1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What if Bamco made the next VF?

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Dec 4, 2018.

By Myke on Dec 4, 2018 at 3:10 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    During the Tekken World Tournament 2018 finals stream, Tekken director and producer Katushiro Harada made an interesting comment to the effect that, even if SEGA gave them the VF license and dev team, the hardcore VF community would still reject the game just by seeing the Bandai Namco on the startup screen. So, do you agree?

ClRb6NHUsAEkKfj.jpg

Thanks to twitter user @Flying_Wonkey for the screen grab and translation:

And a reference to the twitch stream:

If Harada's comments about directing a new VF title sound familiar, and being aware of the likely reactions from the fanbase, that's because they should! Some months ago Harada was interviewed by HipHopGamer and was asked about integrating VF into Tekken, and he indicated that he'd much prefer the chance to direct a new Virtua Fighter game, rather than introduce characters from one franchise into the other, because the fans from either community probably wouldn't be on board with the other's game system.

So, where do you stand on this issue? If the VF license and development team were to come across to Bamco and put in the charge of Harada, would you outright reject it, or give it an honest chance? I suppose it comes down to your willingness to trust the direction of someone like Harada given his history with Tekken. Yes, Tekken is widely popular around the world but, aesthetically, fundamentally and philosophically, the two franchises are worlds apart.

Don't ask for him for shit... because you just might get it?! ;)

nou, adamYUKI, Jason Elbow and 2 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      @Myke the problem of crushes being a thing in tekken vs VF is simple:

In VF, highs hits above (average character) neck. Lows hits behinf his knee. Mids in between. Being a developer and knowing all highs will hit above certain height while mids under, it is super simple to make colisions work properly withotu any crush system.

Contrary in Tekken, you have highs hitting below your knees. You have mids hitting above your head. You have lows hitting your waist. Hell, most highs and mids hits around the same level and you have no way how to tell which is which unless you have hard knowledge.
      Hardcoded crush system is neccessity in order to make the game work properly.

And this is why you need crush system in Tekken and why it is so laughable for VFers ;)

EDIT: This, as a result, is a thing I love on VF and actualyl hate on Tekken. In VF for 99% of moves, you can tell their hit-level with certanity just by seeing them. In Tekken, I am afraid to esitmate but hell, it will probably be under 60%.
      PurpGuy, Myke and BLACKSTAR like this.
    2. Myke
      Myke
      @Unicorn I don't know if you're being serious or sarcastic with your description of the wacky hit levels (highs hitting below the knees?!?) but you gave me a chuckle! :D

But to your point about visually communicating information (like hit levels), while VF isn't perfect, I think it's probably the best out there. In my brief time trying to learn SCVI, I was amazed at how unintuitive some attack animations were with respect to their actual hit level. It's almost like they artificially changed the hit level after the animation was created for "gameplay reasons" without bothering to adjust the animation accordingly.

BTW, @GustavoHeisenberg and @Sebo: your latest exchange of insults have been deleted from this thread. Take it to PM if you really care to continue.
      GustavoHeisenberg, PurpGuy and Sebo like this.
    3. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      SEGA can still make a 10 times better Virtua Fighter than Bamco.

When i see Tekken 7 or Soul Calibur 6 in 2017/2018 and then Virtua Fighter 5/VF5FS from 2006/2012... No, we absolutely don't need them.

and of course i want it to be a SEGA game, it's like asking if i want Smash to stay a Nintendo game.

