1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

"Someone needs to reboot VIRTUA FIGHTER" - Ed Boon

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Feb 12, 2020.

By Myke on Feb 12, 2020 at 5:44 PM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Ed Boon, the co-creator of Mortal Kombat & Injustice and creative director at NetherRealm Studios, recently echoed what the entire VF and perhaps the greater Fighting Game community have been wanting, needing, requesting and even demdaning: "Someone needs to reboot VIRTUA FIGHTER".

ed_boon.jpg

Ed is not the first notable gaming figure to publicly address the lack of a new title in the Virtua Fighter series. Tekken Director, Katsuhiro Harada made a similar acknowledgement and went so far as to cheekily suggest that even if Bandai Namco created the next VF, that VF fans would still reject it purely because it carried the Bandai Namco badge.

Every now and then, a buzz can be heard around the social-sphere about a new VF, from fans to industry heavies alike.

Is SEGA even listening?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Chanchai, VFhayato, Coroo and 5 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Feb 12, 2020.

1. beanboy
      beanboy
      Graphics wise, those two games Tekken 7 and MK11 have too much dark/gray colour toned graphics, and those games also lack colour. That is normally a cheat, or sometimes a cheap fast easy way to complete a game, or when making a game on underpowered hardware, or hardware that is too difficult to make games on. Alot of AAA PS3 games back then, unfortunately have that greyed out style of graphics too.

Unreal is cool but was always overrated. Lots of fancy graphics and lighting demo's, but all of the games made with unreal, strangely look greyed out and dark. And did I forget to mention, that that game engine has alot of bugs too. At least the bugs are being fixed.:p

CryEngine is a much better option, but it is too resource heavy. But,....even though strangely enough, I recently heard, it is being used by nintendo and retro studios, for Metroid Prime 4 (on nintendo switch). If that is true, I'm curious to hear, what deal nintendo made with crytech, to make that happen. And how the heck is cryengine going to run on switch?:holla:

Heck, I would even say use Unity game engine. But that game engine has too many strange bugs. At least the dev team tries to fix the bugs, so I give them a round of applause for that. Note, unreal has alot of silly bugs too, but people don't like to talk about that. Lol!

Blender game engine is my choice for VF6. But unfortunately, the blender team stopped working on it. I think they should continue improving the blender game engine, but that is only a wish.

But to be real, sega is better off using it's own home made VF game engine, for VF6. Or make an improved, updated version of the VF5 game engine, and use that for VF6. Since the coding for VF5 is already there, they wouldn't need to have to rewrite VF5 code, but update and improve on what they have already. And it might take them less time to make VF6, and they could spend money, time and effort, on hiring more martial artists, to do motion capture for more VF characters, and other cool stuff etc.
      Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
      GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
    2. ChiepTrash
      ChiepTrash
      But those 2 games have shit looking in-game animation. MK11 can look nice in a still picture, but I like to play my games. Tekken's animation still haven't caught up to the late 1990's SoulCalibur on the Dreamcast.

What's the reasoning behind asking for Unreal Engine?
      In software engineering generic off-the-shelf solutions are used to save man hours (keep cost down), provide something that in-house knowledge is lacking, avoid bugs (it has been battle tested & revised by many others beforehand). But when using a generic framework to do something specific according to your very specific needs you add many levels of indirection, and what that means is that the cost is: LESS PERFORMANCE.

Rolling your own graphics engine is a tall order. Many companies are trying to avoid that investment. Cut down man hours, cut down time to market etc.
      Performance have been suffering a lot last few years on consoles. So if you have a company like SEGA which traditionally have had great engineers who been rolling their own solution with great performance then why oh why would you as an end user (gamer) request that they don't?
      beanboy likes this.
    3. Shinobi
      Shinobi
      1) To be honest, this is the first time I hear something like that. When did that happen? How? And most importantly, why? Are there any articles about that matter? I hope they will change their minds and make VF6.

