1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter x esports

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Sep 25, 2020.

By Myke on Sep 25, 2020 at 9:37 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Announced at TGS2020 as part of SEGA's 60th Anniversary is a new project titled "Virtua Fighter x esports". Little is known at this stage, but details on the project will be revealed in a future update. What do you think it could be?

Virtua Fighter x esports.jpg

The official announcement via twitter:

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Sep 25, 2020.

1. celsowm
    2. SSfox
      SSfox
      Now that Sony has bought Evo, i wonder if there is some discussion behind the scene with Sega related to next VF.
    3. JCnextinc
    4. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      Simple execution has been the goal of Virtua Fighter since it's inception. In the 20th Anniversary interviews he mentions wanting to remove all barriers between the player and their intended moves IIRC. Also, Yu Suzuki doesn't work for Sega anymore and hasn't worked on Virtua Fighter for 20 years, so while it's interesting to hear his thoughts, it probably won't impact the future of the series.
      JCnextinc and Tricky like this.
    5. VF2011
      VF2011
      I should certainly hope so. Yu Suzuki is completely out of touch with modern games as seen with Shenmue 3 and should have no input on any potential sequel.

Personally I hope they take VF5FS and built on that as I think it is the best version of the game.
    6. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      Yu Suzuki and Shenmue III is a whole other discussion, but I think that was more due to having a smaller team, smaller budget etc. Either way, he will likely not have input in VF's future since he left Sega quite some time ago.

I personally don't mind what they do with VF, as long we get the existing games ported too. That way even if we don't like it, we can each play our favourite version. :)
      beanboy and Pai~Chun like this.
    7. beanboy
      beanboy
      @JCnextinc
      In the article, he said "simplify and improve the controls and inputs." But yeah, I can see the concern. When I saw that line the first time I read that article, I was a bit worried too. Hopefully that doesn't mean simplifying the game for esports.

As for Harada saying/touting, that fans are requesting a VFxTekken etc which I find a bit strange, even though I have seen a few people on twitter, who claim to be VF fans, making that request,......me, I'd rather sega spend their money, making a real VF6 game, than use it to fund some silly crossover fighting game.

There have been too many cross over fighting games, for like over the past two decades. And there are alot of gamers out there, who are sick and tired of cross over fighting games. Like literally. We need a fighting game, that can stand on its own feet, without the need for cross overs.
      Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
      JCnextinc likes this.
    8. VF2011
      VF2011
      I don't think we can forgive Suzuki for the smaller budget. A smaller budget doesn't excuse the fact that the story goes nowhere. And if he didn't have the money then he should have just made a smaller game, not padded out the game with repetitive tasks like he did. Fans wanted a conclusion to the story and he gave us nothing but filler.

I don't agree with your idea of releasing the older games just because if they did that, it would split the community as everyone would just play their favourite, thereby killing all the games. Unless they released one every few months leading up to a new game, that could work to get people excited.

And regarding simple execution, I don't think that would necessarily be a bag thing. Akira's knee is hard to pull off, more so during a fight, but does that difficulty really add anything to the game? VF could make the moves easier to execute and the game would still be good since you would then be free to focus exclusively on the fight and trying to find an opening to punish your opponent.
    9. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      Let's take Shenmue discussion to the Shenmue thread;
      https://virtuafighter.com/threads/shenmue-iii-general-thread.21288/

I agree that execution hurdles aren't really something that makes Virtua Fighter special, and removing them is probably what the goal has been for some time under Suzuki at least. I know that low challenge execution is one of the things I love about Virtua Fighter.
    10. ICHIBANin10000
      ICHIBANin10000
      Yeah lets take it to the Shenmue thread so I can completely dismantle your shallow hot take on the greatest game of 2019. "Nothing happens in Shenmue 3" . BS, just because you don't like what happens doesn't mean nothing happened. Its just like Marvels Avengers, the ignorant hot take is that it has zero end game content. BS just because you don't like what endgame content that is there doesnt mean it doesn't exist.

As far as VF Exports goes, Im bracing myself for it to be a visually stunning yet mechanically watered down version of VF( even more so than FS) . I will still play it, yet loathe it for being a shadow of the greatness that VF once was. It's kind of like I tolerate Disney Star Wars, but only recognize Lucas-written sections of the saga as cannon.

Lowering the barrier of entry for VF X ES will bring on more players, but the lack of depth means they wont stay past the first few months. The Ritalin addled short attention span new generation will consume it and discard it in a few months. I'm already going retro to the old games like VF5 R and VF4 FT. The franchise's best days are behind it, much like Star Wars
      Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    11. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      I share your fears about what the gameplay could be, but I generally have faith in AM2.
      I will say that lower execution/barrier of entry doesn't always mean that the skill ceiling is any lower.

Virtua Fighter already has the lowest barrier of entry in terms of execution, but it's one of the deepest fighting games you can play. I always think back to chess or checkers, games that have no execution requirements an a low barrier of entry, but are very deep and extremely hard to master.
      beanboy likes this.
    12. JCnextinc
      JCnextinc
      Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
      Sonic The Fighters, def and SSfox like this.
    13. SSfox
      SSfox
      How ironic just yesterday i was thinking what a shame Sega never ported VF5 in ps4 and xbox one.

Fucking finally. It took them hundred years, but better late than never.
    14. VF2011
      VF2011
      Part of me is a bit disappointed that this means we probably won't be getting new character models or even new characters, but I'm ok with just a port. Final Showdown plays well and I have no problem keeping on playing it.
      beanboy and JCnextinc like this.
    15. def
      def
      I hope they add rollback netcode and a quest mode for starters. Other things I would like is be able to play any version of each stage and to have BGM be a bit more loose as in select a particular bgm based on character you face or stage you fight in like DOA/Tekken. Maybe more customization items/costumes too.
    16. SSfox
      SSfox
      Yeah at least VF is gonna come back in some way, and the game is still great i've no problem playing it more, specially if they improve netcode, and now i won't have to use my old PS3 just for this game.

Now i wonder if there will be some features added? netcode improvement? maybe new moves per characters? new characters? Some graphics update ? I really don't think it's way too hard to add at least 1 new character, as long as Sega still have some devs related to VF. If the game has new title i would expect at least some addition, even it's the smallest one like slight graphic update.

This could also be a test for Sega to see how much the game can succeed, if the success is there, and i think it will be, i don't think it will be crazy huge success since it's not proper new game but it will have some kind of success i believe, i think much more people will play and talk about VF, and if will be enough success based Sega, this will motivate them to make a brand new VF. But for now i really don't care much if it's new or not new game, i'm just glad to see VF finally back in some way and i won't have to use my old ps3 when i want to play VF5.
      Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
      Sonic The Fighters likes this.
    17. Tricky
      Tricky
      Everyone keeps saying port but the title isn't Final Showdown, it's Ultimate Showdown. It may be a revision of the game ya'll.
      beanboy, Shinobi, Sozos and 2 others like this.
    18. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      It's better be that way.

Because all that wait and that silent for only an exactly same port of VF5FS just for PS4 ? Big LOL.

At least give us the arcade version in 4k on every possible plateforms.
      Sozos, SSfox and Tricky like this.
    19. SSfox
      SSfox

With Sega it's better to always keep you expectations at the lowest possible level. But yeah with the game having new title, there should be at least some changes, even if it's the slightest one. Who knows what exactly the changes are gonna be, well see.
      Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    20. VF2011
      VF2011
      I didn't even think about the resolution, but you're right about 4K. Isn't VF5FS capped at something like 720p? They would need to make it 4k, otherwise it would be received negatively.
      Sonic The Fighters likes this.