1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What if Bamco made the next VF?

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Dec 4, 2018.

By Myke on Dec 4, 2018 at 3:10 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    During the Tekken World Tournament 2018 finals stream, Tekken director and producer Katushiro Harada made an interesting comment to the effect that, even if SEGA gave them the VF license and dev team, the hardcore VF community would still reject the game just by seeing the Bandai Namco on the startup screen. So, do you agree?

ClRb6NHUsAEkKfj.jpg

Thanks to twitter user @Flying_Wonkey for the screen grab and translation:

And a reference to the twitch stream:

If Harada's comments about directing a new VF title sound familiar, and being aware of the likely reactions from the fanbase, that's because they should! Some months ago Harada was interviewed by HipHopGamer and was asked about integrating VF into Tekken, and he indicated that he'd much prefer the chance to direct a new Virtua Fighter game, rather than introduce characters from one franchise into the other, because the fans from either community probably wouldn't be on board with the other's game system.

So, where do you stand on this issue? If the VF license and development team were to come across to Bamco and put in the charge of Harada, would you outright reject it, or give it an honest chance? I suppose it comes down to your willingness to trust the direction of someone like Harada given his history with Tekken. Yes, Tekken is widely popular around the world but, aesthetically, fundamentally and philosophically, the two franchises are worlds apart.

Don't ask for him for shit... because you just might get it?! ;)

nou, adamYUKI, Jason Elbow and 2 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      I dunno. Judging game by logo of developer sounds stupid, dosn't it?

If Harada will make new VF and it will be Virtua Fighter and not Tekken Fighter nor Virtua Tekken, I do not have any problem with it. In fact, quite contrary - I will be superhappy to have new Virtua Fighter to play.

And lets be honest. If nothing else, Bamco is definitelly good when it come to all those pro tours and official tourneys and overall support of scene and community.
      PurpGuy likes this.
    2. ShinyBrentford
      ShinyBrentford
      Isn't FS pretty much virtua tekken anyway?
      PurpGuy and Lygophilia like this.
    3. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      VF5FS is still godlike... Tekken 7 is just good.
      PurpGuy likes this.
    4. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      Interested to hear more about this, I'm a VF noob compared to many here.
      PurpGuy likes this.
    5. El_Twelve
      El_Twelve
      I'd be happy with Harada giving VF a shot because he has a deep respect for VF, and he also has a good grasp of what gamers in general like. VF's big problem outside Japan has always been pushing through to mainstream, and Harada is someone who might be able to get it over the line.

If he can get hold of former Sega staff to work on it and promote it that way, I think many people will be very accepting of it.

Bandai Namco logo pissing people off? I think Sega has done far worse over the years. At this point I'll be happy to get a new VF game at all.
      GustavoHeisenberg, PurpGuy and -nero- like this.
    6. Jacko
      Jacko
      This sounds like the people who cry and feel like Final Fantasy games aren’t truly “FF games” anymore because they see the SquareENIX logo instead of SquareSOFT. Sadly, Harada has a valid point that it would be rejected because of the logo and to be quite honest, it would feel so weird. However, if it did incorporate the dev team from Virtua Fighter 4 series and it implemented mechanics from that series, then I’d be on board.
    7. ShinyBrentford
      ShinyBrentford
      FS is VF with tekken combos.
      WolfKing, BLACKSTAR and PurpGuy like this.
    8. ShinyBrentford
      ShinyBrentford
      While I agree that Harada a great promoter, but fighting game wise he tends to just rip off other fighting games mechanics. If somebody can think of one thing tekken did that other fighting games didn't do first please chime in, cause right now I'm coming up with a brain fart.
      Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    9. Dragonps
      Dragonps
      As I said on twitter so long as the fighting system was intact and the core structure of VF remained, then I wouldn't really have a problem with it.
      GustavoHeisenberg and PurpGuy like this.
    10. Combolammas
      Combolammas
      I guess being a Namco game would mark and end of and era but also the beginning of a new one. As things are all we have is an end of and era with nothing to look forward to.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, chances are it's a duck. If Namco would not screw up what makes VF feel like VF, then I'd be happier with a new game made by Namco than no new game at all.
      WolfKing and PurpGuy like this.
    11. SUGATA
    12. Jacko
      Jacko
      I just find it funny everyone’s walk stance is a crab walk. They’ve been reusing the same animations since Tekken 1.
      WolfKing and PurpGuy like this.
    13. MarlyJay
      MarlyJay
      Yep. Feels that way to me.
      BLACKSTAR, ShinyBrentford and PurpGuy like this.
    14. Libertine
      Libertine
      I wouldn't mind it, but don't call it Virtua Fighter 6.

Also, if it ends up selling badly, can we put to rest the idea that VF would be more popular if it had a story mode?
    15. Technocrow
      Technocrow
      As long as it's in the same vain as the originals I would be down. I think back to when Bandai made Smash Bros for the Wii U. Sure it had the same director as it always had, but even with a different development team it still had the same quality as its predecessors.
      PurpGuy likes this.
    16. PurpGuy
      PurpGuy
      Okay so on the converse, Ninja Gaiden III: same team, new director. Did it live up to its predecessor?

Maybe some fans would hate seeing Bamco on VF. Just as many, if not more, would be happy to see new life in our beloved franchise. And it would probably even attract new players to VF for just that name.

Well IMO tekken and VF are too different to really compare or integrate. I'd have more faith in Team Ninja doing VF6.
    17. Myke
      Myke
      Put Bamco aside and let's get real for a second: even if SEGA themselves released a new VF, there will undoubtedly be so-called "hardcore fans" who will hate on it, simply for the pure reason that it's not like a previous VF, or that it went downhill ever since Yu Suzuki was no longer involved, or since the introduction of the E button and uneven stages, or the removal of the E button and uneven stages, or... you get my point. There's a tonne of historical evidence in this very forum that supports this, so don't even try to argue with me on this one. Just don't. :mad::LOL:

Granted, that's not the same as rejecting the game because of which company ends up directing and publishing it, one has to remember and accept the old adage: you can't please all the people all the time.

So straight off the bat, any new project, development or venture to market carries with it an amount of risk and Harada's comment reflects one of those risks (brand loyalty/bias). But, does he not feel Bamco could easily mitigate that risk? Does he not believe in the power of his own brand? Bamco essentially have the global 3D fighting game market in the palm of its hand right now, so why would balk at an opportunity like this, as hypothetical as it is, by loyalty-shaming its hardcore fans?

Or is it just a cop out because he doesn't have the directive chops to do it the justice he thinks it truly deserves?

As for where I stand on the matter, I'm with @Combolammas and others in this thread who have said that so long as the end product remains true to what makes VF "VF", then I really couldn't give a f*ck which company's logo appears on the start-up screen. In other words, if I did end up rejecting it, it wouldn't be because of a company logo, it would be because the end product was a pile of shit.
      masterpo, Coroo, Liquid_MAX and 7 others like this.
    18. BLACKSTAR
      BLACKSTAR
      This ^^^^
      Coroo likes this.
    19. BLACKSTAR
      BLACKSTAR
      Looks like nobody answered your question xD

I really like Harada, but Tekken guy making VF sounds like the worst idea ever, i thought that would be just the plainly obvious common sense response, but I guess not.
      MadeManG74, ToyDingo, PurpGuy and 2 others like this.