1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Neko Dojo's 2AFC Approach

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Sep 16, 2013.

By akai on Sep 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    For those seeking to learn and improve on their VF play, there are many good resources already available. For example, video tutorials and the VFDC Wiki. However, textbook-like resources that allow people to follow chapters sequentially for effective understanding is sorely lacking. The Neko Dojo team, the makers of Virtua Wrecker 5 Final Showdown and many other videos showcasing very damaging setups, presents their textbook-like resource 2AFC Approach (see below for Table of Contents).

slide.jpg

The goal of 2AFC Approach (Two-Alternative Forced Choice or what VFers might know as "nitaku") is to make players think of most situations as a choice between 2 actions. However, the overall message the Neko Dojo team wants to impart to beginners and intermediate players are:
    The 2AFC Approach is an ongoing work. It is unique for having both a Japanese and English text version. Not only is it a beneficial resource to new players, but it also contain valuable information for experienced players. What I like about 2AFC Approach is that it builds on preexisting resources with additional information. So check out Neko Dojo's 2AFC Approach! I will update the Table of Contents below as more blog entries are posted.

2AFC Table of Contents
    (last updated June 20, 2015)​
    2AFC Approach: Preface
    1. How to Reduce Input Lag (English / 日本語)
    2. General Properties of Attacks (English / 日本語)
    3. Attack Analysis (English / 日本語)
    4. Advantage and Disadvantage (English / 日本語)
    5. Top Tips for Command Input
    6. Attack Levels
    7. Training 1 (English / 日本語)
    8. General Strategy: Collision Detection (English / 日本語)
    9. General Properties of Foot Stance (English / 日本語)
    10. General Properties of Throw
    11. Fuzzy Guarding
    12. Catch Throws and Guard Breaks
    13. High Throws at Large Advantage

About the Neko Dojo Team
    The Neko Dojo team is composed of Hokkaido VFers: Academi-ya who writes majority of the text and manages their blog and Nachi Nozawa who edits majority of the videos. In addition, KEN KEN sometime helps with the making of the videos. Neko Dojo was originally created by Academi-ya in 2003 for Virtua Fighter 3 to 5. In 2010, he created the current blog for Final Showdown. Due to increasing workload, Academi-ya took less of the center stage on the blog's contents. However, seeing a lack of a textbook-like resource available, and that the success of that resource would require a seasoned player with knowledge of the VF system, he decided to write the 2AFC Approach.​

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. akai
      akai
      Some of the figures in the blog entries suggest the reader to look at the images’ Input Display for more details. I assume most regular players understand how to analyze it (for those that do, ignore this post!). For those that don’t, I think learning how to interpret it will help you in reading some of the 2AFC blog entries and also to analyze your own executions in the game:
      input_display.jpg

The above figure is the Input Display option available in Final Showdown’s Training and Replay mode. The numbers displayed are a measure of time by units of frames (1 frame equals 1/60th of a second). Column A displays the length of time that has passed from a neutral state (no buttons or direction were pressed) to when a direction and/or button(s) were pressed (white numbers). In the last row, no inputs are pressed (G). Column B displays the length of time in which a direction and/or button(s) were pressed until release (yellow numbers). The direction and/or button(s) that were pressed are shown in Column C. A direction and/or button(s) that is still being pressed when another direction and/or button(s) is pressed or released are marked in the Input Display window with a thick gray line (D and E).

Try to answer the questions below to see if you fully understand how to read the Input Display window and basic math! The Input Display shown above was after Akira executed Koboku [2][1][4][P]

Based on the Input Display window how many and what type of attacks did Akira performed?
      Three attacks were performed by Akira. The first attack is Yakuho Chouchu [6][6][6][P] (D). The second and third attack is Zanshu [K][+][G] (E and F). Note that the first Zanshu command input, the Akira player pressed the [K] button 1 frame earlier than the [G] button, but it still executed as Zanshu instead of Shoutai [K] or Cancelled Shoutai [K][G]
      Based on the Input Dispay Window, how long did it take for the Akira player to complete the command input of the first attack (from the first input press to last input)?
      18 frames (f) which is ~0.3 seconds [6] (3f+5f) [6] (2f+4f) [6] (3f+1f) [P]
      Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
      academi-ya, G0d3L, Tricky and 2 others like this.
    2. no_w_h_ere
      no_w_h_ere
      academi-ya likes this.
    3. Tricky
      Tricky
      thnx akai, I didn't have full understanding of those numbers b4.
      academi-ya likes this.
    4. akai
      akai
      Kruza explanation is right on!

