1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF terms mega thread

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Pai_Garu, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Ok, this is the thread where you post a term you want defined regarding VF, and I will define it (unless someone beats me to it, which is something that I want any of you guys to do). I saw some other people asking about terms, I thought we just keep it in one place.

You're encouraged to add anything you might think it's relevant or ask questions. It might spawn some discussions that will prove useful to split into separate discussions.

If there's ANYTHING that you're not clear about, feel free to ask please!

ETEG - Stands for Evade Throw Escape Guard. An advanced defensive technique to avoid common nitaku situations by combining an evade with one or more throw escapes. Executed by evading and pressing multiple throw escapes before the evade animation ends.

Nitaku - Literally means "two choices." It means a situation where you have enough advantage on the opponent where he/she cannot avoid a throw attempt by crouching. It's a situation where it's very difficult for your opponent to defend both a fast mid and a throw, thus named nitaku, or "two choices."

Reverse Nitaku - Attacking out of disadvantage, forcing your opponent into a reversed guessing game between attacking or guarding.

Sabaki - A property for certain attacks which allows it to maintain priority over other attacks which it sabaki's. A good example is Goh's 3P+K which sabaki's elbow class attacks.

Yomi - Japanese term literally meaning 'read'. (By _optimus_) Ability to read your opponent, actions/intentions etc, "knowing your enemy."

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Before anyone posts, I recommend checking out the VF4 Evo Glossary put together by Darius Cole (with some edits from me). It can be found under the VF4 System page along with many other useful documents.

The terms here, and many others, are defined within the Glossary. But if you can't find something in the Glossary, then by all means post here.

3. PurpGuy

PurpGuy Well-Known Member

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    What is yomi?

4. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

Ability to read your opponent, actions/intentions etc, "knowing your enemy",
    yay I got to answer one! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

5. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

thanks opti, i put it up on top for you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

6. ChiefGutti

ChiefGutti Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ChiefGutti
    XBL:
    ChiefGuttiWolf
    I can try to list a few important terms used by the Japanese. There are a lot more, but these are frequently used:

1. Nitaku - In a situation where you have advantage, your attack will beat their attack while your throw will beat their evade. It's basically a 50/50 option where you have the pressure.

2. Gyaku Nitaku - Reversed Nitaku - In this case, you are at the receiving disadvantaged end where you would input an attack or powerful launch to beat your opponents attempt at getting you with a throw when he's in advantage position.

3. Abare - An action where you would attack when you are in a disadvantage situation. Say you get counter hit low punched. The opponent goes into a throw where you press punch to interrupt.

4. Kakutei - When a move is guaranteed, like after blocking certain moves or dodging to the side.

5. Kusshin - Fuzzy guard, which is the art of exploiting the time it takes to crouch and get back up in order to crouch an incoming throw, but still manage to rise back up in time to block an eventual incoming mid hit.

6. Sake - Dodge

7. Senkou Nyuuryoku - Pre-input, or Buffering of moves. In Evo and FT you could buffer moves 11/12 frames in advance.

8. Sosai - Clash, which is part of the new system to VF5

9. Nage = Throw

10. Nagenuke = Throw escape

11. Sakenagenuke = Evade throw escape

12. ETEG (English) Evade Throw Escape Guard - Sakenagenuke guard (Japanese), which is the ability to do throw escapes while evading and guarding after that to guard against possible delay attacks or strings from the opponent. Pressing the guard also prevents your throw animations to come out after the dodge.

13. Dageki nagenuke - Attack throw escape. Usually done by doing low punch or any quick attack and immediately inputting throw escapes. This low punches an eventual delay attack and escapes a guaranteed throw.

14. Hit kakunin - Hit confirmation, checking if the moves is blocked, gets normal or counter hit.

15. Ooyan - ARE (All round escape), the special secret technique. Search it up here, you'll find info on it I presume.

16. Tokujou - A high move which is special high. Can be ducked, but would beat any attack attempt.

17. Soudatsusen - Prize battle

18. Shougou - Rank or Title

19. Doudansen - Same rank battle

20. Toorina - The extra style rank you had in FT. Throws, attacks, combos etc.

21. Reach means "one away from winning", so anyone who has 2 rounds in best out of 5 match is "reaching" - Submitted by raoul

Anyhow, there are plenty more, but I think these are frequently used. Sorry if some didn't make sense. I'm nowhere near top player.

7. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

I think we should try to keep these terms in English as much as possible. It's nothing personal, but for a thread as fundamental as this, using the most immediate language possible is key.

8. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

TTT -Stands for Throw Escape Throw. It happens more often than it should especially in Ohio where the person in a disadvantaged situation messes up his ETEG or TEG and end up getting a throw on the waiting opponent. It sucks when it happens to you. Be wary of fake claims from some thick-skinned people that the throw was totally out of yomi.

more to come if you like this one

9. PurpGuy

PurpGuy Well-Known Member

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    Don't forget American Step (also common in Ohio) where you simply walk up and throw your opponent who somehow never sees it coming.

10. ChiefGutti

ChiefGutti Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ChiefGutti
    XBL:
    ChiefGuttiWolf
    Yes, I see what you mean. I only copy and pasted this post from another thread where someone had asked about various Japanese terms widely used. Srider asked me to paste it into this thread, so that's why it's here. I'll remove it if feels inappropriate.

11. durden

durden Member

I curious about the meaning of OM

12. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Offensive Move (OM)
    Command: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    This is the new evading movement introduced in VF5, helpful for exposing your opponent's side to an attack. It can be combined with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif for two styles of OM attack.

Defensive Move (DM)
    Command: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif
    Previously known as just an Evade or Dodge in VF4. There are two types of DMs -- successful or failed, depending on the action of your opponent. All DMs can be combined with a single type of attack using /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, which is equivalent to the VF4 style Evade Attacks (evade/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif). You can also turn a DM into an OM by pressing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif.

In the VFDC Command Lists, the OM and DM attacks are listed as:

(defensive move) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    (offensive move) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    (offensive move) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

13. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

Oh, don't get me wrong, I appreciate it. It's just that I think explaining everything in English is better because it keeps things less abstract for everyone. It's much easier to memorize terms that reference a language you already understand, etc.

14. antpod

antpod New Member

You should put stuff like buffer, state attacks, ect in there.

Good work btw

15. flyinsyco

flyinsyco Member

What is a 'Whiff'? And can some explain what the difference between a minor combo and another one?

16. LegendsEnd

LegendsEnd New Member

What's BT and tech roll (Is it just the Up+G/Down+G rolls)? Also what's the Orange Arrow as opposed to White Arrow mean? I Thought it meant hold but looking at the combolist for Aoi one of them has two ->Orange + Punch commands in a row which would indicate hopping twice.

17. ZSS

ZSS Well-Known Member

A whiff occurs when an attack or a throw doesn't connect with your opponent for spatial reasons (eg. high punch will whiff above a ducking character or a throw will whiff if you're out of range). Whiffed move continues through its recovery phase, leaving the character at a big disadvantage. Every attack that connects with a character during their recovery is considered a minor counter, never heard of a minor combo though.

BT = back turned and tech roll = instant rolling recovery (down or up+P+K+G). A good source for some terms explanation is also GLC's abbreviations guide.

18. flyinsyco

flyinsyco Member

19. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

ZSS:
    Maybe the word minor combo is simply the antithesis of a big one. In that a Big combo starts with a launcher (Counterhit or not) and takes about a quarter+ of a life bar.

Then maybe a minor combo is stuff like Goh's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif or the like (uhm, that stuff works in Evo, does it still cause float in 5?). Floats that are so low you can only do a little extra damage.

Just a wild guess though, but I can't think it could be much else.

20. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I think there was a mistake in the document you read or you're rememberering the wrong word. I've never seen minor combo in an FAQ. As far as I know, the opportunity to perform minor counters exists when you've blocked something with enough recovery time that you can hit your opponent with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif or better and there's nothing they can do to stop it. If the recovery is bad enough, like Akira's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, you can perform a minor-counter combo if you have a launcher that works on normal hit.