1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF terms mega thread

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Pai_Garu, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Having a large active frame window is generally seen as a good thing, and not negative in any way.

If a fictional move had 100 active frames, and if it's in range, then it'll be making contact with the opponent on the very first frame. If the opponent hasn't reversed or sabaki by the first active frame, then they'll be hit. The remaining 99 frames just end up doing nothing, and doesn't render the move any more open than normal.

In other words, if you're in range (and you'd have to be in order to reverse/sabaki/etc), then it's impossible to be reversing or sabaki on, say, frame no. 58. The 57 frames before it would have already hit you.

2. DancingFighterG

DancingFighterG Well-Known Member

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. Interesting!! So for example Brad's P+K is 16 frames compared to his other elbow which is 14 frames but the active frames for P+K is 6 compared to the other elbow is 3. So pretty much even though P+K is 16 frames the active frames are bigger thus with enough advantage you could use P+K to out hit 2P. The reason why I'm curious about this because I was fighting Goh last weekend in a gathering and it was amazing how well I was able to use P+K to interrupt his 2P after I threw out 2P and he blocked it. And the cool thing is that the move hit on CH.

3. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Umm I think that's your friends fault for not taking advantage fast enough of you being at -5 after a blocked low punch.

A lot of players do it, even the best.

If you did blocked low punch and then /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif with brad.

add 5 frames of lag after blocked low punch
    your move exe in 16 frames
    = 19 frames to get the move out.

Your opponent probably didn't time his counter attack right and because of that ate the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

4. DancingFighterG

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. So based of what Myke said moves with high active frames can be good against sabaki and and reversals then. What other situation would a high active move would be good for?

5. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    The more active frames an attack have increases the window the attack can still register as a "hit."

For example, take Pai's

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - 17 frames to execute, 4 active frames; thus, the attack can still register as a "hit" from 17-21 frames.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - 17 frames to execute, 6 active frames; thus, the attack can still register as a "hit" from 17-23 frames.

Imagine that you do either move while the opponent is out of range of the move. He dashes in, such that at the 22nd frame he is range of your attack. At the 22nd frame, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif will not register as a hit (in other words, a whiffed attack), while /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif will register as a hit.

6. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    No, that's not what I'm saying. In regards to reversals and sabaki, I was saying that the length of the active window didn't make a difference at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What other situation would a high active move would be good for? </div></div>
    Further to what akai wrote, large active windows on attacks that do 21pts of damage or more lend themselves well to crushing rising attacks. The larger active window just makes it easier to time your attack colliding with their rising attack.

This is the same concept as a meaty attack in 2D fighting games, especially on opponents that are rising from a knockdown.

7. SHwoKing

SHwoKing Well-Known Member

Excatly what Myke said, moves with 21 damage and over with long act frames are useful to crush rising kicks.

This is why Brad's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif [+] /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is his main move to crush rising kicks, use it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

8. DancingFighterG

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. I see. Once Myke replied that exactly what I though ShwoKing. Thanks guys. Really helped a lot on when to use this move.

9. Makatiel

Makatiel Well-Known Member

Looking over the VF wiki, I think the term "slam" should include not only "slams" and "flops" but also "slam downs" like Goh's 6p,p, Lei's 46p, etc. on a floating opponent.

I'm not really a contributor (and I'm too lazy to actually contribute), but I thought I might as well bring it up for the board's consideration.

10. SpyderJerusalem

SpyderJerusalem New Member

Hey guys, what are people talking about when they say "Black Book Combos"?

11. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

The Black Book is a book that came out in Japan which had a lot of good detail on strategy, tactics, and the engine in VF5 version B.

Black Book Combos are combos that were listed in that book.

12. MCSquared

MCSquared Active Member

Can anyone explain side crumple to me? I've seen it listed for a few characters (I'm particularly interested in Akira's options). I know the term sounds pretty straight forward, but bare with me. ZOMG I get to play against a human opponent tonight! *tears of joy*

13. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
  14. Eckostyle

Eckostyle Member

When I see this:

"8P+K+G"

What does the number before the P mean?

15. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

It's the direction on the joystick you have to press (as if it was a numerical keypad on a keyboard) with regards to facing right.

8 = up
    4 = back
    6 = forward
    2 = down

The numbers around those 4 are the diagonals.

16. C1REX

C1REX Well-Known Member

To make it easier to understand. A keyboard on a cellphone.
    This is how you would use numeric keyboard to play fighting games.

17. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I don't think that makes it easier. The number pad on a cellphone is probably regional specific.

Every phone I've owned has been like this:

which is not the same as the number pad on a keyboard:

18. C1REX

C1REX Well-Known Member

You are right. My mistake.
    OK. Number pad on a PC Keyboard or a calculator is a better exapmple.