2) I'm not so sure that we can predict the way a new VF will play or how different it will be from the previous games. So far, AM2 has treated our favorite game so gently. No Namco or Capcom stuff.
      gido likes this.
    4. beanboy
      beanboy
      If I remember correctly, Maximillian Dood himself made a mention of that, on his yovideogames channel, either last year or the year before, when he and the doods were playing some fighting games. Sadly, I can't remember which vid he said that.
    5. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      1st time it was really long ago, like around FS console release, and was stopped because what was in development was not "innovative enough" to justify new number in name.
      2nd time it was in like 2014 when they simply move people to Hatsune Miku project cause it was more important (and making actual money).
      3rd time I didn't hear anything about why they stopped it, only that they put together small team to work on it and then disband it again.

Anyway from what I heard, it was never anything big or deep into development process - just early concepts and stuff like that.

Also let me point out that while I may be gaming industry journalist back in my time, this info was strictly unofficial and noone never had any way to confirm it. Just rumors coming out of usually reliable sources, nothing more.

PS: I am almost sure the 1st one was even confirmed by Yoshihiro or maybe Noriyuki in some interview.
      vifi and MadeManG74 like this.
    6. Thesch28
      Thesch28
      VF5FS Graphics look weird but Vanilla VF5 looks absolutely AMAZING!
      VF5FS doesn't look impressive because the devs screwed up the presentation.
      Why should SEGA use Unreal Engine 4 for a new VF6? just to get poor performance and weird clay hair like other UE4 games?! They should just use VF5's engine with a few tweaks, higher polygon models and higher res textures that's all they need! VF5's engine already is capable of doing pretty good looking weather and lighting effects.
      Just look at Lei-Fei's stage from vanilla 5, it's beautiful!
      upload_2020-2-18_20-19-4.png
      Or Lau's Stage:
      upload_2020-2-18_20-25-48.png
      Talking about re-releases if SEGA was ever going port VF5FS to current gen consoles and pc THEY HAVE TO include the Vanilla 5 and VF5R stages which actually take full advantage of VF5's graphics engine.
      Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    7. kungfusmurf
    8. Sozos
      Sozos
      damn i want new VF!! :(
      vifi, beanboy and Sonic The Fighters like this.
    9. Shinobi
      Shinobi
      Man, I feel empty and sad...
      vifi, beanboy and MadeManG74 like this.
    10. JCnextinc
      JCnextinc
      Another idea: (and way cheaper than a new game) a remaster of the game we could cal VF5 fs REMIX. Just an update on the textures and the lightening. The game is already better than ALL other fighters.
      Best Animations.
      Best transitions.
      Best physics.
      Best mechanics.
      Best use of the environnement stage/walls/ring outs. Etc etc..

I understand that SEGA am2 consider VF fs like an accomplishment. And what to do after such a Job? What can they do? What to improve? The game is perfect! just update the graphics and call it VF remix if you're too lazy ^^.

But definitely BIG solo content is important nowadays especially for non competitive players.
    11. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      Let me correct this statement:
      VF5FS doesn't look impressive because the devs actually adjusted the game to arcade machines it was running onto.
      VF5 vanilla (maybe R too, I never asked about that one) was known for dropping frames and slowdowns caused by too good graphics for the actual graphical power available.

PS: Do you know that VF5FS on consoles looks actually WORSE that VF5FS on arcades? A lot of graphical shenanigans were cut out from the console port
      vifi and MadeManG74 like this.
    12. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      Just for the fun:

I once got an interview with some high(er) rank SEGA representative in like 2012? I think it was around that time. Besides other questions, I asked also about VF6. It went along this lines:

me: Can you tell me anything about VF6?
      him: If I will tell you anything, I will need to kill you.
      me: So you are saying there IS something to tell then?
      him: Oh. Now I need to kill you.
      Shinobi, MadeManG74 and masterpo like this.
    13. gido
      gido
      Yes thank you! A reboot is very much needed
    14. ICHIBANin10000
      ICHIBANin10000
      This is only half true. If the Sega Lindbergh board is running on the original Nvidia 6800 GT graphics card it debuted with, all three versions of VF , vanilla, R ,and FS will suffer framerate drops here and there. Later the Lindbergh Yellow unit was upgraded with an Nvidia 7800 GS, which suffered no framerate drops.

