1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Vanessa - Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by MakiLeSushi, Mar 7, 2013.

1. leftylizard

leftylizard Well-Known Member

XBL:
    blue mouthwash
    thanks.

MakiLeSushi likes this.
  2. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    OK, here's an answer to a question nobody has asked yet: in order to avoid getting a DS WS [P] when ducking and punishing, you can input vane's jab as [4][P][+][K][+][G]. Other characters that have from crouch or while standing [P] inputs can input jab as [P][+][K][+][G] or even [6][P][+][K][+][G] but Vanessa has commands assigned to those inputs so she has to use [4][P][+][K][+][G].

This information might not seem relevant but remember: DS vanessa does not have a fast move that will float on NH. If you think your opponent might recover faster than [3][P][+][K] then all of a sudden duck-and-punish with [4][P][+][K][+][G][K] becomes really important.

So, for example: imagine that you are playing online vs autopilot Goh. You block the first hit then duck the second hit of goh's [3][P][P] while in DS. If you try to [3][P][+][K] it might blocked or even low punched due to lag; if you try to [P][K] afterwards you'd get vane's DS [P] ; but if you input [4][P][+][K][+][G][K] you'd get the normal [P][K] punish.

Also, for the record, [1] or [2] or [3] [P][+][K][+][G] will always give a low punch. Can't find a useful application for that information though. Any ideas?

EDIT: realized it can be useful during floats.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    in a neutral situation (not buffered with no frame adv) inputting 2P as [2][P][+][K][+][G] will actually come out faster. I suppose that's the use.

4. Kikimaru

Kikimaru Well-Known Member

PSN:
    kikimaru024
    What's good to do after I score a knockdown? OS/DS

5. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    That depends on what you knocked them down with, as that determines how much time you have. It also depends on how much of a risk you're willing to take.

6. EvenPit

EvenPit Well-Known Member Content Manager Eileen

Hey I'm not looking to use Vanessa, but I just have a question about her sabakis I've been getting blown up by them so can anyone just quickly list all here sabakis and a brief description on what they are used for? There are a couple that I see often that beat out a lot of my poking tools so thanks in advance.

Craigbot likes this.
  7. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    In DS, [4][6][K] sabakis high and mid punches and elbows. [4][6][P][+][K] Sabakis high and mid kicks, sidekicks and knees. [1][P] Sabakis low punchs and low kicks. It also ducks highs from the first frame. It no longer sabakis sweeps or low double kicks.

From he intercept position (lying down stance), [P][+][K] sabakis low punches. I don't think it does low kicks.

EvenPit and Craigbot like this.
  8. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    It does to low kicks too only linears (not sure for semi circular), exemple akira or wolf on wake up kick when they slide or any low kicks, the sabaki works...

Ellis and Craigbot like this.
  9. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Happy New Years fellow VFers!

Excuse me for bothering you but i am away from home and unable to test this myself: according to MarlyJay's post DS [4][6][K] does not sabaki HK in this version. Is that true? Can anyone else confirm? If so i'll have to edit a LOT of my posts starting with this one.

10. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    I confirm, it doesn t

11. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Ouch. A lot of editing to do :(

Plus the move loses some (more) of its appeal :(

12. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    New question: is anything guaranteed after DS [4][P] side NH? I remember trying [P][K] but i couldn't get it to connect.

13. G_A

G_A Well-Known Member

The last part of this video may interest some people here.
    Personally I already got tricked by the DS "Holding G" 2P.

Courtesy of Acebreaker.

MarlyJay likes this.
  14. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

In the middle of the ring nothing I guess :(
    Near walls with the lessen pushback you may be able to connect P --> wall stagger or PK if the angle is not good for the first option.

15. G_A

G_A Well-Known Member

Well, in the Pekora combo, KK is used, but the combo counter is reseted. But you may not be able to escape it.

16. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Yesterday i was playing offline vs Kage and, if i'm not mistaken, i back-crumpled him with OS [6][6][P] :eek: Was i dreaming? Is that supposed to happen? Is it consistent? Should OS [6][6][P] become my default move when the opponent is BT?

17. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I would say that the answer is: no. I tested a bit and apparently OS 66P CAN cause backcrumple if it CH''s a big enough move, ie. does enough damage.

Counterhit bonus depends on the damage of the move being interrupted. I tested with Jacky doing a backturned flipkick and I CH'ed with Vane OS 66P = backcrumple.
    I tried countering kage BT P+K and BT 7K = no backcrumple.

So backcrumple with OS 66P only happens against certain moves, so I would say you shouldn't try to make it your 'default move' in such situations.

18. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    That's... very weird :confused: I'll stick with OS [3][K] and [6][6][K][+][G] then.

Thank you for testing Manji!

EDIT: Manji did some additional testing and discovered that, apparently, when BT moves that remain BT are counterhit, they produce a back-crumple. That's actually useful information that should probably be added to the wiki.

Now, the reason why OS [6][6][P] produces said back-crumple is not known. It doesn't produce a side-crumple under any circumstances. However, it's possible that, because in VF5 vanilla the move used to back-stagger, now that back-stagger no longer exists the developers probably replaced the obsolete back-stagger property with a (much better) back-crumple. Thank you devs!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  19. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    So i was in the dojo confirming Manji's findings about BT back-crumples mentioned in the previous post: did anyone knew that when DS BT [2][P][+][K][+][G] results into a true low punch, similar to Turn Low straight (OS BT [2][P]) instead of the regular mid Turn Defensive Elbow (DS BT [2][P]) ?!?!?!

EDIT: failed attempt at an April Fool's joke :) Would have been awesome though.

That said, speaking of BT, interestingly enough in VF5FS OS BT [2][K][+][G] is full circular, contrary to every other previous version (when it used to be half circular).

Also, another oddity, DS BT [2][K] -5/-1/+3 whereas OS BT [2][K] is -6 across the board, despite having the same animation :confused: Even the damage is different (22 vs 18).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  20. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Also moves that turn the character backturned will likely cause backcrumple when interrupted. It appears that if a move turns character back or forward, it does so from the first frame onwards. (thanks to Combolammas) So the reason some backturned moves don't produce back crumple when interrupted, is because they have already turned the character forward..