1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Question about wiffed 0 frame throw..

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by StarEileen, Mar 5, 2008.

1. StarEileen

StarEileen Member

I have a question about 0 frame throw. Once it is get wiffed either by ducking or by backdashing, will there be another throwable frame at 12th window?

I mean if you duck the 0 frame throw, and stand up guarding 4~5 frame later, will you be thrown still because the 0 frame throw now becomes 12 frame throw???

These are possibility that I can think of about wiffed 0 frame throw.
    1) It becomes 12 frame throw(i.e. 2 throwable windows).
    2) It doesn't become 12 frame throw, and the total wiffed animation will be 36 frames(wiffed frames for a normal throw).
    3) It doesn't become 12 frame throw, but the total wiffed animation will be only 24 frames(discluding 12 frame normal throw execution).

What should be the answer?

2. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

At the moment you enter a throw the system will recognize if its zero frame. If it is, it will execute (or be escaped) instantly. If it isn't you get a normal (12f) throw.

Thus, a whiffed throw can never have been 0f in the first place, because if all the of criteria were met it would have simply executed. You can only speak of a whiffed throw if the last hit frame of a 12f throw has passed and no connection was made.

So yeah, theoretically speaking a throw does have two windows of execution, the first being the moment it was typed in (and restricted by various conditions), the second being 12f after that. Hhhmmmm, never thought of it that way.

aside: I'd say clash is also assessed at that 0f moment, when the system knows it has to start the first frame of the throw animation.

3. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a complete misnomer... if a throw doesn't connect as 0frame, it's always 12 frame... not possible to "whiff" a throw and still count it as a 0frame.

Vortigar: Actually clashes are calculated on the 12th frame... except with the very longest attacks in the game, clashing requires that the attack started after the throw was first input, so there isn't any possible way the game could calculate them on the first frame of the throw.

4. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

Oh of course, it's for using throws while you're at advantage.
    Silly me...

5. StarEileen

StarEileen Member

Is this means that if I duck the 0 frame throw, there will be another throw coming over my head at 12th frame?

This sounds a little odd....:|

6. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Given the right circumstances in which a 0-frame throw occurs...

You cannot actually duck to avoid a 0-frame throw (ie, opponent enter throw input before you are fully crouched, since it executes instantly).

If you are already in the crouch position, opponent high throw attempt will come out as a 12-frame throw.

7. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're thinking of it wrong. 0frames only occur if you're standing around doing nothing, or sometimes when you're stuck in recovery frames... you can't do anything to avoid them, that is, it's not possible to "duck" a 0frame, because there was a grand total of zero frames for you to attempt to input the crouch command.

If you happen to already be crouching (or evading, or otherwise unthrowable), than any throw your opponent uses will be 12 frame, and yes, it is possible to stand up during the "grab" animation, and get thrown at the actual 12th frame.

8. StarEileen

StarEileen Member

I mean "duck" to avoid the first 0 frame detection, then second "duck" to avoid the what is now become the 12 frame throw.

In VF5, I need to be in crouching status for the entire 12 frames now, or I will be thrown either in the begining or at the end, right? That's why I am saying it is two point throw.

9. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    StarEileen, I think you're not understanding the concept of a 0f throw.

A 0f throw cannot be ducked.

If you're able to duck a throw, then it wasn't a 0f throw to begin with.

The end.

p.s. the same holds true if you replace "duck" with "clash"

10. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    I have a question about standing from crouch position to stand-how long(frames) is it?
    i know that crouching=7 frames, by crouch dash=6 frames.

11. StarEileen

StarEileen Member

What I mean by "duck" is that if someone dash-in and do a throw, I will be thrown by 0 frame throw. But if I was crouching, the 0 frame throw will not occur, so I don't get thrown by 0 frame throw. So technically I "duck"ed my opp.'s 0 frame throw attempt by making 0 frame throw occurence detection fail. Not ducking the 0 frame motion, but 0 frame occurence detection.

And the way I understood is that in VF5 a single throw command has 2 chances of throwing. The first chance is where 0 frame throw validity detection held place, and even if it fails, he will still get another throwing chance 12 frame later w/o giving any extra joystick input because the throw now becomes 12 frame throw.

So I call it two point throw...

12. StarEileen

StarEileen Member

Ok, Ok. I found better way to put it.

0 frame throw cannot be ducked
    However, 0 frame throw detection can be ducked

Hope this brings us some peace /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    No peace! I will beat this into you until you finally understand!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Here's the deal: when a throw command is entered, at that very instant the condition for it to be 0f frame will be either true or false:

<ul>[*]If it's true, you cannot duck it, and the throw will connect 100% every time. (Whether you Throw Escape it or not is an entirely different matter)[*]If it's false, then instead of being a 0f throw it'll be a normal 12f throw. The success of this 12f throw depends on what you do in the next 12 frames (continue to crouch? guard? attack? etc)[/list]

A 0f throw never ends up being a 12f throw. They're mutually exclusive.

14. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

That is not what a zero frame throw is. A zero frame throw occurs when the opponent is Idle. Wether the opponent dashed in for a throw or did it from standing, that has nothing to do with it being a 0 frame throw.

I think maybe you got confused by some threads (like in the akira forum) where a situation is discussed where one dashes in for the 0 frame throw. But it's not the dash by itself that makes it 0 frames, but the overal situation.

anyways, read what Myke said and read the system wiki, http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/doku.php?id=vf5:system

15. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

You can stand up in time to be thrown by a 12-frame throw.

16. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    Thanks for answer =((

17. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

0frame throw is a nightmare!

-i get an elbow blocked and apply ETEG.
    -opponent delays a large window of my slow evade and gets a 0frame throw.
    - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif grrr

( /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif grrr)

18. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it teaches you not to fuckign stand there and just guard. It teaches you "active" defense. the other day I was playing against a certain Akira in quest mode (Vald, 9th dan, South arcade). He's the perfect actualisation of Joji Suzuki's old rule of the thumb for Akira: if you opponent stands, throw him, if he crouches, elbow him. This Vald guy mixes low backfist, elbows and throws extremely well. Very good AI to practice against if you ask me.

19. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

he wasn't just standing guarding, read his post he got caught in a failed evade trap, what is active defense out of curiosity?
    Bk why did you eteg after blocked elbow anyways?

20. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Wolfs screw hook is -8 on block if he meant that..