there.

I remember when they just threw Jacky in DOA 5, and the players were like, "WTAF are you doing right now?! o_O"

Classic.

EDIT: Also, when dealing with Virtua Fighter, I can completely understand how fact stating could be confused with trolling. The line is paper-thin.
    17. MarlyJay
      MarlyJay
      Especially when you're actually wrong and appear to not know what you're talking about.
      Tricky, ShinyBrentford and Mister like this.
    18. Myke
      Myke
      You know, when someone newly registered on any FG site comes on and opines on how imbalanced the game is, it is usually, and you could argue naturally, met with some amount of opposition. Furthermore, being newly registered raises flags for many on your credibility (Who are you? How well do you really understand the game? etc.) and can, unfortunately, shape the tone of that opposition into hostility.

I mean, in your earlier reply to this thread, you mentioned that you had :

"Been playing fighters since the 90s, never heard of a tier list until I downloaded Virtua Fighter 5." ​

and that:

"Some communities may develop player-run tier lists, but games like Tekken and Soul Calibur objectively have none"

From these I surmise that you only recently discovered the Internet, or managed to never participate in an online FG community in any capacity, whatsoever, or are really trolling us hard. If either of these are true, then that's quite remarkable and, in the context of this discussion, not necessarily in a good way.

Therefore, when you come forward with such a claim from a position of having no credibility, then the burden of proof lies on you. That's not "us" being protective, stubborn, overly sensitive or elitist about our game. That's just a reality that applies to any "outsider" that wishes to challenge a community's status quo. The weight of your argument is going to be heavily dependent on whatever facts, evidence and/or experiences you bring to the table, and how well they stand to scrutiny. From what I have read below and in your previous posts, you've based your opinion on some anecdotal observation informed by a very limited knowledge of not only how VF works, but fighting games in general.

I don't believe anyone has made this claim. Many accept that tiers exist in VF, but the gaps between the tiers are not insurmountable at neither the beginner or advanced level. There is a plethora of evidence to back this up, with so-called "bottom tier" characters dominating local scenes (fledgling and long-established alike), winning monthly tournaments in Japan, to either appearing in finals or actually winning national tournaments.

Jacky isn't placed high on the tier list for the reasons you mentioned. I think Tricky's reply does a good job to cover Jacky's strengths but I'll narrow it down even further: it's about the risk vs reward and potential for damage output that places him comparatively higher than many of the cast.

Aaaaand we'll stop right there.

Perhaps you felt cheated by that exchange, that somehow you were entitled to win because you pressed a button first. But that's not how VF, nor any fighting game works. It's not a race to press buttons.

So, what you've described is neither an argument for, nor evidence of, imbalance. What you've described is a slow attack losing out to faster attack on pure reaction. Happens all the time. In every fighting game. Yes. All of them (magical / invulnerable properties notwithstanding).

Let me repeat that: What you've described is basic maths and not imbalance.

So rather than cry foul of the game's "imbalance", perhaps spend a moment to analyse and understand why your attack lost in that exchange.

I think many would agree with you on that!

Putting aside the sub-par sales for the moment, who is taking the 100% unique and realistic idea to extremes?

With all due respect, you really don't know what you're talking about.

Sorry, but I think the only thing sub-par with your Goh vs Lei example is your maths. Do you have any other examples of VF's "sub-par" physics engine? The "SMOOTH physics" of a near-miss you described in Tekken also occurs in VF, so you're either deliberately ignoring that fact or have failed to even notice it. Perhaps Tekken's super slow motion mechanic is helping you "see" this smoothness that you would otherwise miss at 60 fps? Maybe we should slow VF down for you as well?

So coming back to the point about (low) sales. If you're going to use sales figures as a means to objectively measure the quality of a thing, then by the same token I guess you'd think Titanic and Avatar were the greatest movies ever to have graced mankind.

Most fans of VF would concede that it's not the most popular on the market, for a variety of reasons, and never will be without a drastic overhaul of sorts. However, popularity and sales are completely different topics and carry zero value in an argument about balance. Ultimately, you put forward an embarrassingly weak straw man to support your argument, which was built upon a single, laughably explainable, anecdote then sarcastically suggest that we are the ones that can't distinguish between fact and fiction.

Well played, good sir. Well played.
    19. MarlyJay
      MarlyJay
      That response was far more than what was deserved.
    20. TexasLion
      TexasLion
      Wow that post was VF poetry Myke! :) So well written and informative and answering and addressing every single point brought up. I'm gonna probably read it a few more times and soak in the genius of it all. Lol
      Tricky and GustavoHeisenberg like this.