FS wasn't made pastel-colored to lower the demand on the arcade board's processors . VF5 Vanilla and R tried to simulate the effect ambient lighting and sunlight would have on the color of the environments and characters. It would be more accurate to say the lighting was changed in FS to make the colors appear as bright as possible, regardless of realistic environments rather than " pastel-colored" . It was made pastel colored , devalued DM by removing DM P+K , and sped up the jumping to make it more accessible to 2D fighting game players.
      Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    15. Auvii
      Auvii
      I see some are taking his statement a bit too literally. don't interpret what he said as a traditional reboot like we know today. I think he meant it just needs to be developed again. There hasn't been a true release since VF5. Mainstream audience are really unaware of the smaller expansions since VF5 launched on consoles. I take his reboot statement as a need to restart the development process and bring a new VF to the table.

Which I support wholeheartedly.
    16. Parasite_eveNZ
      Parasite_eveNZ
      i agree I've wanted an ultimate vf with all the best parts features wise from all vfs and the corporate bs you listed above while we all know we hate it, it's futile to argue against because it's so baked in to every facet of gaming now
    17. gido
      gido
      I actually like both these ideas. As by outsiders I'd vouch for Team Ninja as they have made the VF characters in DoA5 most beautiful they'e ever been. And I believe that if it is done by AM2 they would make the best decisions by doing of what you said. Not Tekken over the top flashy by adding hit sparks and particke effects I really dont care for that.

However..

They need something to spark an interest in the gameplay. Whether it be slowmos, better camera workage, better motions, better look, overall just a better and modern presentation.

Honestly I feel thats all how all games boil down to in terms of success. If Sega actually cared enough to put more of a proper presentation to VF rather than gameplay, I'd feel it would've done better on being revelent to this day.

Soul Calibur did it. Turned out great, Arks is going for a change with their new Guilty Gear game and I have the upmost faith Virtua Fighter can also do it. It may not be the same, it may be even better who knows..but VF should definitely make a comeback and get the praise it finally deserves since its release back in 93'

And as Boon said it depends on that special someone..
    18. masterpo
      masterpo
      If they make those kinds of drastic changes , why not just give it a new name:confused:

@gido the thing that distinguishes VF from Tekken, MK, SC etc is its engine, balance, look and feel and no nonsense gameplay. If the strategy for more sales is to make VF more like Tekken, or SC, or SF or MK then it wouldn't be VF, and if Tekken or SC is what one really wants to play, then one should simply play those games. Adding meters, power ups, rage art would be transforming VF into something else. In that case just make a new fighting IP and call it day.

@gido Its not the case that Sega needs to spark interest in VF game play. The fact that we're actively and passionately on VFDC talking about, and still playing a game that was released on last gen consoles in 2012 demonstrates there is plenty of interest in VF. In fact there are VF tournaments multiple times a year, in multiple countries and cities every year. VF is being played somewhere on the planet every hour of every day. If you set your region to some of the countries there are always rooms, player matches and ranked matches going on. So the premise that somehow VF's gameplay needs to be spruced up is just not the case;)

The real issue is Sega's priorities, budgets, available resources, and game strategy direction. Regardless of how much interest there is in VF, sparked interest or otherwise Sega may simply not want to pursue the VF IP at this time. Or they might night have the budget, or there may be licensing issues, etc.

Here is a fact. If Sega was to port the current VF games as they are right now to current gen and next gen consoles as well as the P.C The ports would generate very very respectable sales. They would easily generate profits. Easily. Would they sell more than Tekken or SC who knows. But they would make Sega money. However, at this time it appears Sega has other plans.

Most people on this forum would definitely buy VF4 EVO, VF4 Final Tuned, VF3 TB remastered for the upcoming PS5 and new XBoX. Sega wouldn't have to do a damn thing to spark interest.

With all due respect VF doesn't have to make a comeback, it's never went anywhere. Its still being played all over the world m8.:cool:
    19. gido
      gido
      As much as I get where you're coming from I can't stand people for bashing VF or not knowing that yea Sarah was the first blonde bombshell before Nina Williams not the other way around. And I get that its still be played all over the world...just as much as ST is (Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo for those that don't know) but it still needs to put its name back up on with the big leagues.

