1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

New To VF, what should I do, where should I go

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by RaidenNC, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Welcome to the forums pestilence!

This link should answer your questions...

http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/doku.php?id=vf5:system_part_1#on_the_ground

2. pestilence

pestilence Member

Thx dood.

3. Rakarr

Rakarr Member

Hi new to VF5 and could use advice

Hello every one. I've done 50 ranked matched in past couple days since I've had the game. I don't got the greatest record, but didn't think I would... Anyways I've been just playing with Goh and I think I'm doing alright... Most my fights been against those currently above my skill lvl (I usually adapt and learn fast in fighters), thus I been taking a heavy number of L's. However I've ran into a few other fellow "noobs", and beat on them pretty well... so really it is kinda difficult at the moment to judge exactly where my skill lvl is at thus far.

Anyways any advice on using Goh?

4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    xX_SETTRA_Xx
    XBL:
    xX SETTRA Xx
    Re: Hi new to VF5 and could use advice

Hello Rakarr,
    I would like to play against you, if you life in Europe.
    I guess Im an average player, so I dont know how much advice I can give to you, but fell free to add me.

Anyway, welcome to VFDC

5. Rakarr

Rakarr Member

K I sent you a friend request on XBL.

6. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin

My friend Mackfactor is a goh player, a good one, I think he can show you a few things in mirror matches on live, I'll ask him.

7. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega

hey RAKARR, hey i main goh, im somewhat new if u dont mind, but i know alot about goh.. i been playing vf now for like 9 months. I could help u out. Ill send u a personal msg, and tell u which acnt to add. this accnt is full.
    Hey if u dont mind, in order for me to teach you goh stuff.
    Can u print out the frame data for GOH, and ill show u, but its hard for me to teach without it. If you dont Fuzzy or take defensive actions with goh or not know whats punishable or safe etc, goh is limited.

BTW, goh is a solid character. But, he requires alot of work as in, u should prob study other characters too.. His offense isnt great... hes very linear.. But if u got a good def, goh can be very strong.

If you can, maybe look at what
    ETEG= evade throw escape
    TE
    FUZZY
    CF

if u can look for the definiations of those, that would help to

8. Rakarr

Rakarr Member

Yeah I'm down to learn some Goh stuff for sure. I don't got a printer, but I got my computer right here by my xbox... I think I'll be fine though. I'm better at just seeing things in my head anyways.

9. aarenlainey

aarenlainey New Member

The above mentioned tips are quite helpful for a new Virtua Fighters, one should follow this in order to become a good fighter here.

10. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    icy msg me again if u wanna play again.. i assume u dont play anymore so i took u off..
    nothing personal..
    I have way too much ppl to add and play that i cant have ppl on my list who arent on VF all the time.

so for future ref. anyone that added me, who dont play VF anymore i delete asap. but if u r deleted and still wanna play just msg me thanks.

AS regards to training new ppl. Ask kaminaryi oyagi, he is a great teacher. i need to concentrate on my own game and i have no time to help out with new ppl atm, maybe i will again, but not now

11. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Somebody needs to sticky Macks post, I've seen the same one for months now! [​IMG]

12. New VF player and I play Brad mostly. Any tips?

I usually play Brad, but I can't seem to get his "Step-in Knee~Fake Jab~Body Crush Middle" combo on the Command Training or any of the sliding combos. Any tips? Another question I had was for the offline quest mode. I'm currently stuck on 9th Dan and my exp bar isn't going up (it's been like this for about 40-50 matches), anyone know why? Lastly I know you can buy the pink light bracelets in the item shop but i've been seeing a lot of online people with blue ones and some people with odd prop weapons/items, are these items only attainable through item battles or do I have to reach a certain rank/complete an achievement? Any help is good help ^ ^ thnks!

13. KingofcarnageVF

KingofcarnageVF Well-Known Member

Re: New VF player and I play Brad mostly. Any tips?

the answer is..... Look in the console section' please...

14. Re: New VF player and I play Brad mostly. Any tips?

o.o k thnks

15. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Re: New VF player and I play Brad mostly. Any tips?

I believe the command you're asking about is [4][K][+][G][K]~[P][K]. The trick here is that you must enter the [P] really quickly before the [K] even has a chance to come out.

You can also do the Fake Jab after [4][K], so if you managed to do that in Command Training, then the timing should be the same.

It's likely because you're not fighting opponents on or close (within one) to your rank. Try playing in other arcades and seek out opponents on a similar level.

If you see an item (for your character) that isn't available in the shop, then it must be acquired either in an item battle, or getting promoted to a certain rank. Additionally, some items are available as DLC only.

No worries. The New Starter forum is a place where beginners shouldn't be afraid to ask any question. As KingOfCarnage mentions, in a round-about way, you may find answers to your questions by browsing/searching other forums. For Brad specific info (e.g. performing certain commands), try the Brad forum, and for console specific info (e.g. rankings) try the Console forum.

Welcome to VFDC!

16. Re: New VF player and I play Brad mostly. Any tips?

Thanks man! Great reply

17. Righteous_Dream

Righteous_Dream Active Member

Playing for sometime

Hey guy's. I've been playing VF5 on xbox for about a month and, a half. I'm pretty settled with Jacky until VF5FS when I can start learning Jean Kujo. However, don't know how to train or, if i'm training properly. I'm somewhat of a hardcore DOA/SC player but TBH in terms of technical play neither are really as technical as VF (well a little portion of alpha patroklos). Anyway's when I train to learn a new game in both DOA/SC I go through the characters moves and familiarize myself with what characters can but VF is different the characters have so many different moves that I feel like i'm approaching the game the wrong way.

So far I've been going over the weight class, defense fundamentals (grab breaking, fuzzy guarding,), understanding the difference between open/closed stance and Jacky's Frame data. I've been playing online matches but, I get raped everytime (of course i'm not expecting to learn such a technical game in a short period of time). So what all should I be looking for to improve? At my current skill which isn't that great what should I be aiming for?

18. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Re: Playing for sometime

Get Raped everytime? How so? Is there a weakness you believe exists in your game that opponents are exploiting? Losing is no bad thing, the people still playing online tend to be pretty decent at the least. What are you taking away from your defeats?

In terms of training, i'd usually recommend doing things in this order;

• Learn all of you characters moves
    • Learn basic non character specific combos
    Then
    • Learn to spot generic attacks from all the cast (jab, [2][P], 14f mid, midkick, 17/18f launcher, OM [P] and OM [K]
    • Learn relevant responses for those attacks (Fuzzy G, CD Fuzzy, ETEG, TEG.
    Have you done all of the above?

19. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

Make sure to read the System for more information. You'll learn how to play the game with any character. Then you can move on to Jacky specifics.

Also, think about fighting in terms of taking turns. If my attack hits, it's still my turn to attack. If my attack is blocked, it's my opponent's turn to attack.

20. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug

Playing against other Jacky players and copying their setups, combos and pacing also helps.