1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Neko Dojo's 2AFC Approach

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Sep 16, 2013.

By akai on Sep 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    For those seeking to learn and improve on their VF play, there are many good resources already available. For example, video tutorials and the VFDC Wiki. However, textbook-like resources that allow people to follow chapters sequentially for effective understanding is sorely lacking. The Neko Dojo team, the makers of Virtua Wrecker 5 Final Showdown and many other videos showcasing very damaging setups, presents their textbook-like resource 2AFC Approach (see below for Table of Contents).

slide.jpg

The goal of 2AFC Approach (Two-Alternative Forced Choice or what VFers might know as "nitaku") is to make players think of most situations as a choice between 2 actions. However, the overall message the Neko Dojo team wants to impart to beginners and intermediate players are:
    The 2AFC Approach is an ongoing work. It is unique for having both a Japanese and English text version. Not only is it a beneficial resource to new players, but it also contain valuable information for experienced players. What I like about 2AFC Approach is that it builds on preexisting resources with additional information. So check out Neko Dojo's 2AFC Approach! I will update the Table of Contents below as more blog entries are posted.

2AFC Table of Contents
    (last updated June 20, 2015)​
    2AFC Approach: Preface
    1. How to Reduce Input Lag (English / 日本語)
    2. General Properties of Attacks (English / 日本語)
    3. Attack Analysis (English / 日本語)
    4. Advantage and Disadvantage (English / 日本語)
    5. Top Tips for Command Input
    6. Attack Levels
    7. Training 1 (English / 日本語)
    8. General Strategy: Collision Detection (English / 日本語)
    9. General Properties of Foot Stance (English / 日本語)
    10. General Properties of Throw
    11. Fuzzy Guarding
    12. Catch Throws and Guard Breaks
    13. High Throws at Large Advantage

About the Neko Dojo Team
    The Neko Dojo team is composed of Hokkaido VFers: Academi-ya who writes majority of the text and manages their blog and Nachi Nozawa who edits majority of the videos. In addition, KEN KEN sometime helps with the making of the videos. Neko Dojo was originally created by Academi-ya in 2003 for Virtua Fighter 3 to 5. In 2010, he created the current blog for Final Showdown. Due to increasing workload, Academi-ya took less of the center stage on the blog's contents. However, seeing a lack of a textbook-like resource available, and that the success of that resource would require a seasoned player with knowledge of the VF system, he decided to write the 2AFC Approach.​

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Myke
      Myke
      Table of Contents updated with Catch Throws and Guard Break Attacks Part 4.

A minor correction: there are two occurrences of FCG which should be to FGC (Fuzzy Guard followed by Crouch) instead.
      Tricky, academi-ya and jimi Claymore like this.
    2. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi, Myke
       Thank you for always for your correspondence even though you're busy.

Thank you very much for bringing it to my attention. According to your reasonble suggestion, we have revised the original article. I hope that you will find an improvement in the revised article.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      G0d3L likes this.
    3. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

Chapter 12-5, Catch Throws and Guard Break Attacks 5, has been posted on Neko-Dojo.

[​IMG]

The most important message in this chapter is that
      :
       GBA generally has a long Total Duration, so you can reap huge rewards by Successful Defensive Move.

Thanks,
      academi-ya

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
      EvenPit, G0d3L, MakiLeSushi and 2 others like this.
    4. Myke
      Myke
      Table of Contents updated with Catch Throws and Guard Break Attacks Part 5.
      academi-ya likes this.
    5. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi Myke,
       I'm very appreciative of the work you've made update of contents.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
    6. Tricky
      Tricky
      Hi @academi-ya thanks for these latest posts. It confirms something that I thought I was on to earlier but could not figure out the mechanics behind. I have had a harder time figuring out what you meant in some of these explanations though. In the fuzzy guard crouch technique of avoiding akira's 6P+K+G gb situation, what exactly are you doing ? You tap 2 sometime within 7 frames of the inability frames that take place after the 33G; or do you just need to tap 2 within 7 frames of the opponents GB? What happens if you tap 2 during the inability frames? Do you lose that 2 input or will it register for the 7frame window. OR are you trying to say that you must must tap 2 on the exact 7th frame after the inability frames that come after 33g?