Get fucked Tekken fans or DOA fans, stop asking for VF stuffs coming to your fighting games (SEGA or VF guest characters, cross over, and now they want to make our game...). If you want some Virtua Fighter, just play VF5FS and wait for VF6.
      JCnextinc, Adamay and PurpGuy like this.
    4. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      Lol Law players are gonna be useing the fuck outta that attack!
      PurpGuy likes this.
    5. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      Well how do you explain that confusing [6][6][P][+][K][+][G] attack Kage has? You know one of those Lows that hit at the waist you mentioned.
      PurpGuy likes this.
    6. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      Well can you explain why some attacks force crouch on block? Or why throws will miss when off axis? Or why is there even a such thing as being off axis?
    7. Lygophilia
      Lygophilia
      Regardless, I'm not sure if I'll like it. I haven't really liked the series since 3rd and 4th one. It's gotten harder for me to connect with both last and current gen games, but I'm hoping that will change. I miss that "rush" from this genre.
    8. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      There are exceptions to the rule, that being a particularly notorious one. But for the most part, the moves are quite intuitive in VF.
      PurpGuy likes this.
    9. TexasLion
      TexasLion
      With VF's blueprint already established, I can see how a creative and talented developer/producer can improve and build upon it and give us a quality product and sequel worthy of the VF name. I'd give it every possible chance. If I end up not liking it, it won't be because I didnt give it every shot or because I'm bias against any company that isn't SEGA making it. That's just dumb.

I bet there's a ton of ideas other developers have that would work in a VF system that they just can't implement in another fighting game franchise like Tekken, for one reason or another. Maybe fresh eyes and ideas from another developer is just what this franchise needs.
      PurpGuy and Myke like this.
    10. Kidvid711
      Kidvid711
      Just give the license to YuSuzuki to make Fighters Megamix 2 so he can add a Shenmue character in It Ryo
      PurpGuy and beanboy like this.
    11. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      Well there's also Aoi's bt [2][P] which i eventually found out was a low. Even though it looks like a mid.
      PurpGuy likes this.
    12. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      Sure, I agree there are exceptions. Vanessa Intercept Stance K is another that can be confusing for example.
      PurpGuy likes this.
    13. Dreamboat
      Dreamboat
      Lion 1K......
      PurpGuy likes this.
    14. Libertine
      Libertine
      I was referring to what you said here:

These are all innovations VF made prior to 1998, are they not?

Anyway, no, I don't think that there needs to be "major innovations" with each new version of a fighting game. I was just wondering how fair it is to expect any fighting game to introduce many as far as gameplay is concerned since the turn of the century. This was a tangent from my point that I don't think that Tekken can evolve very much because of the kind of game that it is.
      PurpGuy likes this.
    15. Libertine
      Libertine
      Um, gravity? Downward force? I don't know. Which attacks do you mean? I'm thinking of axe kicks and such. Why does Jacky's SS [P] force a crouch? Being knocked backwards? It's the developer's choice of effect...

Why wouldn't throws miss off axis? If someone tried to grab you and you side stepped, are you telling me that it wouldn't miss?

Why is there such a thing as off axis? You're hit during a side step and the attacker doesn't realign with you. Bamco should make more stuff track off axis, because it's annoying.
      PurpGuy likes this.
    16. PurpGuy
      PurpGuy
      Mortal Kombat was the first block button iirc
      Myke likes this.
    17. Seidon
      Seidon
      I'm in.

I was a teenager when VF5 came out and I started playing.

30 now.

Hurry up.
      Shinobi, PurpGuy, MadeManG74 and 2 others like this.
    18. Lygophilia
      Lygophilia
      I think it was either out of Konami's Galactic Warriors or Sega's Champion Boxing from the mid 1980s of the Pre-Street Fighter era. Each had 3 buttons, one is for blocking. Many of the gameplay innovations happened with Konami's fighters at the time, Shanghai Kid (combos) and Brian Jack Uchi Mata (the first with controller motions), but unfortunately modern ones take credit for nearly all of them.
      PurpGuy and MadeManG74 like this.
    19. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      I totally fucking agree. Thankfully VF doesnt have this problem with off axis....execpt with wall combos. But that shit is apparent when is happens.
      PurpGuy likes this.
    20. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      Lol everyone forgets about Pit Fighter... Which predates Mortal Kombat.
      PurpGuy likes this.