1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

2P or not 2P?

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Jul 7, 2017.

By Myke on Jul 7, 2017 at 2:31 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Every now and then the topic of the Low Punch makes the rounds, and when it does it seems to polarise the community. This debate recently surfaced again on the VFDC Shoutbox, where criticisms of the 2P varied from the functional (nerf 2P or should players just get better?) to the aesthetic (does punching someone in the shin look ridiculous?) From a simplistic RPS analogy, the Low Punch is the "paper" that beats the Standing Punch "rock" which makes it universally important to the core of Virtua Fighter and has been subject to a number of refinements over the entire series. Let's revisit this age-old philosophical debate and let us know where you stand -- or sit (hah!) -- on low punching!

2p-or-not-2p.png

Here's the recent Shoutbox conversation below that inspired this article. It has been slightly edited for layout and relevance:

social_ruin: Ups at ytpme. i say that as a mediocre vf player. btw nerf 2p. it's vf achilles heel.
    MarlyJay: I'd like 2P to be changed to a low jab to the body. keep it as a special low and have the character doing it stumble or have a special animation so it still loses to airborne frames. Similar to sidekick and backdash
    BLACKSTAR: wow thats a cool idea
    BLACKSTAR: in that way, everybody would have there own version of sway, in a weird way
    MarlyJay: Yeah. It could function the same but be far better looking and more realistic
    Superkh13: I don't really have an issue with it currently, but this is nice idea.
    oneida: nerf 2P?
    BLACKSTAR: from my impression, what marly was talking about is mainly changing more of how 2p looks rather than how it functions
    BLACKSTAR: that would be a good change, imo, because the game would still play the same, but you wont see people trading crotch punches back and forth
    BLACKSTAR: it would look less silly
    Ytpme_Secaps: The look of 2p is so old. Id be worried to change it, but maybe it could work
    Tricky: change is the spice of life
    MarlyJay: BlackStar gets it. 2p is the dumbest looking move in the game, but functionally important. So change it to look like an actual move used in fighting, but keep the function the same.
    Stl_Tim: What animation would 2p changed too exactly?! Low backfist already exists, so a contorted looking 2p perhaps?
    MarlyJay: Tim, I said in the original post "low jab to the body". This, rather than a crouching punch to the knees, which is what the move essentially is now

Wait! Before you chime in on the low punch, here are some great discussions from the past to give you some food for thought!

Game design decision behind the 2P mechanic
    by @Mlai, Jun 12, 2012.

Mlai started this thread questioning the design decision behind the 2P. From his new player's perspective he states that "it feels overpowered for such a stupid-looking move", and ultimately has concern over the first impression it leaves for new players:

A valid concern, no?

There are some thought-provoking replies shared in this thread, including advice in how to deal with / improve one's response to the low punch. Of particular note is @Krye post sharing insights into demystifying the power of the 2P (incidentally, this was the draft to an unfinished article - shame!), and @White_Worm's part-philosophical-part-tongue-in-cheek analysis of the symbiotic relationship between 2P, P and… Tekken!?

Interestingly, this conversation which is approximately 5(!) years old is still pretty relevant today. But if you're willing to delve deeper into Fighting Game design theory, then the following thread might also interest you:

High, Mid, Low blocking - A different approach
    by @El_Twelve, Jun 16, 2011

This greatly detailed thread by @El_Twelve is a general discussion on alternative approaches to the traditional High, Mid, Low blocking mechanic prevalent in most (if not all) popular, competitive Fighting Games today. He shares examples from Fighting Games of the past that used a different mechanic, which may open your eyes and mind to other possibilities, while pointing out the deficiencies with the traditional guard system:

I highly recommend you take the time to read this thread, but the big take-away is the ability to guard while moving forward.

The most recent game to exhibit the advancing guard mechanic was Ubisoft's For Honor which also employed a 3-point guard system. Is For Honor's failure to crack into the big-time competitive Fighting Game space (ala esports) indicative of poor fighting game mechanic (i.e. the 3-point advancing guard system), a poor implementation of a good concept (i.e. overcomplicating the meta game), or a combination of both?

In Closing
    The Low Punch, as benign or powerful you think it to be, is but one simple part in a much larger, more complex system. And it stands to reason that the overall success, or value, of the Fighting Game is greater than the sum of its parts. That is to say, it's the combination of all the different parts, their relationships and interactions, that make the Fighting Game what it is.

So before you're quick to complain, criticise or get frustrated over one thing like the Low Punch, the answer isn't necessarily to change it, but perhaps to change your understanding of how it works within the bigger picture. Because unless you're working for SEGA, you have a 0% chance of changing anything within the game, but 100% chance to change and improve yourself.