This technique is a little more complicated so I can't really figure out what you're trying to say.
      academi-ya likes this.
    7. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi @Tricky

After inability time, forward crouch dashing takes 7 frames to standing from crouching state. Note that, during the 7 frames, you can rekey command for natural crouching [2_].

[​IMG]

Diagram 126 in chapter 12-4

In the Diagram SI1, Player 1 has entered [2_] for crouching at the 4th frame after inability time in order to block [6_][6_][P] (13 frames attack) of Player 2. Note that Player 1 can change his state from crouching to standing over in just 1 frame (highlighted pink).

[​IMG]
      Diagram SI1

As mentioned in Diagram SI1, you can rekey down direction during the 7 frames (highlighted light blue). Of course, more than 14 frames attacks would beat FGC which was performed by the command input above (See also Diagram 128 in chapter 12-4).

Following the same setup, Player 2 chooses akira's Kaiko [6][P]+[K]+[G] (13 frames attack) instead (Diagram SI2). Again notice that Player 1 would change his state from crouching to standing over in just 1 frame (highlighted pink). Therefor, Guard Break Attack puts Player 1 holding guard [G] off his balance.

[​IMG]

Summary

FGC defends from Guard Break Attacks and Mid Attacks with the fast execution: However, the sole exception is Akira’s Kaiko [6][P]+[K]+[G]!

G0d3L and Tricky like this.
    8. Tricky
      Tricky
      @academi-ya Thank you for the thorough reply. I'll spend some time with this and let you know if I have any more questions. You've been very helpful.
      academi-ya likes this.
    9. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

An advance screening of a movie for chapter 13 has been posted on Youtube.

In the video above, the control of Player 2 (Goh black) was performed by the same command input using Record 1 of training mode: 6P > 33G (Fuzzy Guarding) > 8 (Defensive Move).

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    10. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

Chapter 13-1, High Throws at Large Advantage, has been posted on Neko-Dojo.

[​IMG]

The most important message in this chapter is that:
       'High Throws at Large Advantage' is strongly required for restricting the scope of the opponent's action.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      Tricky, EvenPit, G0d3L and 3 others like this.
    11. Myke
      Myke
      Table of contents updated with 13-1 High Throws at Large Advantage.
      academi-ya likes this.
    12. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi Myke,
       I’m so pleased you have made update of contents despite being extremely busy.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      Tricky likes this.
    13. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

In the video above, the control of Player 1 (Jean) was performed by the same command input using Record 3 of training mode: 6K > PKP > 66K+G (maximum charge) > KK > 1P+K.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    14. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

Chapter 13-2, High Throws at Large Advantage 2, has been posted on Neko-Dojo.

[​IMG]

The key message is that
      :
       In general, changing the period of Recovery Phase would be observed if the player is on the opposite to follow-up attacks.

In the video above, the control of Player 1 (Akira) was performed by the same command input using
      Record 2 of training mode: 66P > 323G (Fuzzy Guarding) > 2_5 (Defensive Move) > 66G.

Thanks,
      academi-ya

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
      Dennis0201, MakiLeSushi, Myke and 2 others like this.
    15. Myke
      Myke
      Table of contents updated with High Throws at Large Advantage - Part 2.
      academi-ya likes this.
    16. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Dear Myke,

We would like to express our sincere gratitude for your updating on the table of contents.

With best regards,
      academi-ya
    17. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
      MakiLeSushi and G0d3L like this.
    18. Combolammas
      Combolammas
      Crouch backdash is also really strong against Jeffry after 2K normal hit.
      academi-ya likes this.
    19. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi Combolammas,

Thank you very much for bringing it to my attention. According to your reasonble suggestion, we have revised the original Video (See the video above). I hope that you will find an improvement in the revised video.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
    20. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

Chapter 13-3, High Throws at Large Advantage 3, has been posted on Neko-Dojo.

[​IMG]

The key message is that
      :
       You are blessed with a wonderful opportunity for High Throws if you succeed to block the leading move of Hit Throws.

Thanks,
      academi-ya