1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Showdown - Vanessa Resources

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by erdraug, Jun 3, 2021.

1. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Welcome to the Vanessa subforum :)

If you are unfamiliar with the incredible resource that VFDC is, let me help point you to the right places as you begin your journey to master this character. There's more information available if you poek around the forums but this shoudld get your strted. Consider this a landing page* of sorts.

Reading material:

1. VF5 Wiki

You can't be the best if you don't understand the game in general. Read through each of the system links and get familiar with how the game works.

2. Vanessa Wiki

General information on Vanessa. See Maki's Vanessa punishing the cast thread for individualized punishment vids against every character!

3. Vanessa Introduction & Vanessa Start Guide

Incredible reading material and insight from @acebreaker and Kaibutsu, highly respected Japanese Vanessa players. A huge thanks to @Modelah for the translation!

4. Vanessa top 10 moves discussion

These kinds of Top 10s tend to be subjective so I thought I would refer you to a forum thread this time. That said, as Vanessa's movelist is very long, opinions tend to vary wildly, so you might be interested in reading @MakiLeSushi 's Top 10 moves section in the wiki first.

5. Vanessa Strategy

This last wiki link lists Vanessa's options during some frequently occurring situations (such as frame advantage, sideblocking, wakeup etc.). I tried following wiki guidelines for content managers while compiling this information but I am not a tournament-level player, so take everything with a grain of salt. That said, I tried to include links towards each section's respective forum thread, so it's still a good launching-off point for even further reading :coffee:

Resources:

1. Vanessa Command List with Frame Data

This is worth keeping open while you practice and play. It's best to hit the "view" button in the upper right corner in order to set the display it to a flat list view so you can have everything on one page
    upload_2021-5-31_11-6-10.png
    The command list can be rearranged by clicking the columns headers at the top. So, for example, if you click on the "GRD" column header then the command list will be sorted based on each move's recovery when it is guarded. Clicking one time sorts from lowest-to-highest value; clicking another time sorts from highest-to-lowest.

20210603 141152 screenshot.png
    This is useful when looking at other characters moves as you can quickly find out what is block punishable (or, in this case, Defensive Style moves that grant advantage on block). You can of course use this to find out which are your fastest moves, or which moves have the most actives frames e.t.c. Have fun, there's a lot to discover here ;)

Additionally, you can click a move for a more detailed breakdown on it and an image of what the move looks like. This should really help you familiarize with Vanessa's movelist!

20210603 141435 screenshot.png

2. Vanessa Combo List

Here you can find a curated list of Vanessa combos. The guidelines for posting combos mean that most sub-optimal combos won't be featured in these combo lists (even if they re perfectly serviceable!) unless there is a legitimate reason for doing so. Despite that caveat, there's still a LOT of information to absorb, so you might want to refrain from using the flat list view option initially, to avoid getting overwhelmed.

For the most part, the Vanessa combo lists tend to be ordered in the following fashion: first are listed combos that work on everyone - including Taka who is the heaviest character - then progressively combos that only work on lighter characters. Most of the time this also means that combos are ordered from least to more damaging.

20210603 145959 screenshot.png

If you're unsure of what an input means, please hover over the icon for it and a handy box should appear explaining more.

To find combos for against a specific character you can simply click the icon for their name and it will filter only combos with that character in the list. This is great for those bigger or more awkward characters.

upload_2021-5-31_11-16-8.png
    Finally, just like the command list headers, the combo lists column headers are also clickable. This can be useful in case the combos are not ordered from least-to-most damaging e.g. Taka can take more combo damage than other characters after being hit by OS 4PK. By clicking the DMG column header and thus sorting the combos by damage you are be able to more easily visualize this information.

20210603 145122 screenshot.png

Further reading:

When you feel that you have Vanessa's wiki, movelist and combolist, you might want to level up your defense; a good place to start would be the Defensive Technique Compendium thread, where @Strider786 compiles the various defensive techniques available in this latest version of VF. These techniques apply to all characters, so it's a good way to branch out.

Otherwise, if you'd rather stay focused on Vanessa, you might want to visit some more Vanessa subforum threads (beside those already linked in wiki):

Watch List:

@MakiLeSushi 's Twitch channel
    @RayBlade 's Twitch channel
    @acebreaker 's YouTube channel
    kartika0227's YouTube channel
    monkichi's (monteru3) Twitch channel and Youtube Channel
    Shark's YouTube channel (thank you @Zero-chan !)
    Ryo's YouTube channel (don't be phased by the DOA vids, if you keep scrolling you'll find earlier VF vids) (thank you @Zero-chan !)
    Haitani's Mildom Page (among other games) (thank you @Zero-chan !)
    Polaris' Youtube channel

[To be Completed]

If you're creating content for Vanessa please send me a link to your twitch stream/youtube channel/socials, in order for me to add you to this section to help other Vanessa players find you. Likewise if you think there are any core resource missing from this list please let me know. For example, finding any of these Japanese Beat Tribe Vanessa players' youtube/streaming pages would be amazing :)

* I actively tried to mirror @Seidon 's landing page for El Blaze. Thank you for the inspiration :holla:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    KyouG likes this.
  2. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

erdraug likes this.