And just to make things clear I'm not pushing for VF to add in any meters, special finishers or anything like that. I have no problem with the gameplay, just the way it presents itself. And I 100% agree on how Sega is neglecting a beloved fg IP that we all are striving for. We may have different views on the approach but we can at least feel the same struggle on not having another VF :cry:

I just want one of my favorite fighting game characters of all time (Jacky Bryant) from my favorite old sega game to prosper again. It seems to be just a wish though..as much as I like Tekken 7 and DoA5 (forget that trash ass DoA6:mad:), Virtua Fighter should be standing right between those two.
      masterpo likes this.
    20. masterpo
      masterpo

kewl we're on the same page. Agreed I'd like a complete version of VF to be running on this gen and next gen consoles right now too. All we have this gen is a port of VF5FS (partial arcade mode) running inside of Yakuza 6 and Judgment. But even this is better than nothing:(

But I dunno, even if we could magically get a new VF6 today and it was hyped, how long would anyone outside of VF die hards play it? Sure Sega would get the sales. Once the game is sold, its sold. The profit would be made. But how many people trying it out for the first time would still be around next year this time? Or going to tourneys etc? How much bigger would the VF community get than it is now? Yes it would grow temporarily maybe for 9 to 12 months, but after that the VF community seems to settle down to roughly the same number of fans.

VF is a strange bird, its doesn't have all of pyrotechnics, whirlwinds, power ups, super moves like the other arcade fighting games (e.g MK, SF, SC, and Tekken) but because of its launchers and juggling it doesn't really appeal to the majority of combat sport players. So its in the middle not really an arcade fighter and not really a combat sport game like (THQ's or EA's UFC)

If I'm being brutally honest, I think if Virtua Fighter is ever really going to get an audience as big as or bigger than Tekken, SF, MK etc, that it will have to choose sides.
      Either be a better Tekken than Tekken by adding fireballs, whirlwinds, explosions, trick characters, power ups, meters etc. Or leave the 2D and 2.5D arcade fighting world behind and go after the combat sport audience. Which is way bigger. Tekken sold a couple of million units in its first 8 or 9 months. UFC 2009 sold almost 4 million units in that same amount of time:cool:

I'm not saying that VF should become a UFC game, I'm saying that the combat sports gamers are different gamers than the arcade fighter gamers, and there are a lot more combat sport gamers;) Maybe VF should go after that crowd:oops:

If the goal is to really get a large permanent following as opposed to a temporary uptick in players, maybe VF should just move over to the larger gaming community called combat sports. The UFC games, Boxing games, Wrestling Games, Def Jam Games, sell millions of more copies than the arcade fighting games. And the fans tend to be extremely loyal and dedicated.

I know this is not a popular position on VFDC, but I think VF should go more in the direction of realism than in the direction of action fantasy:holla:. Convert the animations for the launchers and juggles into stumble, stagger, and stun animations and call it a day. And then market it as a combat sport game to a much wider audience.

If you go back and read all the original brouhaha about VF, it was being marketed as a realistic martial arts simulator!!!! Of course it still ran in arcades, but it was the most realistic fighting game of its time. Thats one of the things that still distinguishes it from Tekken and DOA. Its not only the balance, its the realism in its presentation.

Listen I play Tekken 6 and DOA5LR from time to time also. I agree that DOA6 is trash. And Tekken 7 has just come out of the closet to be what its always wanted to be.
      But I also put heavy hours into THQ's UFC Undisputed 3 and EA's UFC 3 and I'm here to tell you that if you discount VF's launchers and juggling, VF is a lot closer to those games than it is to Tekken 6 and DOA5LR.

Or put it another way, if I took the UFC Fighters out of the octagon, put them in different kinds of clothes and made them fight in VF type stages then the similarity would be obvious. They would look a lot like a VF game just without the launching and floating animations:ROTFL:

On the other hand if the goal is not to dramatically grow the VF community, then Sega/AM2 should leave VF as is, and add two more characters (Wing Chun, Tai Chi), two more stages, update the graphics and the music and just keep on ticking with a small but dedicated community:LOL:

With its clean and realistic presentation VF is never going to keep the Tekken, DOA, SC, MK SF fans happy. At best they'll engage in a temporary fling with VF(6 months to a year at most). The only real chance for VF to get a dramatically larger following is to move even more in the direction of innovative realism, push the boundaries and go after the combat sports crowd:)
      Last edited: Feb 27, 2020