I used the input display mostly when trying to find the right timing of inputs. For example, you can use it to try to get the timing correct for the 0-frame delay of moves with dash input (see 2AFC Chapter 5, Part 2, Figure 5-5 and 5-6).
      academi-ya likes this.
    5. Tricky
      Tricky
      I liked Kruza's answer too, but I have to say I like your a lot more. It was just more explicit what everything was. Also the test questions with real move examples made things a lot easier to conceptualize. It make things more concrete and less abstract. Lets face it, input display numbers and junk is a very abstract concept to grasp, so it's nice to have real moves and stuff be explained. I'll be looking at my inputs more closely for sure.
      academi-ya likes this.
    6. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Dear Akai,

We would like to express our sincere gratitude for careful examination of Input Display. That had escaped my memory. From my heart, I apologize for the confusion. Thank you again for your good thoughts.

With best regards,
      academi-ya
      oneida likes this.
    7. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

Part 4 of Attack Levels has been posted on Neko-Dojo.

We add Top Tip for recognition of advantage mentioned in chapter 4. In addition, an exceptional utility of Special Mid Attack will be demonstrated in this article.

The key note is that:
       the knowledge of concepts is one of essential way to put them into practice.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    8. Darksoul173
      Darksoul173
      academi-ya: is it ok to ask you guys to add a small translation for your vids (summary of chapter 6 for example)? even something very simple like annonations on youtube
      and thanks for all the info on the blog it's very helpfull
      academi-ya likes this.
    9. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi darksoul 173,

It is currently being consulted with Nachi Nozawa who edits majority of the videos. However, I'm on a business trip. Please wait a moment now. I hope that you will understand this situation.

Sincerely,
      academi-ya
      Tricky likes this.
    10. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

The first chapter of Training has been posted on Neko-Dojo. Alternating with theoretical chapters, like the last one, will be training chapters, like this one, which would help with getting your hands and eyes trained to put the theories into practice.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
      Myke, akai and no_w_h_ere like this.
    11. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      @academi-ya
      in training 7-2, chapter III, you wrote
      I assume the proper statement for this training is
      Also in 7-4 chapter III, you wrote
      Should be
      Just small detail, nothing important. And thank you a LOT for this awesome posts in english! :D
      Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
      academi-ya likes this.
    12. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Dear Unicorn:

We greatly appreciate your identification. According to your reasonable suggestion, we have revised the original article. I hope that you will find an improvement in the revised article.

With best regards,
      academi-ya
    13. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

The first chapter of General Strategy, Collision Detection, has been posted on Neko-Dojo. In General Strategy chapters, we discuss important points that apply to the whole of Virtua Fighter rather than one particular area.

[​IMG]

The most important message in this chapter is that:
       you have to be particular about the choice of mid attacks before plunging into an undesired situation.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      Unicorn and no_w_h_ere like this.
    14. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

I apologize deeply for the delay in posting articles. However, I'm on a business trip. Please wait a moment now. I hope that you will understand this situation.

Sincerely,
      academi-ya
      jimi Claymore and Zass like this.
    15. akai
      akai
      Academi-ya, there is no need to apologize! I look forward to new entries when you are not as busy.
      academi-ya likes this.
    16. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

The first chapter of Strategy 2, Foot Stance, has been posted on Neko-Dojo.

[​IMG]

To put out opponent from ring with attacks, all you have to do is to recognize own Foot Stance. In contrast, to drive opponent into the end of the ring with throws, you should recognize opponent’s Foot Stance.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
    17. Tricky
      Tricky
      omg YES Thanks @academi-ya your stuff has been helping me lvl up in more novel ways. Love you stuff!
      academi-ya likes this.
    18. phanatik
      phanatik
      Teach me the ways. LOL
      academi-ya likes this.
    19. jimi Claymore
      jimi Claymore
      It has been a while since the last update...
      someone knows what happened?
      academi-ya likes this.
    20. Tricky
      Tricky
      is he not longer making theses?!
      academi-ya likes this.