Let us know what your position is on the Low Punch and/or fighting game design in general!

If you're a non-registered reader, then you're probably not even aware of the VFDC Shoutbox. It's a little gadget that lives in the sidebar of the site where you can chat in real-time with other registered VFDC users.

upload_2017-7-7_16-27-19.png
    It's really useful for organising matches online, general chit-chat and the occasional philosophical debate! Registration is free, and the site remains ad-free thanks to donations from its generous users.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      Yeah but wasn't the discussion was using a fast mid instead of a low crushing move to deal with 2p? Lion and Sarah's Mids are hop kicks, which crushes lows. But are slow and can be beat out by faster standing attacks.
    2. El_Twelve
      El_Twelve
      Thanks for the shout out Myke! It's been a while since I've delved into game theory, and there are some great comments there which gave me lots to think about.

2P aesthetics:
      My take on the aesthetics of 2P haven't really changed from 6 years ago. There's some room for improvement. While the current 2P animation works well in off-the-ground combos, I'm not a big fan of punching the thighs or shin.

(from the old thread)
      If you punch someone in the thigh, well the guy's crotch is only a few inches up and that would make a much better target. Also, the thigh being quite a curved surface, it's really hard to get a good punch in without sliding off and wasting most of your energy. You don't have this problem with Muay Thai style kicks to the thigh because you're hitting with your shin, which is a lot easier to aim than a fist.

I would also never ever try to punch someone in the shin. One of the largest and most sturdy bones in the body against the many little bones in my finger... Unless my fist is magical it's not going to be in my favour.

I'd prefer low punch animations to be angled up towards the stomach, like in Street Fighter 1, but this will look weird when they're used in bound combos.

2P function:
      I personally think of 2P as a panic switch. It's for situations where you know you've lost the neutral game and you just gotta get this guy off you for a moment and compose yourself. As such, I think the advantage you get from a 2P hit is too much of an added bonus. I prefer VF3 in which you get less of a frame advantage on counter hit, and most characters only get back to neutral at best on normal hit. This way the move still serves its purpose as a panic switch, but there's less incentive for repeated use, and mid-level play will be a lot more fun.

However, on the other side of the arguement, I think we may have some of the best things about VF because of the current incarnation of 2P. As said in the old thread, 2P being strong encourages people to develop better spacing.

One more thing which makes 2P good for the game though, is that it's a simple and effective stop to people running up in your face. Before 2P was buffed in VF4, we used to see a lot more of that in VF2(especially because of option select throws) and VF3. Many players wouldn't bother to learn spacing, and would just dash in and throw when they had advantage. This put a lot of other fighting gamers off VF because new players were getting destroyed by dash-in high damage throw/mid nitakus. 2P being strong AND being able to turn the tables frame advantage wise stops the abuse of forward dashing, and encourages people to learn proper spacing instead.

Interestingly, one of my favourite comments about VF's 2P came from watching a Dead Or Alive stream in which one player was using Pai. Paraphrasing, the commenter basically said "You know it's a Virtua Fighter character, so you know 2P is strong and you know it's coming. You can't let that intimidate you."

On For Honor:
      For Honor had a whole bunch of problems in both publishing and gameplay. I have never played the game myself though, so my viewpoints will be severely lacking in many areas. No offline multiplayer meant that you needed at least 2 consoles for every match in a tournament, and due to the camera, you could only follow 1 player's viewpoint at a time unless you had a 3rd console as a spectator. Gameplay wise, I quite like the system, but the stamina bar coupled with strong defensive options made many players feel the risks for hyper offensive playstyles far outweighed the rewards. Thus the pace of the game became slow and lumbering to many. Another glaring flaw of 3D games with 1st person or over the shoulder cameras is the difficulty of depth perception, making judging distances hard. The last big flaw for me is due to the nature of the game, it's hard for casual audiences to tell how much of a fight is skill and how much is wild swinging. For these and other reasons I think For Honor failed to live up to its potential, even though I and many others love it as a concept.

On the advancing guard:
      We've seen some innovations on being able to move forward while guarding. In some versions of KOF, Ryo has a move where he steps forward and it has a few block frames in it. It is an amazing tool for closing distance and breaking out of difficult situations, and the distance covered can be quite significant in some versions of the game.

