1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

New to 3D fighter games, kindly help! Thanks!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Shinguuji, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Shinguuji

Shinguuji New Member

Hi, I've only recently started playing 3d-fighters, I'm an extremely old KOF player, starting off from KOF'94...

Well, initially, I was kinda put off by games like DOA, MK or SC2, cos it mainly relied on the 8-direction movement, and a lot of luck, IMHO(i've never really given any of these games a chance), but VF is different, it's really deep, I *think* I kinda know how to play it, roughly, so i'm going to say it in the below paragraph, kindly correct my mistakes regarding this game, thanks!

Firstly, VF is a game of using the best tools at the right time, if a person stands and block, throw him/use a low attack, if he crouches, use a mid attack, etc. Next is minimising your disadvantages, if I read correctly, the whole thing on frames is to get the most advantage out of a situation, and ensure that when attacking, you minimise your disadvantages, for example, not following up on a string of attacks if it was blocked, or trhowing the opponent when he uses a lengthy move...

next is the type of game that is played, there's near range and far range, for close range, you can dodge or use blocks for attacks, then counter, or if the opponent is blocking, hit him out of the block using the various strings. for far range, you can either wait for the opponent to get close, or use one of the various far ranged attacks, example would be lion's [3]+[K]+[G] if the opponent is standing far, or [6]+[K]+[G] if he is crouching from far off, distant attacks can be countered by 'poking'

next is the poking game, there's it in 2D fighters too, but not as much, basically, just poke, poke, poke if you cannot use a string, or throw him of slam him...

next would the recovery, which is something like KOF rolls, sometimes it's better to recover, sometimes not, recovring towards the front is especially dangerous as it can get you hit, but it can hit by itself, and hence useful, using a getting-up attack is also risky and can leave you open....

then there's whether to hit him on the floor or not, the rewards are great, but it's dangerous at high levels where recoveries are used.....

It's something of a game of risk VS reward, maximising probability....

Did i get it? is this VF? Cos i'm not very sure whether this is the correct way i should look at it? i kinda like it..

Oh, and can anyone teach me a good way for lion to hit people out of their crouching blocks? I can't find a reliable way to do it, hence i normally distance myself, then use [6]+[K]+[G] to hit them out of crouches....

2. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

Against crouchers with lion use midkick (3k, learn to play the staggergame), p+k for combo (specially after a backdash), 6p (stagger once more). Can also use 8k (combo if MC against a 2p) I think. I don't really play lion so... yeah tried to help anyways. Backing and doing 6k+g is not a very valid option =)

I don't want to comment on the rest of your writing ^__^, will let someone else do that.

/KiwE

3. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Welcome to the board.

From what you wrote, I think you're getting the idea of what VF is like. One of the SoCal players, GoatCheeseBlues, help me take a huge leap in my game play by describing VF like this... He said it could be likened to taking turns:

My turn:

I attack.

If I hit you, it's still my turn to attack.
    If you block or dodge, it's now your turn to attack or throw.

You attack.

Since I use Akira, I can try to take my turn again by reversals or sabakis, but I have to guess right or I'm in trouble. I can also dodge or block.

OR

You throw

This could be a guaranteed situation (-8) and I should be trying to escape.
    This could be -7 or less and you tried to throw anyway and I could still get thrown (if I just stood there or dodged without entering throw escapes) or I can hit you out of the throw.

There are certainly more choices and special situations that could be added to the above.

Good luck.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

From skimming your post here are my immediate thoughts (i.e. not meant to be comprehensive):

One major element you missed is dodging and the concept of linear, half-circular, and full-circular attacks.

Also, recovery counters tend to be more important in 3D games. I.e. you should know if you block a certain attack whether you have an opportunity to successfully throw or attack back.

There are lots of other small stuff but you basically got the gist of it.

Pai~Chun likes this.
  5. LuCieD

LuCieD Active Member

hi, I'm also new with VF.
    I have 3D game experience, esp with tekken (and Soul Calibur, but not really good at it)
    so, when I play VF, I felt really different feeling when play this game compare with tekken or SC.
    (actually I practice with VF4 evo console right now)

in Tekken and SC, their have WS move if you wanna punish blocking low moves, but in VF they dont have WS move, so I kinda forgot coz I reflect punish with ws move, hehe.
    but, after a few match with my friend (actually the button masher one) I tried to punish with FC move (like Akira FC move)
    also, I have a bad habit with throw breaks. Usually i break throw just with P input (coz my reflect to tekken), haha

humm, I got question here. I saw match video (Oshu's Akira from my friend) and when he doin floating juggle, he pull out many instan FC move. How to do it? just with fast input or there's another method?
    thx before. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS: even I'm new (and nub of course, hehe), I dont have tany rouble with Akira's Arsenal move. thx to my Tekken experience.

6. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Hey there and welcome to the board. What you saw Ohsu doing was a FC move started from standing with a CD ([3][3]). Since he inputted CD and went right into the FC move - it looked like he did an FC from standing.

Read this for more info on movement. It was written for VF4 Ver. B & C (right before Evo came out), but it works fine for Evo and FT.

Also, some VF characters have WS moves. Akira doesn't.

Good luck with VF. If you're in the USA and in SoCal, NYC, Ohio, Florida, or St. Louis, try and meet up with players. There are groups in other cities/countries as well.

7. LuCieD

LuCieD Active Member

I've read the FAQ.
    May I ask several question? /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    - what is MC? I cannot find MC stand for
    - about korean stepping, from what I read, I just can imagine that, but I never see the real korean step. It is just circling around the ring with more and more ultra sidestep CD speed?
    - I kinda confuse with the terms that's been used in this forum. XD some move list like akira, just a little I know such as dblpm,bodycheck, SDE. XD and aside from akira, I know nothin. XD

is there any thread or faq that explain the terms in VF? (Like the Legend section @ TZ)

Actually, I'm from Indonesia, no one play VF here, but me. XD
    This game not very popular here, if u compare with Tekken (the biggest), KOF (KOF XI actually), SC (some ppl still playing, although this game already dead), and Guilty Gear (Surabaya's society)
    maybe the reason I play VF4 evo right now for preparation when VF5 come out. :p

8. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    MC = Major Counter. If you hit someone while they are trying to attack you and it is successful, you get an MC.

Lots of abbrieviations explained here.

Korean Step was big in VF3. I never tried to learn it.

You mentioned you read the FAQ and I wonder if you've actually read all the documents on this page. There's a large amount of info there. I haven't digested it all, myself. Good luck.

9. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

10. Tech-Trap

Tech-Trap Member

XBL:
    Taylor BallHard
    Mfw someone describes any fighter as luck.
    Mfw I have no face.