1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Vanessa - Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by MakiLeSushi, Mar 7, 2013.

1. droy900

droy900 Member

Yo that's dope . Looks like I was right to go through the guides in the forum, watch lots of matches and training mode all the characters I'm interested in until I settled on Van.
    thank you I'll start asking questions a bit more often now since my stick was busted and I just fixed it so I can play again .

MakiLeSushi likes this.
  2. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    If I may allowed to complement @MakiLeSushi's advice:
    For the differences between DS and OS @acebreaker's Introduction to VF5FS Vanessa is the best place to start.

As for what makes a Vanessa player good, well, that's very subjective. A results oriented answer would be "getting 1st place in tournaments". Another answer could be "same thing any good VF player has: good fundamentals". There's also the oft-mentioned in the shoutbox "don't get hit" advice.

That said, an argument could be made that, given Vanessa's movelist is twice as long due to her two styles, familiarization with all of her options should be considered a priority.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Ellis, droy900 and MakiLeSushi like this.
  3. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    I could have sworn that the combo list had a combo for DS [4][6][P][+][K] near walls but apparently it's empty. On normal hit it has the same hit effect as OS [4][P][+][K] ("blast back"), so it should also allow for near-the-wall comboing, right? Any ideas for what works in these situations?

4. Mech

Mech Active Member

Maki come back :(

5. blitzik

blitzik New Member

I'm level 22 and finding it tough to progress. Trying to get used to Vane's entire movelist has been difficult, but now that I'm more familiar I'm heavily favoring OS. Are there any general tips (outside of DS sabaki moves) for stopping my opponents offense, ESPECIALLY Akira?

6. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    @blitzik OS doesn't have any sabaki or reversals HOWEVER:
    • If your Akira opponent incorporates low punch in their offense (let's say after moves that are slightly positive on block such as [4][6][P] or the [2][1][4][P] overhead) then OS [9][P] works.
    • If your Akira opponent is rushing you down with linear attacks (such as elbows or shoulder ram) then evade > [6][6][K][+][G] works.
    • If your Akira opponent is rushing you down with high attacks (such as jab, [4][6][P] or guard break) then ducking > [6][P][+][K] works. Feel free to use a slower launcher if you feel confident.
    • If your Akira opponent is relying on moves with pushback that are hard to properly punish (double palm, bodycheck) then you might want to consult @MakiLeSushi 's video on how to punish Akira.
    Judicious use of jab/low punch abare also helps ;)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  7. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  8. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    The game stores backdash status if you get hit (CH) out of a move cancelled from backdash. Godel made a thread about it I think.

erdraug likes this.
  9. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    MarlyJay likes this.