1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Throws help

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Aze_ITA, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Aze_ITA

Aze_ITA Member

Hey guys, maybe (for sure) this stuff has already been discussed somewhere else, but please be patient.. even the dojo section can be hard to read for a newbie like me. So my question is about throws. They can be "normal" throws (p+g) or "command" throws (p+g+direction/specific command). And they can be broken with (p+g), normal ones, and (p+g+reverse direction) command ones. But.. the throws themself, normal and command, are identical in their startup, and they only can be broken with their specific break (p+g doesn't break command ones, and viceversa). So how the hell can you break them? You guess their type as you see the throw animation starting? Or do you actually have the reflexes to see and react in that sooo little window? I'm doing exercise having recorded all type of throws, and playing them randomly in the free command dojo, but men, how can a human being be so fast? Is there a way to identify them from their startup? In Tekken you can break throws, but it's certanly more easy, you have more time to do it, and throws doesn't have the importance that they got in VF. So.. if i want to learn to play, i need to know how to defend myself and break them, but is it really that hard, or am i missing something? How can you recognize throw's types, and decide which break input give? Thanks guys if you want to give a hand, i'm spending a good amount of time doing practice but this thing is driving me mad..

2. WolfKing

WolfKing Well-Known Member

PSN:
    HotRod666
    Dude. In final showdown there are 3 types of throws. P+G , →P+G and ←P+G.
    You have to guess what input you have to keep pressed do escape the throw. It's called "lazy throw escape". You can only keep one direction pressed, therefore you have one chance in three to be sucessful.
    In vf you cannot "react" to the throw, you have to " guess".
    Hope I could help.

3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Important for newer players to remember is that in VF the best way to deal with throws isn't to escape them. You'll only ever have a 1 in 3 chance or need a good prediction for that.
    If you're sure the opponent is going to attempt a throw you should attempt to beat the throw with an attack. Either use a fast attack to force your opponent to stay frame tight, or use the biggest normal hit launcher you have to go for damage.

By all means use the throw escapes, but if you get a read on your opponent throwing its best to decide to attack.

Kruza, Tricky and WolfKing like this.
  4. Ares-olimpico

Ares-olimpico Well-Known Member Content Manager Lion

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    @Aze_ITA There are no much more to say: you need to guess. But reminds you only need too guess at 6 frames of disadvantage, with , -2 or -3 you can press down briefly and release at time to guard a mid hit, with -4 and ,5 you need to do crouching dash cancel guard sound horrible but is only 33g (diagonal forward-down twice and a bit delay and press guard) this tech is called fuzzy. Example: you press p and your opponent guard you have 2frames of advantage then you try elbow usually with 6p and you opponent guard again now you are at ,-5 ( 5 frames of disadvantage) no problem do 33g and you avoid both the throw or the mid
    In my experience beginners try normal throw most of the times better players like forward throw in some point of the way we love backward throws like opponent can't escape it after we think my x-direction throw is the most damaging I will always go for it and found that good player know the direction to avoid more-damaging-throws of all the cast and return to guess but more funny.
    There are more advanced tech but for now is better: guess and if you think your opponent will throw you use the big launcher.
    If you need more help about something tell us we are very happy NEW FIGHTER LEARNING OUR LOVING GAME
    Sorry Marly I'm writing with mobile while your post arrive I duplicate some things

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Aze_ITA and WolfKing like this.
  5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Have a read of the Throw Escapes wiki page, and in particular the section on Throw Escape Techniques which will hopefully address most of your questions.

WolfKing likes this.
  6. Aze_ITA

Aze_ITA Member

Guys thank you so much, i didn't expect so much responses. And mostly, i'm happy that i was wrong about thinking that throwns could be "broken", and instead they should be "guessed". That's the reason why i'm enjoin learning VF i think, that everything has to be thinked and not just learned mechanicaly. I will go deep inside your suggestions, you're a gold mine, and @Myke i'm going right now checking the wiki page you mentioned

oneida likes this.
  7. Ares-olimpico

Ares-olimpico Well-Known Member Content Manager Lion

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    @Myke and @Aze_ITA @MarlyJay About Side Throw Escape in my opinion the explanation in the game and some in this page is weird and dificult to apply. I think is easier to explain based on your opponent position and apply this two rules:
    foreground (outside the screen) then press forward direction, your opponent background (deeper in the screen) press bacward when your opponent move to your side
    if you see your back press forward if not backwardo when you get hit by a circular attack

Sorry como decia Celia Cruz my English is not very good looking

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  8. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Outside and deeper in the screen? What?

Do you mean foreground and back ground? I don't get what you mean at all. Seriously, i don't see how sidethrow escapes can be explained clearer than what's in the wiki.

Ares-olimpico likes this.
  9. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Side throw is literally what you said at the end Ares, If you see your own front, break back. If you see your back, break front. Remember you're still -2 after breaking it ;)

Stl_Tim likes this.
  10. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I remember side throw break directions by paying attention to which arm of my body is getting grabbed. If my left arm is getting grabbed then it's a left side break, if my right arm is getting grabbed it's a ride side break.

11. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Throws with with directional imputs and those without are both considered Normal Throws in VF. This stems from the fact that they execute in 10 frames.The concept of "Commands Throws" comes from Tekken I believe. Although there are 5 different types of throws. Standing, Low, Ground, Hit (a throw that animates after certain successful attack) and Catch (a throw that with enough plus frames can eat a attack and can't be broken).

Ares-olimpico and Aze_ITA like this.
  12. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    And with breaking Side Throws, here's the easy way Jami San taught me. If you are facing TOWARDS the screen break AWAY from the opponent. If you're facing AWAY from the screen break TOWARDS the opponent. This way it doesn't matter if you are on P1 or P2 side it's the same.

Ares-olimpico likes this.
  13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    What if you don't see your front or back? What if the opponent OMs to your front or back? Then what? ;)

This handy "reverse rule" (front > back, back > front) only works if you are sideturned (by an attack, for example), but fails when the opponent shifts to your side.

My advice for those learning to side throw escape consistently is to try differentiating between your character's left and right side in 3D space, no matter your or the opponent's orientation. Sometimes your character's costume can help too (e.g. sleeveless on one side, sword on the left or right hip, etc).

To practice in training mode, choose Jacky as the CPU and record the following actions:
    1. [P][+][K][+][G] > [K][+][G] > [P][+][G]
    2. OM background > [P][+][G]
    3. OM foreground > [P][+][G]
    Now set all actions to play randomly and stand there holding [G] but if you see the Jacky's Switch Stance ([P][+][K][+][G]) then release [G] so that the [K][+][G] hits you. The Switch Stance is necessary so that you're not always going to be in the default stance (i.e. spin the same way) when the [K][+][G] hits.

So after the [K][+][G] hit, or you see an OM, then hold [G] and enter (left) [4][P][+][G] or (right) [6][P][+][G] corresponding to your opponent's left or right side. Change to 2P side via the training menu and repeat.

Jason Elbow, MarlyJay, Kruza and 2 others like this.
  14. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Guess I never had to think about that since my brain did it for me automatically... Young people are so advantaged in fighting games lol

WolfKing and Ares-olimpico like this.
  15. Tricky

It's all about practice.

16. Seminasuke

Seminasuke Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Seminasuke
    Just escape in the direction based on your character's perspective. Never thought that'd be difficult to learn, but I guess everyone's mind works different.

SHH.

Stl_Tim likes this.
  17. Tricky

It's still hard to capitalize on the advantage sine many throw breaks leave you so far from the opponent from side turn.

18. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Is this defensive drill in the wiki?