Something more extreme I can remember is one of the gems in Street Fighter X Tekken. There was a gem which automatically blocked for you as long as you were not pressing buttons. It meant players with that gem equipped could just walk up to their opponents and be hyper aggressive, never worrying about that quick footsie that they didn't see. Most people hated it because it flew in the face of everything Street Fighter, but it showed the potential of how scary a character could be if they could freely block while moving forward.
    3. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      Why I can not like this article more then once? o_O

@Myke - take this as a feature request please ;)
      Ellis and Myke like this.
    4. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      It must be a Slow year so far....
      jimi Claymore likes this.
    5. kungfusmurf
      kungfusmurf
      [​IMG] To Jump Kick or Not to Jump Kick?
      Harpooneer and Jason Elbow like this.
    6. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      They improved all the jump. F.S has the best animation for jump kicks
    7. JCnextinc
      JCnextinc
      The Idea of a stagger instead of a K.O at the end of a round is interesting. But maybe unfair if at the end of the round (when both opponent's life bar remains the same) if you guess right but have to change all the rules just for a small life finishing move.
      IMO just replace the K.O animation by a new cool anckle crumple animation (no floating) even in counter hit. But it's only an aesthetic choice.
    8. NGKrush
      NGKrush
      What if you look at the 2p as a universal parry against highs and slow moves with a low reward (the risk is still pretty high if someone knows you're gonna do it). I mean, most fighting games have a universal parry/reverse system (sf3 has parrys, sf4 has focus, sf5 has the v-reverse, tekken has low parry, etc.) and I think that all vf characters lean on the same universal systems of sidestep, p, 6p,2p, throws makes the game already naturally more balanced than other fighters.
      This doesn't solve the aesthetic of the move, but might help you get over the fact that it's there (if you do have issues with it..)

Secondly, the other thread is discussing if a 3-point guarding system would be more interesting than a 2-point one. I don't want to bump up that old thread, so I'll ask here: what about a 1-point guarding system? if 3-points makes the game too complex, what would the effects of a 1-point system be? Smash already uses it to great effect and there was a fighting game on the n64 called fighters destiny that also used a button that evaded most moves in the game, it had a similar "point" scoring system instead of a lifebar too.
      With the amount of guard-breaks in vf, sometimes the mid/guardbreak mixup is already so strong that if you would let characters auto block lows (so they basically become "mids" (because all moves are technically mids with a 1-point system), but with a visual difference, still able to be crushed) and use alternatives such as more frame advantage on block and guardbreaks to keep the RPS system going. Maybe this is a terrible idea, but I'm just throwing it out there to see how you guys feel about it.
    9. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      2P is ok on a great 3 bars connection or offline, maybe they should make it at 12 frames.
    10. Kohlrak
      Kohlrak
      since realism is a thing for VF, i'm a bit partial to using the IRL 2P: which is a kick. The problem is, the real kick would not crush highs. The issue comes from (and this is why i liked DoA for so long) that, IRL, it's not unrealistic to do 2 things at once. You can parry a high jab while doing a low kick (IRL, that's what you'd be doing, anyway). Unfortunately, it's next to impossible to model this kind of behavior into a game in any simple manner, when 3d fighters are already pretty complex to begin with. When it comes to aesthetics, we need to understand that it looks wrong because it's replacing an IRL mechanic that just can't simply be modeled well in game. If they wanted to give it an extra frame or two of active (which wouldn't really hurt it), they could easily turn those straight punches to the knees into hook shots in the calves.
    11. MarlyJay
      MarlyJay
      Actually in VF it'd be really easy. You could have a standing low kick that sabaki's all high attacks for example. There are plenty of things that could be done, with any number of animations that would visually make more sense and maintain the same in game functionality.
      Ellis likes this.
    12. Kohlrak
      Kohlrak
      The issue being that there's only a few ways of handling it realistically: the kick in which im thinking that would make the most sense as a universal 2k jab is a shin kick with the rear leg hitting with the bottom of the foot which would make the fighter stand rather tall. The sabaki would be a high punch parry exclusively. What makes the kick fast (although weak) and highly recoverable is that you go straight from your opponent's shin to a full step backwards.

Something i never understood in fighting games is, while punches are faster than kicks, a low punch should be slower than a low kick. Closest weapon to closest target was a good rule that bruce lee had, which means that anyone in a wide stance (not true of a low stance that's not wide) is a sucker for kicks. I'm a tall, overweight male and my footwork sucks, so i can tell you all about getting kicked. If your legs are more than an inch beyond shoulder-width apart, you are not going to block or evade a low or mid kick, realistically. And it can be a really slow as heck round kick, too.

TBH, i think fighting games (and the arts represented, since VF seems to lack universals where the arts do) could benefit from a few more universals. A good push kick (brad has one) that you can get at any time just to create some space for new players. I've been pulling off brad's push kick in some real sparring lately and it's gotten me out of situations that i otherwise had no answer to against way more experienced partners.